how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

meowmeow

join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT

speculation

Of course Karl has NO IDEA and is purely speculating the double charging. AT&T may not count Facetime as data, instead deciding to classify it as a special type of minutes or something. It may work out CHEAPER than if it was counted as data, who knows?

And yes, the capability is there to classify traffic. Already done with MMS, it runs over the same APN but isn't counted.

Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX
The point is that data discrimination blows when it affects your bill in any way. AT&T won't ever get a dime from me.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium
join:2002-02-18
kudos:1
reply to meowmeow
said by meowmeow:

Of course Karl has NO IDEA and is purely speculating the double charging.

FaceTime in iOS 6 can go over cellular, but iPhones on AT&T get the attached screenshot. How lovely of AT&T. They already sell me 3GB of data, if AT&T require me to pay for another bundle of data to use FaceTime over cellular then that really is double charging.

However, I imagine AT&T will offer us FaceTime data packages that don't count against our 3GB limit.
--
less talk, more music

Timo JJ

@ecatel.net
reply to meowmeow
The AT&T-only iOS notification indicates pretty clearly to me that AT&T's getting ready to do what AT&T does best. Not sure what has your panties in a bunch.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to meowmeow
Of course meowmeow See Profile has to bash Karl without even reding the f'in article!

gballer

@reyrey.net
reply to meowmeow
LTR!!

nothing00

join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY
reply to Kamus
Here's the thing - you're not paying for data, minutes or anything else. What you're paying for is VALUE. Or, perceived value.

That way the price you pay can be completely decoupled from the actual cost of providing the service.

It's a crock but that's their reasoning. Basically, "if you like it, you'll pay".

meowmeow

join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT
reply to meowmeow
And, as it turned out I was semi-right. You have to switch to a current, usually more expensive, plan. But you don't get double-charged, per se.

I switched to a new plan, because I'm saving $10 a month. But I only get 1GB, not 2GB. I can stay under 1GB but I sure couldn't if I actually used the Facetime feature over cellular, LOL.