how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

luangm

join:2012-04-03
Calgary, AB

[AB] Warning about BB100 "Unlimited" data usage HARD C

I've been with Shaw for 3 month on their BB100 account, and recently upgraded to the BB100 "Unlimited" account for $50 extra a month. Today my account got suspended due to excess usage.

I've used about 2TB so far this month which yields to about ~2MB/s @ 24x7. Which are almost entirely HTTP downloads + Netflix etc. (I don't use P2P or other services with many connections)

I just spoke with their bandwidth agent and apparently the "Unlimited" is really NOT unlimited.
I was told that in their "Term of Use", under "Bandwidth, Data storage and other limitations", my usages have fallen into the "inhibit or degrade any other customer's use of the Services" category.
Although right down the paragraph under the guidelines: "Unlimited 100, unlimited data;", it is really NOT applicable.

I sincerely apologize to my neighbors if I indeed degraded their service qualities, but I never even get close to saturate my bandwidth (used about 20 Mbps out of 100 Mbps), anybody who have any idea about bandwidth vs data argument should know that data usage has very little to do with bandwidth or traffic congestion, as long as you use little of your bandwidth.

Just to clarify bandwidth refer to speed, i.e. 20Mbps out of 100 Mbps, where as data usage are measured in GBs. Think of it as water pipes, bandwidth refer to water flowrate at any given time while data usage refer to total amount of water flown through the pipe. The pipe only congests if the entire pipe is flowing your water at any given time, but if you use little of the pipe, then even if it's on 24x7 you shouldn't congest the pipe.

Clearly, there is an undocumented "HARD CAP" on data usage (as I was cut off from internet completely rather than slowing down, as in the case of soft caps) with Shaw's $130 BB100 Unlimited option, which really translates to a theoretical 20Mbps-all-you-can-eat package for $130/month + tax.
If Shaw have publicly stated BB100 Unlimited really have a cap of 2TB/month, I think I might accept it, and regulate my usages a bit more, but the fact that my internet got cut off completely without even a phone call is disturbing. When I ask the agent why I wasn't called, she says the phone didn't work. My cell is on 24x7 and my email is in their systems, why tf they didn't try leave me a voice message or emailing me?

BTW, I'm in downtown Calgary close to Shaw Court, where their network equipments are located. Given that I'm so close to their main fiber, I'd think that my usage is least of their worries.

Buyer beware!

Anyways, switching to Teksavvy 25Mbps unlimited for $54.99 a month vs $130. Sucks have to pay activation fees and get another modem, but really don't have much other options here in Calgary.

pissonshaw

@anonymouse.org

Re: [AB] Warning about BB100 "Unlimited" data usage HA

Shaw has done this for ages, and even other isps with the "unlimited" hook line and sinker. Id like to see these isps face charges for false advertising. A flat cut off of service is total bs when you consider how intertwined the internet has become in modern life. People could be using it for banking or voip, how are you suppose to call 911 if your cut off and you have no landline or cell?

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12

1 edit
reply to luangm

@luangm - I just wanted to apologize for your services being shut off, that never should have happened. If for some reason your services are still down, please contact me with your account details and I'll get things straightened out.

After months of hiatus, we recently started contacting customers again who are going over their bandwidth allotments - If you're an unlimited customer you won't and should not receive any disruptions or phone calls regarding usage.

Hope this clears things up.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

Expand your moderator at work

Johnny82

@shawcable.net
reply to luangm

Re: [AB] Warning about BB100 "Unlimited" data usage HA

suspended with no warning?

I hope this isnt how its going to be, I got unlimited 100 in Calgary

bb147

join:2005-04-05
BC, Canada
reply to ShawSean

said by ShawSean:

After months of hiatus, we recently started contacting customers again who are going over their bandwidth allotments - If you're an unlimited customer you won't and should not receive any disruptions or phone calls regarding usage.

Cheers.

So you're saying he should've never been disconnected? I'm confused. He says Shaw cut him off for using too much bandwidth, you're saying that shouldn't have happened...

So why exactly did he get cut off? Unlimited to me is Unlimited, not 2TB.

luangm

Calgary, AB
reply to ShawSean

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the reply. Just PM'd you my account number. I called in tech support to addon the unlimited option on July 3, I believe the unlimited account became effective on July 8. I'm surprised the account is suspended 10 days later.

