spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

egruber

join:2008-03-03

FIOS Wireless Speed Issues

We have speed problems with wireless. The wired speed is fine, but the router speed keeps dropping. Verizon sent us a new router, but it does the same thing. We reset it and it is fairly fast, but then it just gets slower and slower over days until we reset it again. The tech did something so that all our devices use channel 11 (I think) because he said there could be interference from other wireless networks in our area...but that hasn't helped. Any suggestions?

sapman986

join:2004-08-26
Fort Lee, NJ
Click for full size
I connected another Wireless N router to the Actiontec. That serves as a bridge and has proved to be much more robust. I have a 35/35 Mbps internet package and typically see faster than that (e.g. - 38/37 Mbps today) if I connect over the 5Ghz Wireless N connection.

There's not much setup involved. Nothing changes on the Actiontec. Aside from the standard stuff on the new router(e.g. - Rename the network and new password), you only need to turn off DHCP and connect a cable from a LAN port on 1 to a LAN port on the other (i.e. - just the standard LAN ports, not the WAN or 'incoming' internet ports).

I use a Cisco/Linksys E3000 for what it is worth.

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
If you don't do remote DVR or care about on screen caller ID you can ditch the Actiontec/Westell completely and use your own router, even for the STBs. You just need to connect a coax bridge to your router and hook it up to your coax and there is your coax internet LAN. STBs will pull IPs from whatever router you use that has DHCP configured.

For the wireless issue it most likely is interference. Your best bet is to download a program called inSSIDer or netstumbler (Older unsupported version, only works with b/g networks) and find out who all is around you and what channels they are all using. Find the one furthest from any others currently used. That'll give you the best throughput that you can get for your area.

egruber

reply to egruber
The tech already checked the other network channels and that is why he forced channel 11 for all of our connected devices. I do have a remote DVR and on screen caller ID, so I need the Verizon Router.

I don't understand why what sounds like piggybacking a second wireless router would improve the speed. What does the Cisco router do that the Verizon router cannot do? Aren't they more or less the same?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
said by egruber:

What does the Cisco router do that the Verizon router cannot do? Aren't they more or less the same?

No, they are not the same.

The Cisco suports the 5Ghz band and supports 40Mhz chanels.
Neither of which are supported in the Actiontec.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

egruber

reply to egruber
How can I be sure the interference from other networks is the cause? The tech was sure that hard-coding channel 11 would solve this problem. I don't want to invest in a router if I'm not sure of the cause.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA
said by egruber:

How can I be sure the interference from other networks is the cause? The tech was sure that hard-coding channel 11 would solve this problem. I don't want to invest in a router if I'm not sure of the cause.

If you have an android phone you can use a tool such as "wifi analyzer" you can see what channels various networks are on from your phone.

There are free ones for your laptop as well that will do the same thing and you visually see the overlap and you can fine tune your wireless configuration.

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
If you have a ton of wireless networks (Like 15+) and especially if they have their channels spread out, you're just not going to get any better speeds. The more wireless networks, the slower the speeds. If you want faster speeds you'll have to find a wifi alternative.

5GHz wireless is an option, but IMO it sucks compared to 2.4GHz, and is pretty much completely useless outside the room the WAP is in.

whsbuss

join:2007-08-10
Norristown, PA
reply to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

said by egruber:

What does the Cisco router do that the Verizon router cannot do? Aren't they more or less the same?

No, they are not the same.

The Cisco suports the 5Ghz band and supports 40Mhz chanels.
Neither of which are supported in the Actiontec.

Almost all 802.11N routers will disable the 40Mhz channels if there is ANY other signals within listening distance. So you will only get 20Mhz which equates to 150mb