spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Cailly
join:2012-07-18
Winchester, CA

Cailly

Payroll Officer

So, I got an email advertising for a payroll officer. I fgured a scam and I was bored so I played along. I was told to go get stamps, envelopes and computer printable blank check paper. then email when I had them. then they told me to download some check printing software. which I did. then they said download this template, which I did. then they said to print out 67 pages of checks, which I said I did and they now want me to mail them a check. weird this is, the company on the check template is real, so is the bank, its address and routing number. And the company that I am supposed to mail a sample of printed checks to is the real and the address the email gives is their address. But the name of the person who is giving me these painfully slow, one step at a time like I am an idiot emails is named Sarah Williams... AND they use an aol.com email, not the company email. I know this have to be a scam, I am wondering if anyone else out there has gotten this type of email or not?

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL

Premium Member

OK. It's one thing to play along long enough to see if they give up any info about themselves that could be actionable.

You need to stop right there. Contact law enforcement and the bank the checks are drawn on. NOW. Not doing so could blow up on you in a very, very bad way.
Cailly
join:2012-07-18
Winchester, CA

Cailly

Yeah, I already contacted the bank, and the supposed employer just confirmed there is no Sarah William working for them nor any position of the sort. I finally got an email to go through to the company who's account would be compromised too. Now to contact L.E.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb to Cailly

Premium Member

to Cailly
this is not a new scam. been going on for a few years at least. search the forums here and you'll find a few storie the banks and companies are all real, but they have no idea. leave them be and hand it over to the cops

JALevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JALevinworth to Cailly

Anon

to Cailly
said by Cailly:

So, I got an email advertising for a payroll officer. I fgured a scam and I was bored so I played along. I was told to go get stamps, envelopes and computer printable blank check paper. then email when I had them. then they told me to download some check printing software. which I did. then they said download this template, which I did. then they said to print out 67 pages of checks, which I said I did and they now want me to mail them a check. weird this is, the company on the check template is real, so is the bank, its address and routing number. And the company that I am supposed to mail a sample of printed checks to is the real and the address the email gives is their address.
[snip]
I know this have to be a scam, I am wondering if anyone else out there has gotten this type of email or not?

Cailly, Welcome to DSLR. Can you post the emails here with full headers (personal information eradicated of course). That would help immensely. Also, what was the software and where did you download it from?

Here is one such thread that pcdebb See Profile mentioned:
»[Scam] Is this a scam???

The above thread shows what happens to the checks you were asked to print including the effect on the victim business.
-Jim