uniqs

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

This is a joke.

I was actually looking forward to shared data plans in hopes that maybe, just maybe it would simplify my life (wow, stupid I know).

These plans are so ridiculous. The fact that AT&T charges $30 a month for "dumb phones" who consume no data at all is pathetic.

I have an account with 5 lines - three smartphones and two dumb phones. If I were to switch to the shared 4 GB, my bill would go up at least $70 from where I'm at now.

It looks like I'll be exploring other options for my cell provider. It may just be time to look closer at Sprint.

scott2020
join:2008-07-20
MO

scott2020

Makes me wish for the good old "add a line for $9.99" days.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to gigahurtz

to gigahurtz
At the risk of sounding like a Sprint shill, your are should be geting LTE (and better 3G) by the end of the year or maybe the beginning of next year. So Sprint actually might be a good choice (particularly since additional smartphones on their Everything Data family plans are $30 per month...and that $30 includes unlimited texting and calling to any cell phone number...and who calls landlines anymore?).

Or you can go with T-Mobile, which from what I've experienced has a ridiculously awesome DC-HSPA+ network in much of Florida. On download speeds their high-end phones match LTE.

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

Jodokast96 to gigahurtz

Premium Member

to gigahurtz
True. But on the flip side, both me and my daughter can upgrade to smartphones (wife already has one) for $20 more a month than we currently pay. The only drawback is my wife would lose her grandfathered unlimited data plan. Not upgrading anything, I'd pay the same. Kind of like cable, I'm not saving any money, but they are giving me, :cough, cough: *more* for my money. So, for some, there is a small incentive to signing up for these plans. I'm not sure I'd want her to give up her unlimited, even if she only uses less than a gb a month.
wingrider01
join:2006-07-25
Saint Louis, MO

wingrider01 to gigahurtz

to gigahurtz
said by gigahurtz:

I was actually looking forward to shared data plans in hopes that maybe, just maybe it would simplify my life (wow, stupid I know).

These plans are so ridiculous. The fact that AT&T charges $30 a month for "dumb phones" who consume no data at all is pathetic.

I have an account with 5 lines - three smartphones and two dumb phones. If I were to switch to the shared 4 GB, my bill would go up at least $70 from where I'm at now.

It looks like I'll be exploring other options for my cell provider. It may just be time to look closer at Sprint.

that price does include the shared data

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

I realize that, but most dumb phones provide no reason to even want to access data and when they do consume very little. To charge $30 a month for those phones and only $10 more (sometimes even less than that) for a phone that consumes much more seems a bit odd.