share rss forum feed

joshb
Don't sweat the small stuff.
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Calgary, AB

[windows hosting] migrating a website from Cpanel server to an I

Good Day everyone,

Where I work we currently have our website outsourced on a Cpanel Server. We are looking at rebuilding our website. but first want to get it migrated in house. We are going to be using a windows server 2008 box running IIS 6.1

If any one knows of any good how too's for migrating from Cpanel to IIS that would be great.

Regards,

Joshb
--
Middle Age: The time between I don't care and medicare

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

Re: [windows hosting] migrating a website from Cpanel server to

Are those cpanel files anything special or are they 'standard' HTML files? (.html, .htm, .aspx, .asp, etc)

If you are running windows 2008, (not r2) you are running IIS7.

IIS7 Guide -> »technet.microsoft.com/library/cc···10).aspx
--
Here's the final bullet,
to put our love to death.

joshb
Premium
Calgary, AB

said by JB:

Are those cpanel files anything special or are they 'standard' HTML files? (.html, .htm, .aspx, .asp, etc)

If you are running windows 2008, (not r2) you are running IIS7.

IIS7 Guide -> »technet.microsoft.com/library/cc···10).aspx

Sadly no.. The site is mostly .PHP and .SWF files... And then there is also MYSQL involved. If it was the files you quoted above I would not be posting this question.

Thanks again,

Joshb
--
Middle Age: The time between I don't care and medicare

airwavz
Always the green wire

join:2011-09-11
Mount Juliet, TN

josh,

a. WAMP, license CPanel if you really need it

b. Virtual partition on your Windows server, install LAMP, license CPanel if you really need it

c. Use some older or inexpensive hardware and install LAMP, license CPanel if you really need it

Now my BEST suggestion - and this is NOT a condescending comment, but a sincere suggestion to make your life (and your employer's) as easy as possible - if you were not aware of all 3 of those possibilities already, DO NOT bring a PHP - MySQL based website in-house. A good 3rd-party webhost will cost maybe $20 - $40 mo. and includes the license for CPanel, backup, and more. If you aren't already comfortable with MySQL and PHP, you don't want to support / secure an in-house web server! If you aren't happy with the service / cost of your current provider, then by all means find a better one, but not on your business server. I speak from years of hosting many client websites - and even I use a leased, managed data-center based server platform.

I sincerely hope this helps.

joshb
Premium
Calgary, AB

said by airwavz:

josh,

a. WAMP, license CPanel if you really need it

b. Virtual partition on your Windows server, install LAMP, license CPanel if you really need it

c. Use some older or inexpensive hardware and install LAMP, license CPanel if you really need it

Now my BEST suggestion - and this is NOT a condescending comment, but a sincere suggestion to make your life (and your employer's) as easy as possible - if you were not aware of all 3 of those possibilities already, DO NOT bring a PHP - MySQL based website in-house. A good 3rd-party webhost will cost maybe $20 - $40 mo. and includes the license for CPanel, backup, and more. If you aren't already comfortable with MySQL and PHP, you don't want to support / secure an in-house web server! If you aren't happy with the service / cost of your current provider, then by all means find a better one, but not on your business server. I speak from years of hosting many client websites - and even I use a leased, managed data-center based server platform.

I sincerely hope this helps.

Not condescending at all!!! In fact that was my first suggestion to my boss.. Only 2 problems with it... One my Boss has had 2 bad experiences with hosting company's.. And with what our in house software development is working on... In house is going to be some much simpler... Not going to get into extreme detail but lets just say we're extremely SQL Heavy and 100% SQL dependent for many of our systems.. Some of which without we are not operational. Both MsSQL and MySQL.

It's actually sort of funny.. I forgot I had made this post and decided to do a CPanel to CPanel migration... As I've got way more experience hosting a website / mail systems on linux... Never done website hosting on a Windows Server and quite frankly was not okay with the idea...

Thankfully I have a Boss and Management Team who listens to reason most of the time..

Thanks again,

Joshb.

airwavz
Always the green wire

join:2011-09-11
Mount Juliet, TN

Obviously you're way ahead of the curve after all

It is good to hear you are already experienced with Linux hosting, and have the in-house resources to do this - I was thinking a much smaller operation frankly. I gladly admit I am a Windows GUI kind of guy, and it's why I use a managed server for hosting my client sites - so the folks who know Linux can 'do their thing'. But Windows guy or not, I wouldn't put a serious commercial site on IIS even if I was offered ridiculous sums to do so - LOL. You are fortunate indeed to have a boss and management team who listen to 'the guys in the trenches' (truly the voices of reason). Glad to hear you've got it all worked out.

Here's hoping it's a smooth transition for you Josh -
All The Best!

join:2012-08-31
reply to joshb

With this you need to use the bulk transfer utility in your cpanel. Take note if you will not use the transfer utility it will cause a big mess..