Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

exocet_cm

Premium Member

Jailbreak, Jailbreak, Jailbreak

No need to pay for crap you already pay for. Free for jailbroken phones.

Pirate515
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515

Premium Member

said by exocet_cm:

If I remember it correctly, AT&T was cracking down on those who were tethering without paying for the "privilege", even those on tiered plans. I think most of these were people with jailbroken iPhones. Chances are that they will probably do the same for FaceTime over 3G if they force people to pay for this "privilege" as well.

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm

Premium Member

said by Pirate515:

said by exocet_cm:

If I remember it correctly, AT&T was cracking down on those who were tethering without paying for the "privilege", even those on tiered plans. I think most of these were people with jailbroken iPhones. Chances are that they will probably do the same for FaceTime over 3G if they force people to pay for this "privilege" as well.

If it gets used a lot then AT&T takes notice. The occasional user is overlooked.

Pirate515
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515

Premium Member

said by exocet_cm:

If it gets used a lot then AT&T takes notice. The occasional user is overlooked.

I thought that they were looking for specific data patterns generated by common "workarounds" available for jailbroken phones, not only high data usage. As far as high data usage goes, they now cap those who are still on unlimited plans (after 3 GB I believe).

ieolus
Support The Clecs
join:2001-06-19
Danbury, CT

ieolus

They do what? How do they cap an unlimited plan?

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac

said by ieolus:

By slowing down speeds to 2G speeds; making your unlimited data over 3 GB unusable.

ieolus
Support The Clecs
join:2001-06-19
Danbury, CT

ieolus

I did not know that. Lovely.

Jerm
join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA
·Ziply Fiber

Jerm

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· aEQzTcW0

Check out the Google Maps example 5 minutes into the video.

That is the best "what this means to you" example of throttle/non-throttle I have seen.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to exocet_cm

Premium Member

to exocet_cm
Yup. And they don't crack down on the users who have tiered plans.
BiggA

BiggA to exocet_cm

Premium Member

to exocet_cm
Of course, that would only matter if I actually used Facetime...
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to Pirate515

Premium Member

to Pirate515
I would LOVE to see them admit that they know that the data being used by the user is in fact FaceTime data. There's other things people have on a JB iPhone as well which is the ability to download more than the 20mb data limit from iTunes.

Still don't see why AT&T is thinking about pulling this crap.. people are already being charged by the byte.. there is ABSOLUTELY no need for them to "charge" for that "privilege" since data is data.

If congress isn't asleep at the wheel, they will put an end to this type of practice/behavior. Then again, the government is king of applying multiple taxes to the same dollar... basically, we're fu_ked until the people vote people out.
fiberguy2

fiberguy2 to Morac

Premium Member

to Morac
said by Morac:

said by ieolus:

By slowing down speeds to 2G speeds; making your unlimited data over 3 GB unusable.

Correct.. they throttle speeds to 2G, which is very funny because they STILL claim that it's "unlimited 3G speeds, we're just slowing you down".. well, I know they love to play with the term "unlimited" but now apparently they're trying to redefine what "3G" is too.. not surprised since they all have already redefined what 4G is.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to Pirate515

Premium Member

to Pirate515
said by Pirate515:

said by exocet_cm:

Depends on how you do it. PDAnet and Mywi can mask thPe APN. If you use TetherMe it tricks it into enabling the native tethering app, AT&T is none the wiser.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to fiberguy2

MVM

to fiberguy2
said by fiberguy2:

Correct.. they throttle speeds to 2G, which is very funny because they STILL claim that it's "unlimited 3G speeds, we're just slowing you down".. well, I know they love to play with the term "unlimited" but now apparently they're trying to redefine what "3G" is too.. not surprised since they all have already redefined what 4G is.

Do they actually bump your connection down to 2G? Or do they leave it 3G between you and the tower and then throttle you down before leaving their network for the internet in general?

Once upon a time many moons ago, when I had Verizon 1.5 and 3mbit DSL, it wasn't uncommon during peak times for the DSLAM's DS3's backhaul to become saturated. While the connection between you and the CO remained the full speed you were provisioned at, you couldn't actually use it all. Yet the ISP could say that you are connected faster then cable and didn't suffer from congestion like you did on cable's shared node.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac

said by cdru:

said by fiberguy2:

Do they actually bump your connection down to 2G? Or do they leave it 3G between you and the tower and then throttle you down before leaving their network for the internet in general?

You'll still have a 3G connection; they will just throttle you down to 2G speeds until the next billing cycle.

»www.att.com/esupport/dat ··· 0000000U
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

It's actually about 250kbps, which is usually well above what EDGE can do, although properly set up (not most of AT&T's EDGE network) EDGE is about 190kbps.