uniqs
share rss forum feed

pappy97

join:2007-03-12
Dallas, TX
reply to McBane

Re: [Southwest] So I ordered 150/35 in Murphy, TX

said by McBane:

Heh, well Verizon came out and put a Motorola 1000GT3 on the side of my house yesterday. The tech got the TV up and working on it only to never get the internet side up. He said there was some problem at the switch (Probably needs a GPON upgrade) but everything at the OLT and ONT is ready to go. He said it would take a few days for them to check out the switch in my neighborhood to see if they need to upgrade it and that it would take 1 or 2 days to get that completed. On a side note its kinda funny that the 1000GT3 is like twice the size of my old Tellabs 612.

He zip tied my old BPON ONT ontop of my new GPON one and hooked it back up, so I'm back on BPON for the next few days...

Did the techs make any progress on this, or is 1-2 days going to end up 1-2 weeks?

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
Well it's been rescheduled again for this Tuesday, so we'll see what happens then.

McBane

Plano, TX

1 edit
Click for full size
Up on 150/35 in Murphy, and I confirmed with the tech I'm the first GPON out of Wylie CO

Apparently the first GPON ONT they tried was bad, so they put on a 1000GT4 and after a few hours I was up and running!

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
Congrats on getting it.

McBane

Plano, TX
Thanks! Just don't take no for an answer when you call for GPON speeds, worked for me lol, now maybe my area can benefit from a GPON CO

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
It's good to see that Verizon will actually spend the money to upgrade existing plant in order to bring the new speed packages to "older" markets, especially in this tougher economy.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to McBane
I just wish they would get my services up. My services have been down for over 88 hours now. All from the upgrade from BPON to GPON for me upgrading to the 150/65 tier. This is really getting absurd. There is no reason my services should be down for over 3.5 days just for switching me from BPON to GPON.

Yesterday the higher level tech support person told me that is was connected to a circuit that never worked. Well if it never worked, why would you hook someone up to it???

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
said by aaronwt:

Yesterday the higher level tech support person told me that is was connected to a circuit that never worked. Well if it never worked, why would you hook someone up to it???

How else can they trouble shoot that circuit?

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
said by aguen:

said by aaronwt:

How else can they trouble shoot that circuit?

They knew before hand it never worked. I should not have been connected to it.

McBane

Plano, TX

1 edit
Did the higher level tech support guy not fix it? Luckily for me when they realized it wasn't working at first they strapped on my old BPON ontop of my new GPON until they could get another tech out.

I kinda think that's what killed that ONT though. The BPON heat sandwiched between that and a brick wall in 110 degree Texas heat could have fried it.

On a side note: Does anyone actually know where the CO is located in Wylie? I never knew there was one.

McBane

Plano, TX
It might just be me eyes deceiving me but it kinda looks like the PQ on the TV side improved slightly over my BPON Tellabs 612 ONT too

wizziwig

@cox.net
reply to McBane
McBane,

So what is this BPON to GPON upgrade going to cost you? Any installation or equipment fees? Did you have to commit to a small-business contract or will you be switching to the cheaper quantum consumer plan starting next month?

McBane

Plano, TX
Ugh... 2nd GPON ONT in a row just seems to have died... back on wireless hotspot for now lol They say a tech will be out to replace it again today though and it's probably power related. I dunno if all the old power supply and battery backup stuff can power these new GPON ONTs I guess?

No charges to me except the change in monthly fees on the service levels is what I've been told by multiple people and I intend to hold them to that

pappy97

Dallas, TX
reply to McBane
said by McBane:

Up on 150/35 in Murphy, and I confirmed with the tech I'm the first GPON out of Wylie CO

Apparently the first GPON ONT they tried was bad, so they put on a 1000GT4 and after a few hours I was up and running!

Awesome, this is GREAT news. You say, "Wylie CO"...I thought Wylie was not a city where they had a CO??

pappy97

Dallas, TX

2 edits
reply to McBane
said by McBane:

Thanks! Just don't take no for an answer when you call for GPON speeds, worked for me lol, now maybe my area can benefit from a GPON CO

It worked for you on FIOS Small Business. I wonder if repeated calls to residential would work. I might have to try as I would like to stay residential, if possible. Makes things easier, I think.

Then again, even if I can get Verizon to upgrade me to GPON for those tiers, on residential those tiers are not avail to bundle. So even if I could get FIOS residential to let me get 150/65, I currently have a double play contract for 75/35 + phone. I doubt they'd let me drop the phone without paying ETF just to go 150/65 solo (Since I don't want to pay $150/month for 150/65 + phone without a bundle).

That side of me leaves me to believe I should wait for FIOS Small Business get the new tiers, then lobby for an upgrade to a 150/65 bundle with phone (since on small business they will likely still have phone + internet bundles, even on the GPON tiers). I dunno.

McBane

Plano, TX

2 edits
FINALLY back up again... apparently the GPON OLT Fiber blade I was on (I'm the only one on the OLT) went out so they swapped that out this morning and I'm back up.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Yeah, I also had no idea I was on a CO out of Wylie either until this install. I thought I was coming out of the east Plano CO. All the techs said they're not even sure where the Wylie CO is because their service dispatch center is separate but also in Wylie and none of them ever have to go to the CO since that is a different group of techs. Apparently it's not a big one though because they said it's not staffed 24/7 and that's why I had to wait until this morning to get it fixed since nobody was there to perform the card swap on the OLT. The poor tech out here was swapping ONT after ONT to convince them it was an OLT issue and they didn't find that out until like 8:30PM when nobody is staffed at the CO.

From what I understand though as long as the CO has a GPON OLT that makes it a "hybrid" BPON/GPON CO, so they should qualify all of Wylie/Murphy and area for GPON speeds soon if they haven't already. If all else fails tell them you know someone on the same area has GPON so you know that your CO has the capability.

lijacobs

join:2010-07-30
Lawrence, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by McBane:

Apparently it's not a big one though because they said it's not staffed 24/7 and that's why I had to wait until this morning to get it fixed since nobody was there to perform the card swap on the OLT. The poor tech out here was swapping ONT after ONT to convince them it was an OLT issue and they didn't find that out until like 8:30PM when nobody is staffed at the CO.

VZ has reduced their central office technician staff to the point where one technician has to cover 20 or more CO's, so most CO's are not staffed at all. I'm suprized that they were able to clear this trouble so quickly.