Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

1 edit

[Serious] Having a yard sale?

Health Canada has issued directive that you are responsible for ensuring the products meet all current regulatory requirements.

Selling not old hockey helmet? Better make sure it's no more then 5yrs old, has a CSA number, and date of manufacture. Of course to make sure you are compliant, Health Canada will be sending out inspectors to make random checks.

»www.theglobeandmail.com/commenta···4420849/
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Hahaha... And the continued pussyfication and nanny holding continues...

Tenar

join:2008-01-02
Midland, ON
reply to elwoodblues
But but, we need regulations to keep us safe! Regulations never cause people to go bankrupt.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to elwoodblues
I think the government forgets, that no matter how much regulation and safety stuff they mandate, you still can't protect a moron from himself.

dsanfte

join:2005-03-15
UK
reply to elwoodblues
I would be okay with the government not spending money on this.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

I think the government forgets, that no matter how much regulation and safety stuff they mandate, you still can't protect a moron from himself.

If we protected morons from themselves, how would we get rid of them?

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to elwoodblues
quote:
Those morons have innocent kids though.

You purchase a child's carseat at a yard sale, you expect it to be safe - not on a recall list because it failed horrible, or its expired & is unsafe to use anymore..
»www.thriftyandchicmom.com/2010/0···ce-them/
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Markie
Still Living Free

join:2009-07-11
Canada
reply to elwoodblues

Everything to everyone, All the time.

This is what happens when .govs are allowed to borrow money in our name, petty bureaucratic causes receive funds to gestate, grow and (d)evolve while the Leviathan rarely has to prioritize what ought to be OUR limited resources.
--
»www.timslaw.ca/

thebaron
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Stittsville, ON
reply to resa1983

Re: [Serious] Having a yard sale?

said by resa1983:

quote:

You purchase a child's carseat at a yard sale, you expect it to be safe - not on a recall list because it failed horrible, or its expired & is unsafe to use anymore..

You don't expect anything, you read the bloody labels and think for yourself. I don't need the government thinking for me, thanks though.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to resa1983
That's more then reasonable, we are talking about the life if a child, but to expect me to have the manual for a 20yr old receiver is plain stupid. I have one, it's for my computer, but I have no idea where the manual would have gone.

Markie
Still Living Free

Canada
reply to resa1983
said by resa1983:

quote:

--
»www.timslaw.ca/

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to thebaron
But how does the average person, including the seller know their car seat was recalled?

Markie
Still Living Free

Canada

1 recommendation

Look it up!

holy fuck.
--
»www.timslaw.ca/

thebaron
Premium
Stittsville, ON
reply to elwoodblues
15 seconds on my Blackberry I found this:
»www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/probl···seat.cfm
»www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safe···-907.htm

Think for yourself and look it up.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to Markie
At a yard sale? That's like the fight I had with Seagate over a hard drive warranty, I got the same bs answer, look it up before buying.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to thebaron
What I don't have a smartphone?

thebaron
Premium
Stittsville, ON
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

At a yard sale? That's like the fight I had with Seagate over a hard drive warranty, I got the same bs answer, look it up before buying.

Yes, at a yard sale. Took me seconds on my phone while sitting in my truck eating a sandwich. Too lazy to look it up? Go to the store and buy a new one then.

thebaron
Premium
Stittsville, ON
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Simple: Don't buy the seat. No one is forcing you to buy it.

Markie
Still Living Free

Canada
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Some .govs in the states were actually pondering buying cell phones and plans for their poorest residents, no idea if it ever came to fruition but maybe Industry Canada should expand its tentacles and try the same up here? Or not.

When in doubt, Caveat Emptor.
--
»www.timslaw.ca/

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
That's reasonable.

horsey

@eastlink.ca
reply to elwoodblues
Oh darn and I just finished sharpening my lawn dart collection.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
kudos:1
The world was a better place when you could still buy Jarts.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
reply to donoreo
so the 20 year old baby car seat is a no-no for my yard sale? what if i put it infront of the curb on trash day? what if someone takes it? am i responsible still?
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
said by Paolo:

so the 20 year old baby car seat is a no-no for my yard sale?

Call up Health Canada and demand they send an inspector over asap to check everything you are selling as you can't possibly know all the dates and recalls.

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
reply to Mashiki
said by Mashiki:

The world was a better place when you could still buy Jarts.

When I was 10 a errant Jart punctured the hood of my father's brand new 626. Couldn't sit for a day for that.
--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
reply to elwoodblues
Yeah, it all sounds like nanny state material here, but think about it for a moment.

- Old motorcycle or bicycle helmet. The foam has deteriorated. You're in an accident. The foam collapses completely, allowing your head to feel the full impact of the head-on collision.

- Old baby crib. One built before tighter regulations reduced the gap between the bars. Baby wakes up, slips their body between the bars, but the head is too big to slip through, Baby dies from being hanged by the head.

There's a reason we have safety regulations. PEOPLE ARE FUCKING IDIOTS!!! Not only could an idiot hurt or kill themselves through improper use of an old consumer product, they could very well kill their own children before the kids had a chance to grow up and show the world they aren't as idiotic as their freakin' parents!

Rant over.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

lugnut

@look.ca
"And moron begat idiot, and idiot begat numbskull, and numbskull begat retard, and retard begat the Canadian Gov't..."

It's in the BIBLE PEOPLE!!!! LOOK IT UP!!!

Seriously though, who the hell buys safety equipment at a yard sale? Their kids deserve to become Darwinian statistics.

thebaron
Premium
Stittsville, ON
said by lugnut :

Seriously though, who the hell buys safety equipment at a yard sale?

Apparently, people who need govt to think for them.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to milnoc
said by milnoc:

- Old baby crib. One built before tighter regulations reduced the gap between the bars. Baby wakes up, slips their body between the bars, but the head is too big to slip through, Baby dies from being hanged by the head.

Screw a piece of plexiglass over the bars. Problem solved.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
All cribs with drop sides in the US & Canada were recalled due to the crib's side dropping randomly, and trapping children and killing them. The manufacturers had to come up with a way to make it so dropsides, didn't drop anymore.

quote:
"Gaps may form between the crib mattress and the drop side rails, due to errors in assembly or installation or to wear or malfunction from use," she explains. As a result a baby’s head could get caught between the mattress and the side rails, leading to suffocation, or the baby could fall out of the crib.
»thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/2···or-sale/

My friend had to call the manufacturer for a recall kit (which they shipped her free of charge) with parts and instructions on how to modify her crib to have it meet safety standards. She said the bolts they provided for fixing the dropside in place, were bigger than the original bolts in the crib holding it together.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP