Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
kudos:1

wonder

I wonder how much rape the telecoms can give us until there is an indention on the desk they bend us over at?

Seriously ATT? Wish we had leadership with balls again.. I would issue a splitup or serious regulation of this kinda crap... Charging for data was barely justified as is.. Now they will charge you depending on how you use the data? Hell.

Verizon's share plan offers unlimited text, which many will do the happy dance etc, but what they fail to see is that alotta phones use data for texting now Your still paying for it. Thankfully texting eats very little data.

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

1 recommendation

said by decifal:

Wish we had leadership with balls again.. I would issue a splitup or serious regulation of this kinda crap...

Oh, you mean the regulation that only allowed Bell owned telephones on your home, which were rented from the phone company each month? And idiotic toll calling tariffs that even today are still a pain for business users to deal with?

Yeah, that would be fantastic.

Steve B
Premium
join:2004-08-02
Seattle, WA

Actually, it was regulation that stopped the monopoly and it's consequences in the '80s that you're talking about.

jester121
Premium
Lake Zurich, IL

Err no. AT&T operated as a regulated monopoly for decades. I'm talking about my grandma who paid a fortune from the 50s on for the single rotary dial phone that she rented from Ma Bell (AT&T), every single month. Until the 80s, thanks to government regulation, you would either pay the going rate for long distance and everything else, or do without.

DE-regulation is what allowed for the long distance wars of the 80s and CLECs (Competitive Local Exchange Carriers) to compete with the baby Bells after the break up of Ma Bell.

ieolus
Support The Clecs

join:2001-06-19
Duluth, GA

You are correct, but also leaving out that deregulation also allowed the reintegration of the baby bells back into Ma Bell and here we are back where we started, except this time the industry is deregulated and we are fucked.
--
"Speak for yourself "Chadmaster" - lesopp

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
kudos:1
reply to decifal

Its like fighting the borg from starTrek, you find a weapon that hurts them, and they somehow adapt to prevent harm from it.. Only in this case, the teleco's receive slush funds to basically do nothing nowadays with no actual broadband buildout mandate of any sort.. Getting to claim satellite as part of your build out plan is a F ing joke..

Wireless should be saved for mobile needs.. Especially with all the copper/dark fiber everywhere..

jester121
Premium
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to ieolus

Strange, except for the whiners here at BBR, most people I encounter like using their smartphones, have no interesting in gorging themselves on unlimited data plans, and never give much thought to their cell phone company, as long as there are plenty of bars. None of them feel "fucked". Maybe you're determined to be a victim?

ieolus
Support The Clecs

join:2001-06-19
Duluth, GA

Nope. I am determined to like capitalism and real competition, which is non-existent in the current telecom industry.
--
"Speak for yourself "Chadmaster" - lesopp

jmt380

join:2009-04-05
reply to jester121

The reason is the "average" American doesn't bother to actually look at the amount of $$$ they waste, which is the main reason we are all living in this entitlement-happy society.

There is absolutely no reason anyone should have a contract with AT&T, or any other of the "big four". Straight Talk offers "unlimited" (notice the quotes) everything for $45 a month bring your own device. Compare that to any offering from AT&T and see how much you are being raped on a monthly basis.

Everytime you sign a 2-year contract with any carrier, you may as well take $600-$800 out of your wallet and light it on fire.

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable

Can I bring any CDMA device? ..didn't think so..

Can I tether without them caring?

Can I not worry about my # (that I've had for ages) being recycled if I'm late on a bill by a few days? ... have heard some interesting stories on this front.....

I'd rather keep U.S. Cellular as my carrier, though your point is valid on the contract/money part, and half right on the entitlement part.

By and large, these companies get by on the major networks though, and only resell service at these low rates because they aren't subsidizing the latest devices, the latest network tech, and more employees. The carriers put up with them because the extra revenue is nice.