how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

howardje

join:2012-07-17
Whitesboro, NY

[Outlook] Add new gmail acct to my Outlook Express

I want to change my internet service from Verizon to Time Warner, but I’m afraid it will be a big headache. I have 6 years of history with a Verizon email name (xxxxxxxxx@verizon.com). I just ordered 100 business cards with my Verizon address on them.
I searched around for the best email service to join and “gmail” was the number 1 response. I just created a gmail account and had questions. I have been putting off this whole process because I figured I’d really mess it up. And it looks like I’m already stumped. I was hoping this might be an easy process.
I don’t know if I picked the correct options when I setup the new email account. At first I picked “IMAP” since it was recommended by gmail. But I had trouble later trying to link the new account to my present one, so I changed the option to “POP” and it completed successfully.
Can I keep my new gmail account while keeping my Verizon account/service going – this would give me more time to get everything switched over to the new address, then down the road I can get Time Warner internet service? Can I have 2 different addresses related to my one Outlook Express on my laptop? How do I tie my new email address to my Outlook Express? Or do I have to create a new user on my laptop? And how do I do that? I’m the only user on my laptop, so do I have to have 2 separate accounts on it?
How can I change all the sites I have visited but don’t have a record of in my address book – ex. sites I have given my email address to? And what about all the people I have given my address to over the years who aren’t in my address book – I can’t remember them all!
I know there’s a way to transfer my outlook email to a new address but will it be complicated? These types of things never go smoothly for me!
Is there a way to get direct support from gmail – by email or phone? I couldn’t find it.
I know that I will have a few months of forwarding from my current service, but I don’t think it will be enough time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for any help you can provide to a gmail newbie.

Kimmie1010

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2

GMail has the ability to pull mail from multiple email accounts as well as send mail from any account you desire. Using these methods you can keep your Verizon email account alive forever from within your GMail account. I think you might be making a mistake in not learning how to setup the IMAP access for GMail because in the end this is going to make what you desire much easier at least while you maintain both accounts. Another mistake you might be making especially if you use POP is to be using Outlook Express. Outlook Express is no longer supported outside of XP and you will have a very difficult time moving your mail when you get a new computer. I would suggest working only from within the GMail web interface or installing something free like Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird. Spending a hundred or so bucks on Outlook wouldn't be a bad idea either.

The big problem you face has nothing to do with software. When you change from Verizon to Time Warner, you are most likely going to lose your Verizon email address. No one or nothing can help you with this except Verizon and I doubt they will be of much help but it might be worth checking with them. Maybe they will maintain your email account for a nominal fee. This is why using an ISP's email is a really really bad idea. You become married to the ISP. Getting a GMail, Hotmail, or some other independent address is a good first step in the divorce. The next step is to notify everyone you can about your new address. Start sending mail out with the new return address. Keep your Verizon service as long as needed until all the important people in your life are sending mail to the new address. Then cut your ties to Verizon and allow your email account to go dead. As far as the sites that have your future old address, you are just going to have to update them one by one as needed.

You don't need multiple accounts on your laptop. All this can be handled with the software. GMail offers no support other than through forums. You must use the paid version (Google Apps) at about 60 bucks a year to get support.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to howardje

A minor nit: "Outlook Express" is not "Outlook", it is "OLEXP". But many think they are related (they do not share any code), so not to worry (except that I have no direct experience with Outlook).

said by howardje:

I want to change my internet service from Verizon to Time Warner, but I’m afraid it will be a big headache. I have 6 years of history with a Verizon email name (xxxxxxxxx@verizon.com). I just ordered 100 business cards with my Verizon address on them.

Which is why many will recommend using your own domain, as well as a service such as Gmail.

I searched around for the best email service to join and “gmail” was the number 1 response. I just created a gmail account and had questions. I have been putting off this whole process because I figured I’d really mess it up. And it looks like I’m already stumped. I was hoping this might be an easy process.
I don’t know if I picked the correct options when I setup the new email account. At first I picked “IMAP” since it was recommended by gmail. But I had trouble later trying to link the new account to my present one, so I changed the option to “POP” and it completed successfully.

I no longer have Outlook Express because it isn't included in MS browsers newer than IE6, and Windows 7 ships with IE8. In any case, I never cared for OLEXP after MSN killed WebDAV access (to Hotmail).

I do use Windows Live Mail because it allows access to Hotmail with the newer DeltaSync protocol. The account setup menus seem as I remember for OLEXP. Here is an example for Gmail:

The IMAP tab, should be the same in OLEXP.

I recall using "[Gmail]" in the 'Root' box, but this is how WLM set it up on 'auto config' mode.

Can I keep my new gmail account while keeping my Verizon account/service going – this would give me more time to get everything switched over to the new address, then down the road I can get Time Warner internet service?

Outlook Express is not directly a part of your Internet service. Several E-Mail services will co-exist in OLEXP. You can even have both Verizon and TW email accounts together in OLEXP.

Can I have 2 different addresses related to my one Outlook Express on my laptop?

Yes. OLEXP is a part of your local OS, not of your Internet service.

How do I tie my new email address to my Outlook Express? Or do I have to create a new user on my laptop? And how do I do that?

OLEXP will let you set up for multiple accounts. There is a "New Account" option in the menus. In this regard, WLM is sufficiently different that I can't show an example.

I’m the only user on my laptop, so do I have to have 2 separate accounts on it?

No. Well, no, you do not need multiple "Identities" in OLEXP.

How can I change all the sites I have visited but don’t have a record of in my address book – ex. sites I have given my email address to? And what about all the people I have given my address to over the years who aren’t in my address book – I can’t remember them all!

You update those you have records for; should include any recent email from those sites and friends. For the rest, watch for new email while you still have the Verizon account.

I know there’s a way to transfer my outlook email to a new address but will it be complicated? These types of things never go smoothly for me!

All email currently viewable in OLEXP will still be there, if you have been using POP3. Adding a new email service does not change what is already in the OLEXP message store.

Is there a way to get direct support from gmail – by email or phone? I couldn’t find it.

I've never needed Gmail support, so I have never tried. I don't think they have phone support. But there are many online communities, including this one, with friendly (usually), knowledgeable (often) people.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

cool thanks for the tip