spc
Search similar:

uniqs
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane

[Southwest] So I ordered 150/35 in Murphy, TX

I know a lot of people here from the Plano/Murphy/Wylie region were complaining that they couldn't order the 100+Mbps plans that require GPON. After much finagling I got an order in for a 150/35 business plan and of course they said they would have to install additional equipment at the CO for it. So this may help out everyone in the area.

(It's an outrageous price right now, but I figured may as well get the ball rolling on getting the GPON ONT and GPON switch installed on the CO if I could since in the past I've seen this take 1+ months when people convince verizon to upgrade, and I'll just swap it for the cheaper 150/65 when it hits business, I dont mind taking the hit for a month).

Anyway, they say they're going to roll a tech out next Tuesday to upgrade my ONT to GPON, we'll see if the GPON switch gets installed, maybe that may open up others in the region to GPON speeds as well. I guess the business sales people have more sway for GPON upgrades than the residential people do. (But I'm still not holding my breath until I see a GPON ONT with green lights on it on the side of my house, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they sent a tech out with a GPON ONT only to find out that the switch isn't ready or installed yet, since of course this is Verizon and the left hand almost never talks to the right).
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87

said by McBane:

After much finagling I got an order in for a 150/35 business plan and of course they said they would have to install additional equipment at the CO for it. So this may help out everyone in the area.

This is at the $200/mo. pre-quantum price correct? Unless Business Quantum has been rolling out?
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to McBane

Premium Member

to McBane
Is your local distribution hub GPON?
McBane
Wylie, TX

1 edit

McBane

Heh yea, it's pre-quantum price for now, at least until quantum business hits, rumors say it will to be late August. I figure I'm going to get royally screwed on billing but I'm a seasoned verizon billing warrior now so I expect to fight many battles on this front after the upgrade and additional Quantum price jump. I expect to get gouged for 1 month if they can actually pull off getting all the equipment setup for GPON, but at least I'll be in before the business side rush (I know many businesses in my area will be upgrading to it)

My local distro hub is BPON, which is why they said they needed to upgrade it. I hope it gets upgraded before my truck roll next Tuesday, otherwise they'll just be wasting his gas. I anticipate it will not be done honestly and most of this month will be spent waiting on the CO upgrade.

Teasip
join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

Teasip

Which hub are you connected out of if I might ask? Hub/CO one and the same?
aguen
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

aguen

Premium Member

CO (Central Office) feeds out individual fiber trunks to localized areas in a community, from there, many hubs distribute the local fiber connections directly to customers. In the early days of Fios deployment the CO's and hubs used BPON only links. where I live, is predominately BPON.
McBane
Wylie, TX

McBane to Teasip

to Teasip
I think I'm connected to the east plano CO (the one in the old part of downtown Plano). In Verizon's FiOS location DB they consider me Plano instead of Murphy.

There is another CO in Garland which is about the same distance though, but it's slightly further away
flashcore
join:2007-01-23
united state

flashcore to aguen

to aguen
said by aguen:

Is your local distribution hub GPON?

Based on the comments the tech made to me when I upgraded to 150/65 GPON they never installed any new equipment at the distribution hub but yet I am running on GPON so they must have found some way to avoid having to replace the hubs.
McBane
Wylie, TX

McBane

It sounds like you already had a hybrid CO. BPON and GPON are how most GPON COs are. I think only one small section of Texas has GPON currently and that's up in like north Denton or something.
aguen
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to flashcore

Premium Member

to flashcore
Considering we don't know where you are, or which Fios market you are in, it's quite possible your area is newer than where we are.
Our area of North Texas was one of the first build outs, although I believe the Plano area is in one of the several over build areas and may be of a more recent vintage. I've had Fios since I moved here in 06 and it was already in place at that time. Also, for what it's worth our TV portion is VH01.
flashcore
join:2007-01-23
united state

flashcore

I am in Maryland, I was the first one served out of the CO I am hooked to back in the spring of 2007 (Also the first one in Baltimore County), there was no GPON available at that point in time.

Teasip
join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

Teasip to McBane

to McBane
To my knowledge the CO off Legacy Dr. in north central Plano (mine) remains BPON only. It also was one of the first online for FiOS service as I recall.
McBane
Wylie, TX

McBane

LOL, well two techs came out today to verify my order and look at my ONT. The techs said my order for an upgrade from 35/35 somehow came to them as a DOWNGRADE to 25/25 and an addition of 2 voice lines (LOL WTF). I told them no, I had UPGRADED my service from 35/35 to the 150/35 speed and NOTHING ELSE. Then they said they were gonna take a look at my ONT and contact me back about the upgrade, supposedly still planned for next week.

I sometimes wonder if the sales reps just throw on extra stuff just to get a commission because every single change on my account (Minus adding a STB) magically gets like 1 or 2 sometimes 3 things I didn't even order...

Now to wait and see what happens on the roll out (If they even show up).
pappy97
join:2007-03-12
El Paso, TX

pappy97 to McBane

to McBane
"fter much finagling I got an order in for a 150/35 business plan and of course they said they would have to install additional equipment at the CO for it. So this may help out everyone in the area."

