share rss forum feed

seagreen
Premium,Mod
join:2001-05-14
out there
reply to Telecomnet

(topic move) Initial investment for setting up ISP

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 4 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »OT Trolling

teleadmin

@as13285.net
reply to Chele

Re: Initial investment for setting up ISP

HI Chele,many thanks for your help. At this point everything will help me. I understand the question is vague and sorry about the less information.I am a management student and have just started the project and still looking for information on ISP.
thanks

teleadmin

@as13285.net
reply to OHSrob

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I am sure you will get success very soon. I really like the people who starts their own business.

Actually I am a management student and this project is part of my study. But I do understand technical things as I have almost 6 years of experience in telecom and networking. But I don't know what type of router, switched and servers will be required and approximately what will be the cost. I need to do a approximate calculation for startup cost. I have calculated the backbone, license cost and CPE cost. I don't have need to calculate Radio access network(RAN) cost, that I can get on lease. As you said you have your own ISP so you probably can help me. Please ask me if you need any detail.thanks

teleadmin

@as13285.net
reply to jim_p_price7

Thanks a lot Jim_p_prince7,

I have already done the market feasibility study and know my probable customer. At this moment I am planning three different speed options for clients, 2mbps down & 512 up, 4 down & 1 up and 8 down & 2 up. I know my competitors and have done SWOT analysis and PEST analysis.By the way I am a management student and this is a part of my study. But I understand technical things as I have worked with ISP and different telecom organisations. Hope I will get some help from professionals.
thanks

teleadmin

@as13285.net
reply to OHSrob

thanks once again OHSrob,

I have done market study and calculated the potential customers. I don't have to bother about the wireless network as the investors are planning to lease the Radio Access Network. I just have to calculate the ISP cost minus infrastructure cost. I guess if the investors can lease wireless network then they just have to think about the CPE cost, the ISP cost and bandwidth cost. Please help me if I am wrong.Also I will be thankful if you can help me with cost analysis for ISP.

thanks

teleadmin

@as13285.net
reply to TomS_

thanks a lot for your help and all the hints.they are very helpful.
By the way, I am not getting any money for this project. I am a management student and this consultancy project is part of my study.

teleadmin

@as13285.net
reply to totalaccess

Hi totalaccess, thanks for your reply. probably you got what I am looking for.
I am looking for some niche market and have found some regions where less than 10% household has got good internet. we have done some work in marketing and sales plan. I need to know the cost analysis as you know most of the investors want to know about it. I will be thankful if you can help me with start-up cost. But I don't need towers cost as we are planning to lease a wireless infrastructure. Please help me with cost analysis.thanks

public

join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

1 recommendation

reply to teleadmin

said by teleadmin :

thanks a lot for your help and all the hints.they are very helpful.
By the way, I am not getting any money for this project. I am a management student and this consultancy project is part of my study.

And the investors are getting what they pay for !!!
The wireless infrastructure is what makes a WISP a success or a failure. The management administrative overhead can be leased.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to teleadmin

said by teleadmin :

this consultancy project is part of my study.

In other words, all your questions are part of a game, not a real deployment.
Expand your moderator at work

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to teleadmin

You've got to include your infrastructure costs in some way or other. Tower companies I'm familiar with won't just rent out the tower as a percentage of your revenue.

Also, if you're in an area where broadband penetration is very limited, you'll be building your own "RAN" (by the way, that's a cellular term...this ain't cellular). If you could lease it from someone else, they've either got a significant share of the potential market or they're incompetent and you wouldn't want to lease from them anyway.

I apologize if I'm sounding rough here. However, as someone who has built a business plan for a wireless ISP in school (one-year MBA-type program, so yes I know what a SWOT analysis is)...and no, I wouldn't run an ISP off of that business plan at this point because it's out of date (things move fast in the industry when you're sitting still)...it sounds like you have some additional research to do before you ask broad questions that amount to "do my homework for me."

Got one question back at you for starters: what do you think "the ISP cost" encompasses? Put another way, what pieces of the puzzle do you think that you need? Don't be offended if someone links you to Streakwave, DoubleRadius or Baltic Networks...the vast majority of the equipment that you need for a WISP setup can be found "off the shelf" with published prices that aren't just list prices. This isn't traditional telecom where one provider (and only one) serves an area, picks a vendor soup-to-nuts and chats with a dedicated rep every time they need something.

Expand your moderator at work

WHT

Rosston, TX
reply to teleadmin

said by teleadmin :

But I don't need towers cost as we are planning to lease a wireless infrastructure.

That's similar to what cellular companies call a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) or telephone line reseller Competitive Local Exchange Carrier (CLEC). They just buy the wireless/wired service and resell it.

DaDawgs
Premium
join:2010-08-02
Deltaville, VA

1 recommendation

reply to WHT

said by WHT:

said by teleadmin :

this consultancy project is part of my study.

In other words, all your questions are part of a game, not a real deployment.

I am not convinced that his is a classroom only exercise. He never said that.
--
Once we IPv6 enable every device on the Internet we will have toasters, baby monitors, and security cameras joining the bot nets which today are populated only by idiots that can not refrain from clicking, "Yes I would like to see those titties..."

WHT

Rosston, TX

said by DaDawgs:

I am not convinced that his is a classroom only exercise. He never said that.

said by teleadmin :

That's why I suggested that.

rameshrai

join:2010-12-18
reply to teleadmin

Hi,

If you stilll need in telecom investment analysis, such as mobile network or WISP contact ektel telecommunication,....it provides wireless network consultancy producing detailed financial analysis and research..