Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mikepd
Discovery
Premium,MVM
join:2000-10-26
New Port Richey, FL

So much for Quantum speeds in New Port Richey, Fl.

When I called to see what my options were to upgrade from 35/35 to the newer tiers, the answer I got was disappointing to say the least.

I was told that 50/25 was the best available to my area. When I asked about the new tiers, I was told that I could get my name placed on a list which would show unnamed superiors of my interest in the Quantum tiers.

It seems as if my CO is not worthy of upgrade as she mentioned the more names they got on this list then the better the bosses would see the value of upgrading to Quantum level.

I feel it is just a shame the best Verizon can do is support a speed level that I could have had years ago (50/25) if I felt any reason to 'upgrade' for a bit more download, less upload and for more money, of course.

My FIOS service has been excellent but I sure wish I could join in the new fun speeds!
--
Always Reach Beyond Your Grasp

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:2

Well, list any other provider that will give you 58/38 speeds ... that's what one gets on 50/20 ...

I tried three of the new tiers, and now on 15/5 ... its plenty, even with torrents

Yld2rob

@173.59.2.x
reply to mikepd

I am with you. I live in the Valley Forge PA area and the fastest I can get is 35/35 (even though they told me I would never see 35mbps on the upstream). They told me wait....

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX

You can try and keep bugging them, SOMETIMES if you make enough noise they'll upgrade your CO to shut you up. (Although I think business accounts have much more success at this than residential, residential reps seem to just stone wall the issue)

I wonder why they don't offer the 75 tier to you guys though? I guess that may only be for Tellabs BPON COs since they could properly handle 35 up? I know that old Motorola BPON ONT sucks and couldn't even support 35/35.

xocsucram

join:2008-10-02
reply to mikepd

the upload is the same

60/40 overhead

tomshoe6

join:2012-07-06
Tampa, FL
reply to mikepd

I guess it depends on what area in New Port Richey you are in? I know for a fact that it's available in most areas, as I have a few friends who live there who have it.

mikepd
Discovery
Premium,MVM
New Port Richey, FL

It is probably dependent on the particular CO. IIRC, I am served through an RT so that may explain why Quantum speeds are not available, at least for the present time until things change.
--

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31

said by mikepd:

I am served through an RT

FIOS does not RTs.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

said by More Fiber:

said by mikepd:

I am served through an RT

FIOS does not RTs.

That's what I thought until I googled a bit. Maybe not by choice or design, but the hardware appears to be available. »www.alliedtelesis.com/media/data···7_DS.pdf

Then again, it ends up looking like a UVerse solution, so maybe that's out of the cards for FiOS.

mikepd
Discovery
Premium,MVM
New Port Richey, FL
reply to More Fiber

I have had 35/35 as stated in my original post, previously had DSL which is when I found out about the RT.
--

jasonacg

join:2001-02-07
Hudson, FL

Were you ever able to get anything faster, since your posts? I'm located in Hudson, and was able to subscribe to the 75/35 on the release date, by ordering online. VZ's speed tests show max speeds of about 84/38.

Being adjacent CO's in the same county, we used to be treated equally. Maybe that's no longer the case?

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House

1 edit

I've played around with the online qualification system and noticed even though one screen says 50/25 is the max, you can do better. Go to the FIOS home page, list the tiers, then click on the Order Now button for 75/35. For some reason the system will begin the order at that tier. I've never completed it so maybe it will error out further down the line, but it's worth a shot.

Update: Mike, I'm guessing you're in 34652? Inlaws in 34653 can get Quantum 300/65.

lijacobs

join:2010-07-30
Lawrence, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to birdfeedr

said by birdfeedr:

That's what I thought until I googled a bit. Maybe not by choice or design, but the hardware appears to be available. »www.alliedtelesis.com/media/data···7_DS.pdf

I may have missed something in the specs, but I don't see support for rf over fiber - required for FiOS TV

McBane

Plano, TX
reply to birdfeedr

I hear from the techs that installed my GPON ONT that they have a RT somewhere in Wylie too. Half of Murphy/Wylie is served out of the RT cabinet somewhere and the other half is served out of the Wylie CO. Mine came from the CO but that was one of their initial steps was "To see if I was on the CO or the RT in Wylie"

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16

There is no such thing as a FiOS 'RT'. The only thing that can be done differently than a normal FiOS CO is a 'passthrough' CO. So the CO providing your FiOS service (hub CO) can be farther away than your local CO (passthrough or spoke CO)....

McBane

Plano, TX

Maybe it wasn't for FiOS or maybe they meant to refer to the Wylie CO as a 'passthrough CO' rather than a remote terminal, but more than 1 tech did say they have a 'Remote Terminal' in Wylie, although I wouldn't know why they would mention it on a fios install if it wasn't used for fios.

The Wylie CO isn't much bigger than say a double wide trailer, so maybe they were referring to that as the remote terminal? Although they mentioned more than once that I'm on the "Wylie CO, not the Wylie Remote terminal"

mikepd
Discovery
Premium,MVM
New Port Richey, FL
reply to rebus9

I am in 34653 zip code. I have been busy with some things that need to get done so I have yet to pursue this further.

However, I plan to call Verizon later this week to try again. 300/65 most likely is beyond my price range but I'll see what happens when I call.
--

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House

said by mikepd:

I am in 34653 zip code. I have been busy with some things that need to get done so I have yet to pursue this further.

However, I plan to call Verizon later this week to try again. 300/65 most likely is beyond my price range but I'll see what happens when I call.

Ok, you must be to the north or west of my inlaws. I sampled some addresses toward the east and south of them and all were quantum eligible. Toward the north and west, most were BPON 50/25 only.

We didn't get FIOS in ours and surrounding neighborhoods until late 2007, early 2008. I figured by then Verizon would have been using GPON. Apparently not. After playing more with the online qualification system, if I put in my address first, then go back to the front of the site and choose 75/35, it allows it to be put in the cart (with my address showing as "location") and I was hopeful. It wouldn't let me choose the 150 or 300 tier, but it did for 75. But once I got to later screens, eventually it ground to a halt saying the tier is unavailable, and offered 50/25.

Bummer.