spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

HDClown

join:2012-02-02

Are NIM100's still compatible with new FiOS installs?

I have 3 NIM100's that were purchased used 3 1/2 years ago off eBay (no idea how total age). I don't use them anymore as they are not compatible with my home cable service and I switched to different devices that allow encryption to be turned off.

Anyway, someone I know is interested in getting these 3 from me and he has a new FiOS install with a ActionTec router (not sure of model) and 2 DVR's. He wants to do MoCA home networking for his computers, so I wanted to confirm if NIM100's are still compatible with newer Verizon equipment installs or not.

If they are compatible, what needs to be done in regards to the DES encryption key settings? As I recall, the default key on the NIM100's was something like 9999919999 (and a bunch more 9's). Lastly, what would get done about the MoCA channel settings? Set to scan all, or does a specific channel get set?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
said by HDClown:

I wanted to confirm if NIM100's are still compatible with newer Verizon equipment installs or not.

Sort of.

NIM100s are MOCA 1.0 compatible. VZ's latest STBs and routers are MOCA 1.1 capable. If mixed on a network, the network will revert to MOCA 1.0 mode. That means no more than 8 MOCA devices (including the router) on the network.

The NIM100 should work with its default settings. If the settings have been modified, simply do a hard reset on the NIM100.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

HDClown

join:2012-02-02
And other than the device limitation, there isn't any performance or compatibility issues correct? 1.1 was mainly about increase device limit to 16, as far as an end-user would be concerned for home networking/interoperability?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
1.1 also increased the PHY rate.
The lmiting factor on the NIM100 is the 100Mbps ethernet port.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

bigpapae35

join:2002-10-25
united state
kudos:1
reply to HDClown
wow, that sucks, so if one set top box on your moca lan is v1.0, then the whole moca lan is limited to 8 devices.

gadgetboyj

join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY
kudos:2
Yes, that's correct.

OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA
reply to HDClown
Is there any way to tell which version of MoCA is being used on my network? Is there a screen on the Actiontec or the STB that shows this? I should be running 1.1, but it would be nice to be able to verify.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
Only way I know is to verify that each MOCA device on your network is MOCA 1.1. certified.

OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA
I think mike are - Rev I Actiontec, three 7xxx HD DVRs. But, it would be nice if there was a screen to confirm. Having worked in networking, I know there are always surprises lurking.