Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000 to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini

Re: WARNING: WIND Mobile

Wind has done an awesome job with the Samsung Galaxy S3 launch! At first they wouldn't let current customers buy it. Now they're allowing people who reserved one to buy it, but only on Wind Tab. That's right, they're FORCING a contract on anyone that wants an S3. Wind Tab is actually WORSE than Rogers 3 year contracts now since Rogers takes more off of the Flextab value each month.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

said by TLS2000:

Wind has done an awesome job with the Samsung Galaxy S3 launch! At first they wouldn't let current customers buy it. Now they're allowing people who reserved one to buy it, but only on Wind Tab. That's right, they're FORCING a contract on anyone that wants an S3. Wind Tab is actually WORSE than Rogers 3 year contracts now since Rogers takes more off of the Flextab value each month.

Wind had a great idea, great plan and like TSI started a trend of competition. Unfortunate part is, they are so disorganized (all over the place) and policies are per person, per store, not as a whole that Wind is no longer a real good choice anymore.

Wind keeps saying they are expanding but it's at a very slow rate, their phones are pretty cheap (poorly made) not all of them though.

That said, my wife has herself setup on Wind and no complaints. Easy to pay, easy to setup (manually). Only thing we hate the most is unless you REALLY pay attention and your phone jumps to Wind Away, you're charged and it's happened so many times i jumped over to Telus on my now iPhone instead.

icemasta
@teksavvy.com

icemasta

Anon

On Android there is a way to force the phone to stay connected to Wind and not jump to Rogers when you don't have any Wind service.

You press *#4636#* in the Dialer and then you set the phone from WCDMA Preferred to WCDMA Only in Phone Information.

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini to TLS2000

to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

What the hell are you talking about? I got a Galaxy Nexus for $149 with unlimited EVERYTHING for $40/month with NO contract. The only thing I have to do is pay off my smartphone in the event I want to ditch WIND but that's unlikely to happen, these guys are cheap and honest (my bill, with data included, never goes past $40/month), try that with Rogers which monthly bills were in the order of between $117 to $220 a month, and they didn't even give me text messages or unlimited local calling

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr

Anon

TLS2000 is referring to the fact that on Rogers, your tab balance goes down much faster than Wind's tab system, thus it is cheaper to cancel mid contract with Rogers vs. Wind. However, both Wind and Rogers clear your tab balance after 3 years.

With Rogers their tab formula works out like this

Subsidy/Total months in agreement= Amount paid towards tab balance each month

On Rogers if you receive a 500 dollar subsidy for signing up on a 3 year term it would work out like this

$500/36months=$13.80

If a customer were to cancel after one year they would pay $331.20 plus a service deactivation fee of $12.50 with a total of $343.70

Wind applies 10% of your MSF towards your tab balance

So a Wind customer who received a subsidy of $500 and signs up for a plan with an MSF of $40 would only have $4 a month going towards the tab balance. If this wind customer wants to cancel after a year they would have to pay $452 to cancel.
yyzlhr

yyzlhr to Xstar_Lumini

Anon

to Xstar_Lumini
Also, we've all discussed extensively in this thread that your bill only fluctuates when you don't understand what you're paying for. People on Wind who don't pay attention to what they offer can have fluctuating bills as well. Step outside a wind zone and use your phone, you get dinged with PPU charges.

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini to yyzlhr

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr :

Wind applies 10% of your MSF towards your tab balance

So a Wind customer who received a subsidy of $500 and signs up for a plan with an MSF of $40 would only have $4 a month going towards the tab balance. If this wind customer wants to cancel after a year they would have to pay $452 to cancel.

Again what the hell are you talking about? I will pay $0 if I ever cancel with WIND, there is NO contract, you got me? NO contract.

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr

Anon

Ummm.. You acknowledged in a previous post you have to "pay off your smartphone" if you cancel. You really think the Galaxy Nexus retails for $149? If you cancel your Wind service before 3 years you have to pay back the remaining subsidy balance on your device which is NOT zero dollars. You may feel like you're not on a contract based on the way Wind markets their tab system, but it really isn't that much different from a 3 year Rogers contract.

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

BliZZardX

Premium Member

A 3 year Rogers contract before or after FlexTab was brought in (not that long ago)? If you have one of the older plans the $500 ECF or whatever crazy amount it was still applies. We have the new entrants to thank for the big 3 changing their character.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to yyzlhr

Premium Member

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr :

Ummm.. You acknowledged in a previous post you have to "pay off your smartphone" if you cancel. You really think the Galaxy Nexus retails for $149? If you cancel your Wind service before 3 years you have to pay back the remaining subsidy balance on your device which is NOT zero dollars. You may feel like you're not on a contract based on the way Wind markets their tab system, but it really isn't that much different from a 3 year Rogers contract.