Hey McBane, can you please elaborate on the finagling? Who exactly did you call? Did you simply call FIOS Small Business and try to order it? That's it? Sounds like you did much more that.

Thanks.
McBane
Wylie, TX

McBane

Yeah I basically just kept calling the small business sales reps all last week until one of them went to engineering and asked if it would be possible to upgrade.

I honestly think I just got a sale hungry sales rep who was desperate to push through any sale they could since I also got two voice lines I never asked about or ordered, and now they're stuck with the sale and push to upgrade.

They may call me back tomorrow and tell me the sales rep was an idiot and they can't upgrade since it came through to the install techs as a downgrade to 25/25, not an upgrade to 150/35.
McBane

McBane

Well rollout is confirmed for Tuesday. I noticed this weekend that I can now plug my address in on the website and the 300/65 service is available for residential when previously it would only go up to 75/35. Maybe the GPON OLT got installed?
pappy97
El Paso, TX

pappy97

said by McBane:

Well rollout is confirmed for Tuesday. I noticed this weekend that I can now plug my address in on the website and the 300/65 service is available for residential when previously it would only go up to 75/35. Maybe the GPON OLT got installed?

So, by rollout, you mean the "install," correct? The day when you get a GPON ONT and the latest version of their router and (hopefully) begin to enjoy 150 megabit down?
McBane
Wylie, TX

McBane

Ya in theory. I hope Verizon has all their stuff ready to go for it.
pappy97
El Paso, TX

pappy97 to McBane

to McBane
I keep checking this thread in eager anticipation to hear confirmation that you now have GPON. Fingers crossed!
McBane
Wylie, TX

McBane

Heh, well Verizon came out and put a Motorola 1000GT3 on the side of my house yesterday. The tech got the TV up and working on it only to never get the internet side up. He said there was some problem at the switch (Probably needs a GPON upgrade) but everything at the OLT and ONT is ready to go. He said it would take a few days for them to check out the switch in my neighborhood to see if they need to upgrade it and that it would take 1 or 2 days to get that completed. On a side note its kinda funny that the 1000GT3 is like twice the size of my old Tellabs 612.

He zip tied my old BPON ONT ontop of my new GPON one and hooked it back up, so I'm back on BPON for the next few days...
pappy97
El Paso, TX

pappy97

said by McBane:

Heh, well Verizon came out and put a Motorola 1000GT3 on the side of my house yesterday. The tech got the TV up and working on it only to never get the internet side up. He said there was some problem at the switch (Probably needs a GPON upgrade) but everything at the OLT and ONT is ready to go. He said it would take a few days for them to check out the switch in my neighborhood to see if they need to upgrade it and that it would take 1 or 2 days to get that completed. On a side note its kinda funny that the 1000GT3 is like twice the size of my old Tellabs 612.

He zip tied my old BPON ONT ontop of my new GPON one and hooked it back up, so I'm back on BPON for the next few days...

Did the techs make any progress on this, or is 1-2 days going to end up 1-2 weeks?
McBane
Wylie, TX

McBane

Well it's been rescheduled again for this Tuesday, so we'll see what happens then.
McBane

1 edit

McBane

Click for full size
Up on 150/35 in Murphy, and I confirmed with the tech I'm the first GPON out of Wylie CO

Apparently the first GPON ONT they tried was bad, so they put on a 1000GT4 and after a few hours I was up and running!

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Congrats on getting it.
McBane
Wylie, TX

McBane

Thanks! Just don't take no for an answer when you call for GPON speeds, worked for me lol, now maybe my area can benefit from a GPON CO
aguen
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

aguen

Premium Member

It's good to see that Verizon will actually spend the money to upgrade existing plant in order to bring the new speed packages to "older" markets, especially in this tougher economy.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to McBane

Premium Member

to McBane
I just wish they would get my services up. My services have been down for over 88 hours now. All from the upgrade from BPON to GPON for me upgrading to the 150/65 tier. This is really getting absurd. There is no reason my services should be down for over 3.5 days just for switching me from BPON to GPON.

Yesterday the higher level tech support person told me that is was connected to a circuit that never worked. Well if it never worked, why would you hook someone up to it???
aguen
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

aguen

Premium Member

said by aaronwt:

Yesterday the higher level tech support person told me that is was connected to a circuit that never worked. Well if it never worked, why would you hook someone up to it???

How else can they trouble shoot that circuit?

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by aguen:

said by aaronwt:

How else can they trouble shoot that circuit?

They knew before hand it never worked. I should not have been connected to it.
McBane
Wylie, TX

1 edit

McBane

Did the higher level tech support guy not fix it? Luckily for me when they realized it wasn't working at first they strapped on my old BPON ontop of my new GPON until they could get another tech out.

I kinda think that's what killed that ONT though. The BPON heat sandwiched between that and a brick wall in 110 degree Texas heat could have fried it.

On a side note: Does anyone actually know where the CO is located in Wylie? I never knew there was one.