North York, ON
reply to Wolfie00

Re: [Serious] The most honest three and a half minutes of televi

said by Wolfie00:

said by IamGimli:

said by donoreo:

To once again try to go back to the show, Dan Rather likes it:

»gawker.com/5926222/dan-rather-ep···g-winner

Haha, not surprising as a lot of the show's premise is loosely inspired by Rather's own "challenges" with prime time news (as I see it anyway).

Dan Rather never had any "challenges" in prime-time news that I'm aware of. Maybe you're thinking of the falsified documents that were fed to CBS about Bush's National Guard record, which was run on "60 Minutes" (and resulted in much of the production staff being fired). Rather himself is a respected journalist and the recepient of 7 Peabody awards for public service in journalism, and many other distinguished honours.

I was going to comment on this earlier. What he likes is the realism of how a newsroom works.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to PX Eliezer7

said by PX Eliezer7:

There's no TV show in France saying that France is bad.

As a Francophone and someone who's spent a bit of time in France I didn't have to go very far to find criticism of the French and France by the French, spoken in public places, on television and just about everywhere.

They're very aware of the problems faced by their nation and have no problems speaking out about them, yes the US is critical of itself but so are a whole host of other nations as well, Germany and the Baltic states also come to mind.

I'd counter your argument that the only nations who don't criticize themselves regularly are those where the criticism would cause a despotic government to lose grip on their already tenuous hold on power.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2
reply to Wolfie00

said by Wolfie00:

Dan Rather never had any "challenges" in prime-time news that I'm aware of. Maybe you're thinking of the falsified documents that were fed to CBS about Bush's National Guard record, which was run on "60 Minutes" (and resulted in much of the production staff being fired). Rather himself is a respected journalist and the recepient of 7 Peabody awards for public service in journalism, and many other distinguished honours.

His journalistic integrity and refusal to comply with the infotainment model is exactly what his challenges with prime time news are, and why he's stuck on cable networks instead of being a lead anchor on a prime time/network news show.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8

Ah, thanks for the clarification. That may well be true. This sounds like a series I might like. I haven't seen any of it yet.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

said by Wolfie00:

Ah, thanks for the clarification. That may well be true. This sounds like a series I might like. I haven't seen any of it yet.

It is well written, Sorkin does dry, intelligent humour well.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Wolfie00

said by Wolfie00:

Trust me, you'll love it. Dan Rather isn't lying when he says that Sam Waterson's performance is masterful.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON

said by Gone:

said by Wolfie00:

Trust me, you'll love it. Dan Rather isn't lying when he says that Sam Waterson's performance is masterful.

It is great. Some times he is a playing a stooge and at others he is sharp as a tack. It works very well.
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

1 edit

said by donoreo:

It is great. Some times he is a playing a stooge and at others he is sharp as a tack. It works very well.

The scene a few minutes into the first episode where he freaked out on Don after being so calm and collected immediately prior is a testament to his acting skills.

Edit - Here's the entire first episode. If you want to wait until you get an HD version to watch and enjoy, at least watch the scene with Waterson that I mentioned above. It'll wet your apitite for how well-done this show is. Fast forward to 17:40.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U4ZhFDF···rified=1

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to FaxCap

The Infotainment news is everywhere.

Yahoo, hired a new CEO, apparently she's quite a business pitbull, but it's all been overshadowed by the fact that she announced (on Facebook) that she's pregnant.

»www.thestar.com/business/science···-revenue
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to FaxCap

BTW, The Newsroom is already renewed for a second season.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to IamGimli

said by IamGimli:

said by PX Eliezer7:

But the whole premise of that TV show scene is a fraud, a setup, a con.

Actually I don't think you understand what the actual premise of the show is at all.

I was referring to the specific SCENE.

I should have bolded that word, thus:

said by PX Eliezer7:

But the whole premise of that TV show scene is a fraud, a setup, a con.

Which it is, because maybe outside of a Miss Iowa competition, I've never seen any serious political situation in which people were asked "Tell us why America is the best country in the world".

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to El Quintron

said by El Quintron:

said by PX Eliezer7:

There's no TV show in France saying that France is bad.

As a Francophone and someone who's spent a bit of time in France I didn't have to go very far to find criticism of the French and France by the French, spoken in public places, on television and just about everywhere.

I'm glad to hear that, thanks.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to PX Eliezer7

said by PX Eliezer7:

I've never seen any serious political situation in which people were asked "Tell us why America is the best country in the world".

I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the scene is an observation on the constant mantra by politicians that the USA is the best country in the world, when it fact there are many statistics that would point out quite the opposite.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

Yahoo, hired a new CEO, apparently she's quite a business pitbull, but it's all been overshadowed by the fact that she announced (on Facebook) that she's pregnant.

»www.thestar.com/business/science···-revenue

Maybe it's just the kind of news some people like to watch or read. None of the substantive, responsible news stories in the last couple of days mentioned this irrelevant crap. And incidentally, Mayer herself is encouraging this kind of babble. She's a publicity hound and at Google she even had her own personal publicist. Apparently manipulating the unwashed rubes is good for business.

lugnut

@look.ca
reply to donoreo

said by donoreo:

BTW, The Newsroom is already renewed for a second season.

