HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to kovy

Re: Sudbury ON - FibreOP FTTH - job fair Thursday 6pm

said by kovy:

I'm seen a few wholesales already using Bell FTTH for phone service... so competition is there.

Yes, but they're only doing it OTT on Bell Internet service, just like Youtube, Skype and Netflix are all OTT. Bell does not provide the actual FTTH access service on a wholesale basis.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8

said by HeadSpinning:

said by kovy:

I'm seen a few wholesales already using Bell FTTH for phone service... so competition is there.

Yes, but they're only doing it OTT on Bell Internet service, just like Youtube, Skype and Netflix are all OTT. Bell does not provide the actual FTTH access service on a wholesale basis.

What's OTT?

Because these wholesales business clients had phone and internet.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5

OTT = Over The Top

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over-the-top_content
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

dan991199

join:2007-10-01
St Catharines, ON

Niagara needs this

kovy

reply to HeadSpinning

How is it over the top when they have actual service with FTTH ?

avenison

join:2009-12-10

1 edit

@kovy: I believe the distinction HeadSpinning is making is that if you use voip.ms, hulu, or in this case resale/wholesale providers, that traffic is routed over the public Internet. Conversely if your telephony/tv/etc. service is with the company providing the medium (Bell/Rogers/Cogeco and so on) then it is usually not routed over the Internet (which may offer certain advantages in terms of privacy and ease of bandwidth prioritization). That being said I do not know anything about the providers you are referring to. Care to name them?

kovy

said by avenison:

@kovy: I believe the difference HeadSpinning is pointing out is that if you use voip.ms, hulu, or in this case resale/wholesale providers, that traffic is routed over the public Internet. Conversely if your telephony/tv/etc. service is with the company providing the medium (Bell/Rogers/Cogeco and so on) then it is usually not routed over the Internet (which may offer certain advantages in terms of privacy and ease of bandwidth prioritization). That being said I do not know anything about the providers you are referring to. Care to name them?

The service is exactly like the Bell FTTH service, a ONT with POTS.

I believe it was oricom.

avenison

join:2009-12-10

They do have one fibre package listed (@oricom.ca), but it's a 5/5Mbit 500GB/mo business package... for $595 per month.