spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

YogiYahooeys

join:2004-08-17
Evansville, IN

[CATV] Time Warner implements Copy Protection flag (CCI)

I went to dub an old movie (unavailable on DVD) that I had recorded to my DVR from TCM a couple weeks ago onto my DVD recorder this morning and found that the copy protection flag (CCI) has now been set for Insight customers (or at least for me). I haven't gotten a chance to check everything yet, but a short bit of research suggests that this is something that TWC has been implementing everywhere for all non-over the air channels.

It looks like the honeymoon is over for me and TWC. Heck, the marriage is over. It's time for me to take another look at WOWWAY I guess. I'm not going to stick with a provider that tells me that my simple DVD Recorder is an illegal device.

Allfirdup

join:2007-01-10
Reynoldsburg, OH

1 recommendation

you know TWC doesn't care if you copy the programming or not, but if the programming provider in this case TCM applies copy protection to their programming, they have to pass it along.

YogiYahooeys

Evansville, IN

Untrue, I've been doing this for years, and I've read up on TW. They are the ones that have decided to implement this on their own, universally without exception.

Allfirdup

Reynoldsburg, OH

1 edit

A simple google search will prove you wrong. Copyright control is at the request of the program owner. TWC is doing what all companies have to do. Insight had it inplace long ago, I know because it locked out some transfers on my TiVo.

YogiYahooeys

Evansville, IN

3 edits

Apparently, your google search was way too simple. Honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about. I was dubbing TCM movies yesterday. Please, if you have nothing useful to contribute...

Allfirdup

Reynoldsburg, OH

1 edit

I hate to interrupt - but here is something to read

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Contr···ormation

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
reply to YogiYahooeys

He's right... there's more companies than just Insight implementing this. Even a precursory look around our ISP forums here will show that.

YogiYahooeys

Evansville, IN

said by lilhurricane:

He's right... there's more companies than just Insight implementing this. Even a precursory look around our ISP forums here will show that.

I was never claiming that TWC was the only provider implementing it. From my searches, they *are* one of the providers that implement it more heavily than others.

Plus, my biggest point was that this was a new thing for former Insight customers (at least on the channels that I have previously dubbed, like TCM), which it is.

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN
kudos:1
reply to YogiYahooeys

I noticed last sunday I couldn't record Falling Skies on TNTHD because of DRM. Windows Media Center would jump down to the low definition TNT channel.

The workaround was edit the HD channel number to match the low def number..a channel tag swap

tspencer

join:2002-05-28
Lexington, KY
reply to YogiYahooeys

said by YogiYahooeys:

said by lilhurricane:

I was never claiming that TWC was the only provider implementing it. From my searches, they *are* one of the providers that implement it more heavily than others.

Plus, my biggest point was that this was a new thing for former Insight customers (at least on the channels that I have previously dubbed, like TCM), which it is.

Perhaps in your area but in Lexington, KY insight has been copy protecting almost their entire lineup for 2 years or so.

TWC is the very worst offender of unnecessary CCI flags and has been proven by many on the TiVo Community forums that the content provider in the majority of non-premium channel cases has not requested or required TWC to do so.

TWC is legally required to encrypt if requested to do so but they can also encrypt even without the content provider's permission, which is generally what they have done.

@rr.com
reply to ARGONAUT

Hmm well considering that windows media center respects drm. It should let you record and rewatch but not burn or share ,there is no reason to block it. Unless your using older media center and or a tuner card rather then a cable card tuner.

If thats the case, update media center or get a actual cable card tuner.

And if you are using a recent wmc and a cable card tuner, then shoot i would cord cut immediately and let them know why.

YogiYahooeys

Evansville, IN
reply to tspencer

said by tspencer:

said by YogiYahooeys:

said by lilhurricane:

Perhaps in your area but in Lexington, KY insight has been copy protecting almost their entire lineup for 2 years or so.

TWC is the very worst offender of unnecessary CCI flags and has been proven by many on the TiVo Community forums that the content provider in the majority of non-premium channel cases has not requested or required TWC to do so.

TWC is legally required to encrypt if requested to do so but they can also encrypt even without the content provider's permission, which is generally what they have done.

See now, this is what I had read about TWC and CCI flagging. I didn't realize that this had already been implemented in other Insight markets though. This was the first time that I had encountered it myself.

jpatton1979

join:2011-08-10
Lexington, KY
reply to YogiYahooeys

I can confirm what tspencer said. In Lexington Insight has had the CCI flag set to Copy Once for all channels that are not available via broadcast (ABC, NBC, CBS, etc) for quite some time.

Welcome to the club.