All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

YogiYahooeys
join:2004-08-17
Evansville, IN

YogiYahooeys to lilhurricane

to lilhurricane

Re: [CATV] Time Warner implements Copy Protection flag (CCI)

said by lilhurricane:

He's right... there's more companies than just Insight implementing this. Even a precursory look around our ISP forums here will show that.

I was never claiming that TWC was the only provider implementing it. From my searches, they *are* one of the providers that implement it more heavily than others.

Plus, my biggest point was that this was a new thing for former Insight customers (at least on the channels that I have previously dubbed, like TCM), which it is.
tspencer
join:2002-05-28
Lexington, KY

tspencer

said by YogiYahooeys:

said by lilhurricane:

He's right... there's more companies than just Insight implementing this. Even a precursory look around our ISP forums here will show that.

I was never claiming that TWC was the only provider implementing it. From my searches, they *are* one of the providers that implement it more heavily than others.

Plus, my biggest point was that this was a new thing for former Insight customers (at least on the channels that I have previously dubbed, like TCM), which it is.

Perhaps in your area but in Lexington, KY insight has been copy protecting almost their entire lineup for 2 years or so.

TWC is the very worst offender of unnecessary CCI flags and has been proven by many on the TiVo Community forums that the content provider in the majority of non-premium channel cases has not requested or required TWC to do so.

TWC is legally required to encrypt if requested to do so but they can also encrypt even without the content provider's permission, which is generally what they have done.

YogiYahooeys
join:2004-08-17
Evansville, IN

YogiYahooeys

said by tspencer:

said by YogiYahooeys:

said by lilhurricane:

Perhaps in your area but in Lexington, KY insight has been copy protecting almost their entire lineup for 2 years or so.

TWC is the very worst offender of unnecessary CCI flags and has been proven by many on the TiVo Community forums that the content provider in the majority of non-premium channel cases has not requested or required TWC to do so.

TWC is legally required to encrypt if requested to do so but they can also encrypt even without the content provider's permission, which is generally what they have done.

See now, this is what I had read about TWC and CCI flagging. I didn't realize that this had already been implemented in other Insight markets though. This was the first time that I had encountered it myself.