To be honest, while I found the pilot episode with the tirade against American supremacy enjoyable and entertaining, what I found in subsequent episodes was little more than a thinly disguised soap opera revolving around the office romances of the cast and crew.

I would have preferred it if they'd brought back Living in My Car for another season instead...

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to Wolfie00

said by Wolfie00:

Apparently manipulating the unwashed rubes is good for business.

Appropriate for "Yahoo".......

A Yahoo is a legendary being in the novel Gulliver's Travels (1726) by Jonathan Swift.

Swift describes them as being filthy and with unpleasant habits, resembling human beings far too closely for the liking of protagonist Lemuel Gulliver, who finds the calm and rational society of intelligent horses, the Houyhnhnms, far preferable.

The Yahoos are primitive creatures obsessed with "pretty stones" they find by digging in mud, thus representing the distasteful materialism and ignorant elitism Swift encountered in Britain. Hence the term "yahoo" has come to mean "a crude, brutish or obscenely coarse person".

Wikipedia

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the scene is an observation on the constant mantra by politicians that the USA is the best country in the world....

Our lunatic fringe, like your Wild Rose party.

Americans do have pride in their country, yet as we have come from so many different places (I met a woman yesterday who was Russian and Irish) we are actually rather low on the xenophobia scale.

said by Gone:

....when it fact there are many statistics that would point out quite the opposite.

Stats are one thing, but who has better cheeseburgers and fried chicken?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by PX Eliezer7:

Our lunatic fringe, like your Wild Rose party.

No, our "lunatic fringe" is the same as your Democrats. Your politics are so skewed to the right that you can't draw a valid comparison at all.

said by PX Eliezer7:

A cheeseburger is a cheeseburger. It's not hard for anyone to make them, and I've had awesome ones on both sides of the border.

But fried chicken... yeah you got me there.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
reply to PX Eliezer7

said by PX Eliezer7:

On the esteemed standard of "country that serves the tastiest form of heart disease", who has better poutine?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by Wolfie00:

said by PX Eliezer7:

On the esteemed standard of "country that serves the tastiest form of heart disease", who has better poutine?

I dunno, you seen the menu at the Heart Attack Cafe lately? Not to mention they're also the home of the Double Down, that "attack of the salt" that KFC calls a sandwich.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by elwoodblues:

I dunno, you seen the menu at the Heart Attack Cafe lately? Not to mention they're also the home of the Double Down, that "attack of the salt" that KFC calls a sandwich.

If we're only talking tasty Heart Disease here, KFC ain't got nothing on Poutine as far as I'm concerned.

Now if we're talking about which is better between Poutine and Smoked Meat Poutine that's a real test.
--

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

said by El Quintron:

said by elwoodblues:

If we're only talking tasty Heart Disease here, KFC ain't got nothing on Poutine as far as I'm concerned.

You guys are able to eat Poutine without worrying, you got healthcare.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

Does every thread have to be about healthcare?
Even in the Cogeco buys Atlantic cable there is a comment about that.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to PX Eliezer7

said by PX Eliezer7:

You guys are able to eat Poutine without worrying, you got healthcare.

It's so delicious I'd probably make room for it even if I didn't... just talking about it is making me hungry!
--

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to Wolfie00

said by Wolfie00:

Anybody else notice that The Discovery Channel (Canada) has been dumbed-down since Bell bought it?

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
join:2001-03-25
ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

1 edit
reply to FaxCap

I like it so far. I have trouble with their lead female choice. She's a great actress but I just don't picture her as a hardened war correspondent.

I enjoyed the first few seasons of the West Wing too. It'll be interesting to see if they can develop this series without it getting too much like a soap opera And dumbing it down.

It's hard to find a decent show on tv these days.

Edit: autocorrect thinks like=lime

--
Fluent in 3 languages: English, Sarcasm and Sexual Innuendo.

Expand your moderator at work

n3k0

@teksavvy.com
reply to Guspaz

Re: [Serious] The most honest three and a half minutes of televi

Guspaz, forgive me for correcting you, but there is College education here in Ontario, too.

Right after High School, & before Uni'. Am I missing something? How is that not the same as Quebec?

I went to College before going to Uni'. We have a similar system. I don't believe Quebec is unique.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON

said by n3k0 :

Guspaz, forgive me for correcting you, but there is College education here in Ontario, too.

Right after High School, & before Uni'. Am I missing something? How is that not the same as Quebec?

I went to College before going to Uni'. We have a similar system. I don't believe Quebec is unique.

He is referring to CEGEP. In Quebec one must go before University, that is not the case in Ontario.
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to kim

said by kim:

I enjoyed the first few seasons of the West Wing too. It'll be interesting to see if they can develop this series without it getting too much lime a soap opera And dumbing it down.

It's hard to find a decent show on tv these days.

It's HBO it shouldn't happen,check out the Borigas.. really really good.
--