Hutt River

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer704 to FaxCap

Premium Member

to FaxCap

Re: [Serious] The most honest three and a half minutes of televi

Hmmm.

[The most honest three and a half minutes of television]

Well, one thing that Aaron Sorkin leaves out is that he [is] an American, making a TV show about America on an American network, and sponsored by American companies....

....yet he is enthusiastically free to trash his own country.

And THAT is where America leads the world:

Many countries have the freedom to criticize themselves, but the US does it with a PASSION, to the extent of it becoming self-hatred.

There is nothing wrong with criticizing your own country. As [Gone] quite correctly said, it is the only way to improvement.

But that TV show is to deep political thought, as masturbation is to committed sex.

------------------------------------

Contrary to Aaron Sorkin, there is no show on Japanese TV about the Japanese atrocities against China and Korea and others from the 1930's through 1945. In fact, the government of Japan is still in active denial about their atrocities, still denying for example that foreign women were made to be whores for Japanese soldiers.

There's no TV show in France saying that France is bad.

There's no TV show in Singapore saying that Singapore is bad.

There's no TV show in Burkina Faso saying that Burkina Faso is bad.

So whereas "Blazing Saddles" contained an example of "authentic frontier gibberish", Aaron Sorkin's new show has this example of "authentic liberal intellectual self-hatred gibberish".

--------------------

And THAT's the "reel truth" as seen by me, who ironically is a liberal who until today was also an Aaron Sorkin fan.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc

said by PX Eliezer704:

That's because they ARE bad! Have you tried watching any of them?

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

Contrary to Aaron Sorkin, there is no show on Japanese TV about the Japanese atrocities against China and Korea and others from the 1930's through 1945. In fact, the government of Japan is still in active denial about their atrocities, still denying for example that foreign women were made to be whores for Japanese soldiers.

There's no TV show in Singapore saying that Singapore is bad.

There's no TV show in Burkina Faso saying that Burkina Faso is bad.

While I'm not about to question those specific examples you just cited here - specifically because I have no information to the contrary and can't be bothered to look - it should be pointed out that the United States is not unique in this regard. There are plenty of Canadian, British and Australian examples of the same thing you described above

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

As a Francophone and someone who's spent a bit of time in France I didn't have to go very far to find criticism of the French and France by the French, spoken in public places, on television and just about everywhere.

They're very aware of the problems faced by their nation and have no problems speaking out about them, yes the US is critical of itself but so are a whole host of other nations as well, Germany and the Baltic states also come to mind.

I'd counter your argument that the only nations who don't criticize themselves regularly are those where the criticism would cause a despotic government to lose grip on their already tenuous hold on power.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

said by PX Eliezer704:

As a Francophone and someone who's spent a bit of time in France I didn't have to go very far to find criticism of the French and France by the French, spoken in public places, on television and just about everywhere.

I'm glad to hear that, thanks.