spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Csmith77

join:2009-04-29
Sardis, OH

Crystal Broadband Service (midwest,south eastern ohio,etc)

I figured I would start a new thread for any fellow Crystal Broadband Users. Being that they have taken over a former cable system in our area that was previously very well maintained ,their service at times can be wonderful compared to our att dsl competitor .As any Crystal Broadband customer knows the service seems to not work as well as it should a majority of the time. Please use this thread to post any information or discussions in regards to their service and or any other relevant information to help benefit the fellow customers with information .

Csmith77

Sardis, OH

There was previously a very bad storm causing a severe power outage in ohio that may be the culprit behind the current internet issues with CBN. I am not sure exactly as to the cause currently but as usual the bandwidth is fluctuating and the ping is un-steady. It seems to be as if an amplifier is the cause near the end of sardis going towards the new matamoras area. Most would say an amplifier isnt the cause due to the fact our modem signals are in the norm but customers along route 7 outside of sardis have been having their internet cut off during the evening and times of bad weather while the customers in town and before them still have service. I am not sure if this could cause a degrade in bandwidth or ping quality but the two seem to go hand in hand. When my friend outside of town has his internet cut out, my internet is still working and has acceptable signal strength yet my bandwidth and ping suffer greatly . I would imagine maybe it is a coincidence that the bandwidth and signal are doing this seemingly together but maybe it is just the fact that their network cannot handle as many customers as they have their system set up for. I have been having my bandwidth go as low as 1Mb with a 594Ms ping and then it bounces back to around 7Mb with a 40-70Ms ping. I normally pull in 11-15Mb down and 1.33Mb up with a 33-40Ms ping (which is close to what we pay for). I am just tired of having the bandwidth fluctuating over such a predictable pattern and CBN not doing anything about it. If the fellow customers are able to notice this then they should as well yet it has been so long with hardly no improvement . I know at times the internet goes back to normal but the period until it goes back to not working is just not good.

Gib4500

join:2003-12-08
Sardis, OH

Seems to be ok for me right at this time. However i definatly understand what you are saying. The bandwidth fluctuates badly during some times of the day. A couple days ago i had 400ms ping and 1mb at certain times. I suspect here shortly it will go downhill again as we are going into the peak usage time. It may be a combination of overselling bandwidth and or faulty hardware somewhere.

I remember when time warner was here after they upgraded things you would get 14mb download speed no matter what time of day it was. Now we get speeds all over the place sometimes good sometimes bad. Ping times can vary a lot from minute to minute too. It's just not as near as consistent as it should be.

Gib4500

Sardis, OH
reply to Csmith77

What i suspect is they'v got 1 t-3 line which gives out roughly what 38mb download speed through docsis channel? If they even have this much bandwidth available. The problem is i'm betting it is serving clarington all the way to beavertown. Who knows how many customers this much bandwidth is serving. I'm betting when time warner was here they had at least a couple of these t-3 lines. I'm just speculating here but who really knows?

Gib4500

Sardis, OH

2 edits
reply to Csmith77

yep sure enough i was right. It went downhill fast right now.

about a minute later...

9pm full speed

and again at 11:05 horrible...

Gib4500

Sardis, OH

I havn't really had any speed problems at all the past couple days or so. I usually get at or above 10mb. Hopefully it stays that way. I can't complain at the moment. Plus the disconnects i used to have when i had service before have gone away. When the cable guy was here he said he increased the frequency of the signal by 3db in our area. Great speed right now.

BFouty

join:2010-09-09
New Matamoras, OH

Speeds and ping were terrible for me last night in Beavertown. I had a ping of around 500ms, ad DL speeds of 1.3mb. Sent an e mail to Mitch at CBN. He said he'd have a tech in the area sometime today. I hadn't been having any problems up until yesterday. Right now it seems to be pretty good. Anybody seen that tech today??? LOL

Gib4500

Sardis, OH

seems to be getting worse. look at this crap.

Csmith77

Sardis, OH
reply to Gib4500

I havent seen any techs mitch called me today but i didnt get to answer . im pretty much still getting the same results you guys are