uniqs

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

1 edit

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

(Philly) Tons of HD Premium Channels will be removed!

What in the hell is going on over there at Comcast?

I just got a flyer in the mail that says on August.23 I am going to lose 24 HD Premium Channels!

Who the $%^& does Comcast think they are and what's the reason behind this? 24 HD Premium channels ARE YOU KIDDING ME??????

Are they going to lower my bill too?

I can understand maybe 1,2 or even 3 channels but 24?

My eye balls almost popped out of my head when I saw this flyer.

Please somebody tell me this is just a printing mistake.

If this is really happening then bye bye comcast!

Comcast should be adding more and more HD channels not taking HD channels away!

With the price I am paying removing this many channels is just not acceptable at all!
gate1975mlm

4 edits

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Here is the flyer!

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to gate1975mlm

MVM

to gate1975mlm
This has been spreading for awhile. Basically, Comcast can make more money by using that bandwidth for non-premium channels. With HD OnDemand being widely available now, there is little need for the niche marketing.

I am a bit surprised their dropping the main TMC HD, though.
andyross

andyross to gate1975mlm

MVM

to gate1975mlm
(thought the first post didn't go through as it hung trying to save.)

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
Well I guess I will be saving money soon and lowering my package plan as there soon will not be any need for the extra Premiums anymore.

Spiderman865
join:2005-12-27
Joliet, IL

Spiderman865 to andyross

to andyross
Biggest issue is that everything that is available on the linear channels is not available on-demand. Someone a while back did a comparison either on this forum or another and proved it.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

said by Spiderman865:

Biggest issue is that everything that is available on the linear channels is not available on-demand. Someone a while back did a comparison either on this forum or another and proved it.

There is a ton of movies that are not available on demand!

I may look into switching to Verzion or DirectTV after receiving this F-ing news!

I don't mean to get so mad but this just really sucks! How can Comcast expect me to continue to pay there high prices and take away 24 HD channels that I happen to enjoy!
kb1
join:2008-11-15
South Bend, IN

kb1 to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
This is bad news. Comcast has been doing this in other parts of the country. Is my area next? Are we just going to be left with
HBOHD, CinemaxHD, StarzHD, and ShowtimeHD?
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os

I think they already did it for the systems based from the Chicago region. You would have lost a few already.

The Indianapolis and Detroit regions are the only ones unscathed that I've seen. Michigan especially has a great premium HD lineup, usually 21-26 HD premiums per system.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm to kb1

Premium Member

to kb1
said by kb1:

This is bad news. Comcast has been doing this in other parts of the country. Is my area next? Are we just going to be left with
HBOHD, CinemaxHD, StarzHD, and ShowtimeHD?

It sure looks that way
ctggzg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-11
USA

ctggzg to gate1975mlm

Premium Member

to gate1975mlm
They took away a couple of the extra Starz HD channels here last year, but we still have 4 HBO and 4 Starz. I use Windows Media Center with a Ceton CableCARD tuner, so On Demand is useless.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to gate1975mlm

MVM

to gate1975mlm
If you want sports or premium movie channels get DirecTV. They have an excellent selection of HD content in that category.

If you like more basic / variety stuff, stick with Comcast. They have way more of that than DirecTV ever will have. (Like BBCA, H2, We, IFC, Style, Ovation, GSN, Nat Geo Wild, Oxygen, TheHub, Indiplex, Retroplex, Reelz, Fearnet, G4, TV One, HLN, HSN, CSN, Comcast network, QVC, Live Well, WFN, Mav TV, NFL RedZone, EWTN, CSPAN 1 & 2, Sprout, etc.. That's a pretty decent list you can't get elsewhere... Well maybe some are on Dish Network.

Point is, make a list of all the channels you watch and pick the provider that offers the most of them for the price your willing to pay.

Time to start shopping around for the content that's important to you.
Os
US

Os

TWC/BrightHouse give their customers the best of both worlds with basic/variety and premium stuff. Comcast, with its sheer size, should be able to as well.
LoveHD
join:2011-07-31
Detroit, MI

3 edits

1 recommendation

LoveHD to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
I'm not certain if I have the correct numbers.

Comcast Philadelphia area has 30 individual channels of premium movies in HD. I don't count Encore because Comcast doesn't package Encore as a premium movie channel.

Comcast Michigan (for Detroit) has about 25 individual channels of premium movies in HD.

With Encore counting as a premium movie channel, DirecTV has 34 in HD.

I went ahead and figured, but without counting Encore, the individual channels carried in HD for premium movie screens. This is for just the east feed. Because some are not applicable with the west. HBO has 7. Cinemax has 8. Starz has 6. Showtime has 7. The Movie Channel has 2. Epix has 3. That is a total of 33 in HD.

I looked at Comcast Philadelphia, Comcast Michigan (for Detroit), and DirecTV for total of HD channels. I did not count local affiliated stations. I did not count a whole bunch of regional sports beyond one's own (because cable is more limiting than satellite). I did not count pay per view. I did not count 3D. It looks like Comcast Philadelphia has about 135 HD. 30 of them being premium movies means 22%. Comcast Michigan (Detroit) has 115 HD. 25 of them being premium movies means 22%. DirecTV has 108 in HD. 34 of them being premium movies means 31%.

To compare Comcast to DirecTV, a lot less of a percentage of total premium movies in relation to national cable channels, to be carried in high definition, is an objective with Comcast. DirecTV wants a good 10-percent more of its lineup than Comcast for the premium movie channels. If premium movie channels like HBO are important to a subscriber, Comcast moving away from it -- and relegating much of that to On Demand -- means going with a company like DirecTV would be appealing. If Comcast reducing the premium movie screens, while DirecTV seemingly overly concentrated on those premiums means you get more basic channels like Bloomberg Television HD, Fuse HD, Nat Geo Wild HD, and TV Land HD, then DirecTV isn't particularly appealing or satisfying.

