My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to Morac

Re: Jailbreak, Jailbreak, Jailbreak

said by Morac:

said by ieolus:

They do what? How do they cap an unlimited plan?

By slowing down speeds to 2G speeds; making your unlimited data over 3 GB unusable.

Correct.. they throttle speeds to 2G, which is very funny because they STILL claim that it's "unlimited 3G speeds, we're just slowing you down".. well, I know they love to play with the term "unlimited" but now apparently they're trying to redefine what "3G" is too.. not surprised since they all have already redefined what 4G is.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by fiberguy:

Correct.. they throttle speeds to 2G, which is very funny because they STILL claim that it's "unlimited 3G speeds, we're just slowing you down".. well, I know they love to play with the term "unlimited" but now apparently they're trying to redefine what "3G" is too.. not surprised since they all have already redefined what 4G is.

Do they actually bump your connection down to 2G? Or do they leave it 3G between you and the tower and then throttle you down before leaving their network for the internet in general?

Once upon a time many moons ago, when I had Verizon 1.5 and 3mbit DSL, it wasn't uncommon during peak times for the DSLAM's DS3's backhaul to become saturated. While the connection between you and the CO remained the full speed you were provisioned at, you couldn't actually use it all. Yet the ISP could say that you are connected faster then cable and didn't suffer from congestion like you did on cable's shared node.

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by cdru:

said by fiberguy:

Do they actually bump your connection down to 2G? Or do they leave it 3G between you and the tower and then throttle you down before leaving their network for the internet in general?

You'll still have a 3G connection; they will just throttle you down to 2G speeds until the next billing cycle.

»www.att.com/esupport/datausage.j···0000000U
--
The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

It's actually about 250kbps, which is usually well above what EDGE can do, although properly set up (not most of AT&T's EDGE network) EDGE is about 190kbps.