That is correct according to the WINDTab terms and conditions (page 2):

"You Leaving Us

As a WIND customer, you always have the right to terminate the provision of Services at any time and you can repay your WINDtab at any time. When we hear from you (or your new wireless service provider) that you want to leave us, you are obligated to pay us for the outstanding portion of your WINDtab. You can keep the phone or
data stick. If you want to terminate the provision of Services for some but not all lines on your account, you may do so, but will be required to repay the WINDtab for the terminated lines."

»www.windmobile.ca/WIND%2 ··· 53236520

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000 to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini
said by Xstar_Lumini:

What the hell are you talking about? I got a Galaxy Nexus for $149 with unlimited EVERYTHING for $40/month with NO contract. The only thing I have to do is pay off my smartphone in the event I want to ditch WIND but that's unlikely to happen, these guys are cheap and honest (my bill, with data included, never goes past $40/month), try that with Rogers which monthly bills were in the order of between $117 to $220 a month, and they didn't even give me text messages or unlimited local calling

Once again, you either don't understand what you have, or you are lying. Please explain what Wind Tab is and then compare it to a current 3 year contract with Rogers or Telus.

If I want to cancel my Rogers account I have to pay back the subsidy. It's the EXACT SAME THING as WindTab, only Rogers quite correctly calls it a 3 year term. Wind has avoided calling Wind Tab a contract, but it's the exact same as a contract from Rogers and Telus now. If you have to pay them back, you're on a contract. Get that through your head, please!

With my S3 I can pay off the balance at any time (just like you with Wind Tab). I can cancel my account at any time (and pay the subsidy back, just like you with Wind Tab). What's more, Rogers deducts a MUCH HIGHER amount of money off of my tab ever month than Wind does for you. So guess what? In two years when I decide to switch phones I'm going to be paying Rogers a much smaller fee than you'll pay Wind if you do the same thing.

Also your BS about it costing $117 to $220/mo for Rogers is because you had no idea what you were signing up for. You're spreading misinformation because you didn't read the details of the contract that you signed. I'm paying less than $100/mo with Rogers and I have essentially unlimited use for what I use the phone for. Yes I've got 6GB of data, but I've never gone over it and I don't even monitor my data usage! I've got text messaging and I don't even have to pay extra for it!

Stop spreading misinformation and maybe people will start to take your posts seriously.
TLS2000

TLS2000 to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini
said by Xstar_Lumini:

Again what the hell are you talking about? I will pay $0 if I ever cancel with WIND, there is NO contract, you got me? NO contract.

Do you pay back the balance on your tab? Yes? Then you have a penalty for cancelling. It's the SAME as Rogers and Telus, only Rogers and Telus will shrink your tab faster than Wind, so cancelling in the middle of your contract will be cheaper with Rogers or Telus than Wind.

Again, WIND TAB IS A CONTRACT REGARDLESS OF HOW WIND'S MARKETING DEPARTMENT TRICKS YOU INTO BELIEVING OTHERWISE.
TLS2000

TLS2000 to BliZZardX

Premium Member

to BliZZardX
said by BliZZardX:

A 3 year Rogers contract before or after FlexTab was brought in (not that long ago)? If you have one of the older plans the $500 ECF or whatever crazy amount it was still applies. We have the new entrants to thank for the big 3 changing their character.

Actually we have consumer protection laws that are in place in Quebec, Manitoba and soon Ontario to thank for this.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

1 edit

bt to TLS2000

to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

If I want to cancel my Rogers account I have to pay back the subsidy.

Plus $12.50 per line with Rogers outside of MB/QC. In MB/QC, it's the lesser of $50 or 10% of your monthly bill. Not a huge amount, but it's there.

Plus the subsidy on the data, if you got a plan with a data discount (but they're absurdly vague about that). It's vague enough that you could theoretically end up in the weeds with this one without expecting to.

Telus has a $50 account deactivation fee if you're under a term contract, in addition to the device subsidy.

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON

BliZZardX

Premium Member

Better than Bell. Bell still has a $600 ECF if you have a voice plan with data.
BliZZardX

BliZZardX to TLS2000

Premium Member

to TLS2000
It was a response to competition. How else can you explain Bell still charging the old way? They don't feel threatened by new entrants as much as Rogers. Rogers has the most subscribers of the big 3 and the most customers to lose.