My internet was down from yesterday morning with the DL and UL buttons flashing. (didn't know what that means until today, it means data usage exceeded).

Called two times last night but got some excuse from the tech guy saying there is equipment problem in my area. Which turns out it's really a problem with my account.

Called in again around 8am this morning, same excuse then the guy says some other tech will call me back ASAP.

Went to work and waited till around 11:30am, nothing, so called in again and this time got routed to bandwidth protection.

Finished arguing with bandwidth protection lady at around 12:30 today. Even though she recognized that my account is Unlimited, she says I'm interfering with other people's services regardless of unlimited or not. so unless I change my usage behavior I'll get cut off in the future. She also quoted the "Term of Service" as I mentioned earlier.

She says she have turned my account back on, I'll have to check tonight when I get off work.

Again, I DO recognize my usage is very high, and the last thing I want is to interfere with others' usages.
However my usage patterns are unlikely to change much, which is why I need an unlimited ISP that knows how to handle situation like this.
I don't really care if my speed get throttled down to a crawl during peek hours, as long as I can resume during off-peak hours without being cut off.
However the lady I spoke with says it's not an option. She did suggest I open another line and another modem lol. As if THAT will not congest the traffic!

Perhaps Shaw's network is not capable of handling this, and looks like I don't have much options other than to turn to Teksavvy, as right now data is more important to me than instantaneous speed. I do hope that your internal policies can be clarified, so that others do not encounter the same problem as I do.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
reply to luangm

I double checked your account and everything should be online and working as usual when you get home.

I think there might have been some confusion since your previous months bandwidth was on a regular bb100 plan and you just upgraded this month. Regardless, everything is good to go now.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
reply to luangm

Yeah Shaw never should have shut you down.

Hers my usage since being on bb100/250 Unmetered

Month Total
Jul 2012 802.91 GB
Jun 2012 3.81 TB
May 2012 1.14 TB
Apr 2012 899.70 GB
Mar 2012 3.11 TB
Feb 2012 1.67 TB
Jan 2012 501.64 GB
Dec 2011 1.54 TB
Nov 2011 490.57 GB
Oct 2011 1.19 TB
Sep 2011 1.67 TB
Aug 2011 1.93 TB

EDIT: CLeaned up ugly table

Anonytech

@shawcable.net
reply to luangm

@luangm

To eloborate whst sean is saying, the bandwidth team took a snapshot of your high usage before your account was upgraded, saw that you were not on the unlimited option and entered your modem for suspension.

When they do the snapshot, there is a list to go through, so this is most likely why the suspension happened days later. As sean mentioned, unlimited is unlimited, and doonz can vouche for that. Appologizes for the inconvenience, i am sure if you give it a full month now at the unlimited package, You won't get shut off.

That ultimately is up to you if you want to stay on the current package, mistakes happen and in this case it seems to be an overlap between changing your plan, and the previous months usage.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit

But luangm stated, and the bandwidth team agreed with him, that he was on the unlimited package and he was suspended for high usage anyways, and still told luangm that he needs to reduce his usage on an unlimited package.

My belief is that not all the bandwidth teams are aware that they are not 'allowed' to suspend the *unlimited* accounts for high usage, when the terms of use state unlimited transfer.

My hope is with this 'error' that Sean is able to both confirm if unlimited means unlimited, and if it does, to communicate this to all the bandwidth teams.

As far as I know, the suspension of accounts, is done manually for bandwith reasons, not an automated script.

--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

luangm

Calgary, AB
reply to luangm

Hey guys, just giving an update. Internet back online yay.

I understand there might have been errors in the system as snapshots taken shows I'm over the limit, which is perfectly understandable.

I'm even OK when my account got suspended due to over usage, either manually or automatically. Again, understandable.

What I couldn't stand is the fact that when I was speaking with the bandwidth rep lady today, who has *acknowledged* that I was in fact on the unlimited package but still insisted that I was violating the terms by pointing out the exact terms on the internet. Also about the comment that If I want more bandwidth I need to get *two* lines with two modems. lol

So ya, glad things have cleared up, perhaps I was just very unlucky. But perhaps Shaw should clarify with the bandwidth team regarding the unlimited accounts. This isn't new, its been there for a few month already. Where is their Policies and Procedures manual?

