uniqs
share rss forum feed

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1

Dedicated Fax line?

Why would I get a Dedicated Fax line for $10 a month vs getting just a second line for $5 a month? Is there something I'm missing here?
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

4 edits

1 recommendation

said by not quite right:

Why would I get a Dedicated Fax line for $10 a month vs getting just a second line for $5 a month? Is there something I'm missing here?

In theory, the dedicated fax line is provisioned for optimal performance for fax transmission. This includes setting the ATA for maximum bandwidth, and also permanently disabling such things as call waiting, call forwarding, voicemail, and other such things that can interfere with proper fax transmission.

Most newer Vonage compatible ATAs will automatically change their settings for fax optimization when a fax tone is detected, but some older ATAs did have problems doing that (and I don't think that any of them will disable call waiting or call forwarding automatically when a fax tone is detected).

If you manually setup your second line to emulate the fax service settings, there should be no difference (but it will need to be an actual second line and not just a second number). Your mention of $5 per month makes me think that you may be thinking of a second number and not a second line, and there is a big difference.

EDIT: I just logged into my account, and clicked on "Add a Line", and I did not see any $5 per month plan offered (the cheapest was a $9.99 "bait and switch" offer. I did however see the $4.99 Virtual Phone Number feature. A Virtual Phone Number would not be a good choice for fax usage because it is not really a second line, and you would need to permanently disable call waiting, call forwarding, and voice mail for your primary number to make it work reliably with faxes (and you would also not be able to fax and talk at the same time, since it is not really a second line...and there would also be the problem of not knowing whether or not an incoming call was a fax or a voice call until you answered the phone).
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
reply to not quite right
Thank you for the reply NetFixer very helpful...

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
Another thing to consider (that I forgot to mention in my previous post) is that you may want to do some extensive fax testing using your current Vonage line before getting either a new dedicated fax line or another voice line to use for faxing.

I was able for years to use a Vonage dedicated fax line with my AT&T DSL service with no problems. But after I switched to Comcast, sending and receiving faxes became a very iffy operation. I finally had to get RingCentral fax service because faxing with Vonage over my Comcast connection was so unreliable. Right now (after Comcast loaded a newer firmware to their SMC cable gateway box), I can send and receive faxes again using a Vonage line, but I have not canceled my RingCentral account because the next SMC firmware update (or some minor change in Comcast's CMTS) could just as easily kill Vonage faxing again.
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower