cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to bjf123

Premium Member

to bjf123

Re: iMac Problem

First, have you run any diagnostics?
Second, BUY a good disk utility (actually, buy BOTH Disk Warrior and Drive Genius)
Third, buy a small USB external and install a CLEAN OS on it, along with those TWO utilities you bought. Boot from that, repair.
If you run the AHT (Apple Hardware Test), it is a minimum test that can atleast determine if hardware issue.
Lastly, because your iMac is more than 2 years old, you can burn a CD of Memtest+ and run that to see if and which Module of ram might be bad (as suggested by other).

Honestly, we are force to replace our Macs every 4-5 years now. With the Release of 10.8, cpu/EFI requirements are "herding" us into buy-replace even if working just fine. (your 3 Gig ram now is under what is needed to run the OS and apps...but fine for when it was out ... running 10.4 or 10.5...)

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium Member
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH

bjf123

Premium Member

I've run Disk Utility to verify and repair the disk and permissions. I can't get AHT to run. I've tried both methods I saw in the Apple support doc, holding down D while starting the system and also holding down option D to try running AHT from the web. Neither works and the system just boots normally.

I'm currently unemployed so I don't have $170 for Disk Warrior and Drive Genius. I'm running a memory test.

cableties
Premium Member

cableties

Premium Member

Disk Utility is ok for permissions but sucks at directory/drive structure repairs that DW and DG excel at. Many times, Disk utility would error that that data needs to be backed up and drive reformatted when DW or DG would fix the issue.

It's one thing to have bad blocks (DG will check for that) and another to just have a volume/bundle error.

Sometimes, OWC has specials that you can get Drive Genius cheap. Aside from your employment situation (sorry), those are what I recommend.

(if you ever formatted your hard drive, the AHT could be missing. I don't know which iMac or version OS X you have or what OS came with it, but either the System DVD or the Applications DVD has it on it to boot from. I also know that it is BEST practice to use a USB Apple keyboard, not a wireless one or 3rd party, to use keyboard startup commands (like PRAM, or SMC resets).

More on the AHT here: »support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Hamilton, OH

bjf123

Premium Member

said by cableties:

(if you ever formatted your hard drive, the AHT could be missing. I don't know which iMac or version OS X you have or what OS came with it, but either the System DVD or the Applications DVD has it on it to boot from. I also know that it is BEST practice to use a USB Apple keyboard, not a wireless one or 3rd party, to use keyboard startup commands (like PRAM, or SMC resets).

More on the AHT here: »support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

I had a new hard drive installed by the Apple Store earlier this year when the original drive started to fail. I guess they didn't install the AHT option when they put Lion on it. I am using the original Apple keyboard and mouse. I've also tried resetting the PRAM. At this point, maybe I should just upgrade to Mountain Lion and see what happens?

cableties
Premium Member

cableties

Premium Member

If you have a damaged directory or issue with the drive, I would NOT install a new OS. If there are bad blocks, it will make matters worse. Plus without making sure your RAM isn't a problem...without testing...

If you have the original DVDs, you can boot from them to run AHT.

Is there anyone near you that has these Mac Utilities to verify if there are any issues?

Since you upgraded Snow to Lion, did you verify you don't have any old extensions left behind? Did you install Combo update for late update (10.7.4)? Are you sure the OS isn't causing the freeze?
If its hardware, I would run diags on RAM. if you can't then ... sorry, I don't know much more to diagnose without ruling out RAM, drive or other (thermal...board...).

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Hamilton, OH

bjf123

Premium Member

I ran a memory test and everything checked out OK. I do have the Snow Leopard DVD. Could I boot from that to run AHT even though the system is actually running Lion? I have no idea how to find if I have any old extensions left behind. My upgrade to 10.7.4 was done using the normal software update process. I've got a few friends who run Macs. I'll see if any of them have DW or DG.

One thing I've noticed is that a number of times when the system freezes, I've just opened Chrome. I'm going to try staying away from it to see if that makes a difference. I doubt if it will, but you never know.

RiseAbove
Premium Member
join:2004-01-30

RiseAbove

Premium Member

said by bjf123:

I ran a memory test and everything checked out OK. I do have the Snow Leopard DVD. Could I boot from that to run AHT even though the system is actually running Lion? I have no idea how to find if I have any old extensions left behind. My upgrade to 10.7.4 was done using the normal software update process. I've got a few friends who run Macs. I'll see if any of them have DW or DG.

One thing I've noticed is that a number of times when the system freezes, I've just opened Chrome. I'm going to try staying away from it to see if that makes a difference. I doubt if it will, but you never know.

I will say it again, boot to DVD, go to security options and zero out the drive, then install brand new OS. From there either upgrade all the way to Mountain lion or just use it. See if a fresh install will do anything. Also I would avoid using a time machine backup image to load all your stuff back when you are done. You want to start with a clean build and stay with that to see if it is hardware or software related.

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Hamilton, OH

bjf123

Premium Member

If you're saying I shouldn't use a TM backup to restore my stuff, how do you recommend putting the thousands of photos, my music library, documents, etc. back on the iMac?

Post Op
Premium Member
join:2001-11-06
inside out

Post Op

Premium Member

Call the local Apple store and see if you can have a genius look at it. Bring your iMac, install discs and external hard drive with you.

RiseAbove
Premium Member

RiseAbove to bjf123

Premium Member

to bjf123
said by bjf123:

If you're saying I shouldn't use a TM backup to restore my stuff, how do you recommend putting the thousands of photos, my music library, documents, etc. back on the iMac?

You can put it back on there but for now just use the computer to see if it is stable as a fresh install. Plus if you have ever gone into a TM backup file you can easily see all of your information and just drag and drop it back into it's right spot or use Migration Assistant and do it later down the road.

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Hamilton, OH

bjf123

Premium Member

FWIW, I've been staying away from Chrome since last week and the problem seems to have gone away. I clicked on a link in an email today and Chrome opened up. When I tried to close it after viewing the web page, the system froze. I've changed my default browser back to Safari and we'll see what happens. I have no idea why Chrome would be causing a problem, though it does seem to be the active program each time my iMac has locked.

RiseAbove
Premium Member

RiseAbove

Premium Member

said by bjf123:

FWIW, I've been staying away from Chrome since last week and the problem seems to have gone away. I clicked on a link in an email today and Chrome opened up. When I tried to close it after viewing the web page, the system froze. I've changed my default browser back to Safari and we'll see what happens. I have no idea why Chrome would be causing a problem, though it does seem to be the active program each time my iMac has locked.

Chrome had a big known bug that hurt certain 2011 and 2012 Macs where it would completely lock it up like you have been experiencing so it sounds like you could of been hit with that issue even though you have an older Mac.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer to bjf123

Premium Member

to bjf123
said by bjf123:

Since it seems to be a software issue, I would still try a clean install of Lion. Hopefully you have all of your photos, music, docs, etc, backed up also on an external HDD. I know it's time consuming, but as RiseAbove said, I would not recover from the TM backup. Start completely fresh and see how it goes then. Hopefully Chrome will work better and no longer lock up your system.

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Hamilton, OH

bjf123

Premium Member

Just a quick update. It's been a month since I stopped using Chrome and my iMac hasn't locked up at all. Looks like Chrome was the culprit, which is a shame because it seemed to be quicker than Safari. Oh well.