The two companies have different focuses. It's up to every informed consumer to decide on his.

SJTech
@comcast.net

1 edit

1 recommendation

SJTech to gate1975mlm

Anon

to gate1975mlm
They are getting rid of the duplicate channels and moving everything to the 800's. The channels will still be available just not in the 200's anymore.
Os
US

Os to LoveHD

to LoveHD
I count 33 with Encore, IndiePlex and RetroPlex which all remain. 33 will drop to 9 in Philly next month. The suburban systems won't have any more than 6 or 7.

I count a premium channel as anything that shows unedited, commercial-free movies.

I count 35 with DirecTV.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn to gate1975mlm

MVM

to gate1975mlm
I suspect the theory is:

1. All, or much of the programming available on the extra premium channels is also available on the main premium channel or OnDemand. The extra channels just give you more possible linear viewing occasions.

2. Comcast analyzed usage, and found that most premium channel subscribers do not watch the extra HD channels.

3. Given #2, Comcast determined that it can attract make more money by re-purposing the space made available by eliminating these channels, even if it loses some subscribers because of it.

BTW, there is currently a promo going- all premium channels are $10/month each for 12 months.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

So, 24 Premiums gone - means more or less 8 open QAM's, plus throw in all the extra capacity that was already there (given that in the burbs, we didn't even have those to begin with) - and Comcast could theoretically add 30+ new HD channels at the drop of a hat. They must have something in mind.

And yes, there are that many new linear HD channels out there. Even after this "realignment", CC Philly will still have around 7-9 linear HD's that the burbs still do not (Cooking, Reelz, DIY, etc..) so i'd look for some more shuffling in Sept/Oct....

I wouldn't be surprised to see a big splash with them adding all of the MLB Extra Innings / NBA League Pass HD channels for this fall, seeing they don't even offer the 1 main HD for either, at least here on my system.
dyhrdmet
join:2008-10-25
Springfield, NJ

dyhrdmet to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
I think they're aligning your system with others in the area. even with all that you're losing, you STILL have more premium HD than my system in NJ (Comcast of Union) has ever had.

clock
join:2007-05-02
Roslindale, MA

1 edit

clock to cypherstream

to cypherstream
It's a lot easier for Comcast to provide more lifestyle/variety channels as they own most of the ones you listed. Depending on what they pay HBO, Starz, and Shotime, for each HD channel this could save them a TON of money vs providing content they already own. That being said, I wish they would just keep the premiums and find alternate ways of bringing more linear content in.

SeattleMatt See Profile I'm not sure how Comcast mixes MPEG4 streams, but if they upconvert to MPEG2 and then do 3:1 your losing 4-6 of your open slots right there. It seems like a waste to take away that many channels, only to fill them with more "premium" content. Here's a document that shows how iNDemand is distributing in, you might be able to shed some more light on how they would do it.

»tsq.com/alerts/HD%20Spor ··· tion.pdf

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

Streetlight to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
The situation with regard to the loss of Premium HD channels has been discussed in another thread:

»Upcoming Changes

Check out that thread. Lots of forum members are upset at this situation.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to clock

Premium Member

to clock
Clock-
When I had Verizon FIOS - they took the 3 main MLB/NHL/NBA HD channels from InDemand - and converted them from MPEG4 to MPEG2. They then added 3 additional GAME HD channels this Spring - but left them in the native MPEG-4 format, and only customers w/ newer STB's could receive them.

Not sure if Comcast would go that route, but it's a very viable option.
Os
US

Os to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
Perhaps the front page reveals what they're going to do with all that bandwidth in Philly.

305Mbps capped broadband and less HD channels. Yep, that will really get them to give up their FiOS.

Spiderman865
join:2005-12-27
Joliet, IL

Spiderman865

It just contradicts what other providers are doing. Look at Bright House down in Tampa and Orlando. They keep adding HD, and yes I know that they use SDV for some channels. Comcast makes no sense.
Mgsports
join:2004-11-11
Olathe, KS

Mgsports to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
Live Well is a Digital Sub Channel and on Comcast Website shows what Channels it has a contract with. Also part of your Fryer is upside down.
RalphKramden
join:2007-01-10
Newtown, PA

RalphKramden

said by Mgsports:

Also part of your Fryer is upside down.

Sounds messy

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to SJTech

to SJTech
said by SJTech :

They are getting rid of the duplicate channels and moving everything to the 800's. The channels will still be available just not in the 200's anymore.

Just view the notice the OP attached and it clearly shows 24 HD premium channels are being removed and only 8 Premium HD channels will be left.
bohratom

bohratom to Os

to Os
said by Os:

305Mbps capped broadband and less HD channels. Yep, that will really get them to give up their FiOS.

U hit the nail right on the head, they want the extra qam256 for increased internet speed.
Os
US

Os to Spiderman865

to Spiderman865
BrightHouse Networks is the gold standard in HD channel selection.

Imagine if they made a deal to carry the remaining Starz HD, NFL Network and AXS.TV/HDNet Movies.

Outside of those, they have everything else imaginable, and MTV2 HD and TV Land HD just came on board. And they reach their numbers without any shopping channels in HD too.

The worst BrightHouse cluster lineup in Michigan has more HD than Comcast's best lineup.
iknow
Premium Member
join:2012-03-25

iknow to gate1975mlm

Premium Member

to gate1975mlm
WOW, they must be REALLY hurting for money if they have to drop 24 premium channels!!.