Anyways, enough ranting for today, hope this will never happen to me or anyone else on BB100 unlimited again.

Cheers,

Johnny82

@shawcable.net
reply to Doonz

I want 250mbit in Calgary unlimited :/

spectrum

join:2011-01-14
reply to Anonytech

I thought the entire point of the Shaw "bump-up" program is supposed to avoid stuff like this.

‡When you subscribe to one of our Broadband Internet packages, you will be opting into the Bump-Up Program. If you exceed your package’s included data, you will automatically be bumped up to the next level of Broadband Internet package for the remainder of your billing cycle. Once your new billing cycle begins, you will return to your original Internet package and your data will be reset to zero. The first time your included data is exceeded, you will receive one month’s grace and won’t be bumped up to the next tier. The Bump-Up Program will take effect February 2012.

ErikRP

join:2004-11-06
Winnipeg, MB

That's all well and good, provided there is a higher tier. OP had Unlimited 100, which is the highest tier, assuming the 250 tiers aren't available in his area.

spectrum

join:2011-01-14

I'm arguing the point that Anonytech brought up, which was "To eloborate whst sean is saying, the bandwidth team took a snapshot of your high usage before your account was upgraded" -- I'm saying that this shouldn't have happened -- assuming their system is being implemented correctly, that is.

pkarlos_76

join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB
reply to ShawSean

said by ShawSean:

@luangm - I just wanted to apologize for your services being shut off, that never should have happened. If for some reason your services are still down, please contact me with your account details and I'll get things straightened out.

Cheers.

I would prefer to see a formal apology in writing on the Shaw Website that we can point the severely uninformed terms of use department should they ever call a unlimited customer again. And I certainly hope a strongly worded memo is sent out to that department about terminating unlimited customers services. If I were the customer I would expect compensation and a formal apology from the head of that department as well. False advertising is a serious offense and could land Shaw in a heap of trouble with several government and non government agencies.

pkarlos_76

Edmonton, AB
reply to ShawSean

said by ShawSean:

I double checked your account and everything should be online and working as usual when you get home.

I think there might have been some confusion since your previous months bandwidth was on a regular bb100 plan and you just upgraded this month. Regardless, everything is good to go now.

Cheers.

The lady in that department is still quoting TERMS of use and threatening to shut him off in the future even though he has unlimited according to this guys latest post.

pkarlos_76

Edmonton, AB
reply to spectrum

said by spectrum:

I thought the entire point of the Shaw "bump-up" program is supposed to avoid stuff like this.

‡When you subscribe to one of our Broadband Internet packages, you will be opting into the Bump-Up Program. If you exceed your package’s included data, you will automatically be bumped up to the next level of Broadband Internet package for the remainder of your billing cycle. Once your new billing cycle begins, you will return to your original Internet package and your data will be reset to zero. The first time your included data is exceeded, you will receive one month’s grace and won’t be bumped up to the next tier. The Bump-Up Program will take effect February 2012.

Agreed and I will stand with my comrades in anger over this arrogant pompus department who calls honest people making honest mistakes and liars. They did this to me 10 years ago and I still remember it regarding a Apache Web Intro page that was auto enabled and setup when I installed a linux distro and accused me of running a website off my personal service because of a stupid apache intro web index page. Terminated my service for 7 days back then, I honestly thought this department went the way of the dodo birds with the changes at shaw.

AnonyTech

@shawcable.net
reply to spectrum

I am not sure if the bump up program is in effect now. I know initially it was supposed to be in place sometime in 2012. Maybe sean can comment on that.

This specific problem seems to be a miscommunication with the aup bandwidth depatment and luangm, specifically with policy's in place for unlimited accounts. I am sure sean will get have an internal discussion about what happened. Usually suspensions don't happen immidiately. Attempts are made to contact the customer first to discuss aup related issues, and if muliple attempts fail, that is when a suspension happens. The OP didn't mention if the aup department made attempts to contact him. Would be good to know for clarification purposes.

Expand your moderator at work