Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
reply to n3k0

Re: Cogeco buying Atlantic Broadband

said by n3k0 :

As an existing Atlantic Broadband customer; I for one welcome our new GouGeco overlords.

You have teksavvy AND Atlantic Broadband? Do you also have verizon and comcast too?

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:6
reply to lockejcole
You're the first to complain. I guess the version of Adobe Reader is far more important than raising rates every 6 months, and blowing 600 million in shareholder value on Portuguese cable systems.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

lockejcole

join:2010-06-11
Hamilton, ON
No, just seemed distasteful. Not fair to compare you two anyways, seeing how you don't offer anything I could use nor speeds over 6mbps for home lines. Cogeco has its issues, but my connection has been top notch. Not everyone is unhappy. Getting off topic now, so I'll leave it at that.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:6
reply to Eunectesboy
Ultimately the topic is about Cogeco buying a US network for $1.3bn. The pressure to provide return to shareholders will be even greater now that they have to service that level of debt. It can't bode well for consumers - no matter which side of the deal they're on.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently

join:2011-04-19
Hamilton, ON
reply to robman50
said by Gone:

Portugal all over again.

Yeah, I can totally see that. I should really look into teksavvy again.

said by robman50:

What would this mean for us up in Ontario? Higher bills or lower bills? Or more stuff for us or less stuff? Or not a darn thing?

They raise their rates twice a year, and give us less service to go with it... so not really anything new... we're still getting screwed, and we'll continue to be screwed.
--
Myth: It's only fair to pay for quality first-run movies.
Fact: Most movies shown on cable get two stars or less
and are repeated ad nauseum.

n3k0

@teksavvy.com
reply to urbanriot
Ah, it appears I forgot to include the obligatory smiley face when I posted; my apologies. My comment was satirical, although I think you knew that

diskdocx

join:2005-09-26
Burlington, ON
reply to Os
said by Os:

Nope, no caps at ABB. Explicitly in the TOS and AUP.

And we just got D3 speeds. We have 40/3 as a max here for $69.99 with no caps right now.

South Florida has 75/5 for the same price, and a 110/5 tier.

TOS and AUP can be changed at any time with appropriate notice (typically 30 days, give or take). I am sure Cogeco would not have bought the network if they couldn't impose the necessary measures to ensure you get the most out of you cable experience....

Considering that Comcast gets flak for 250 gig caps, I wonder how well Cogeco's caps will go over?

The closest equivalent in Cogeco's current offerings would be 30/1.5 with a 175 gig cap for just over $70/mo (no counting any bundle discounts, if available)

Bottom line, you will not have unlimited for much longer. The highest transfer Cogeco allows is 250 gigs, but that will cost upwards of $100 per month.

Course, we will probably subsidize your pricing if there is any competition.

fibretexx

@cgocable.net
reply to Eunectesboy
Funny reading these posts.
I wouldn't expect to see any of the silly changes as some people would lead to to believe.
Hang tight

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to robman50
said by robman50:

What would this mean for us up in Ontario? Higher bills or lower bills? Or more stuff for us or less stuff? Or not a darn thing?

When it all goes south, you'll be paying a "We screwed up in buying Atlantic Broadband and lost our shirts recovery fee".
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

diskdocx

join:2005-09-26
Burlington, ON
said by elwoodblues:

said by robman50:

When it all goes south, you'll be paying a "We screwed up in buying Atlantic Broadband and lost our shirts recovery fee".

They already lost their shirts in Portugal last year. Perhaps pants this time...

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
reply to Eunectesboy
Perhaps they will continue to move south out of Ontario. That'd be real nice.