spc
uniqs
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish

Re: Garage addition

said by guppy_fish:

You have now two licensed and certified engineers opinions/plans on whats needed, I would take that over any GC or foundation grunts thoughts on what is "needed"

They have a single engineer's opinion and plans. The SAME engineer changed the original plans.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

said by Critsmcgee:

said by guppy_fish:

You have now two licensed and certified engineers opinions/plans on whats needed, I would take that over any GC or foundation grunts thoughts on what is "needed"

They have a single engineer's opinion and plans. The SAME engineer changed the original plans.

Well there was one before that got canned, then the current PE picked up and completed and now has made a second revision. Since the OP indicated that he sat down with the architect and got everything set before any of this foundation drama started, that sounded like two PE's have been involved so far.

I'll get some extra pop-corn when I go shopping this week, this is not even in the first inning and its better to watch then be the one in the middle ( again posting nanny's, from experience )
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee

said by guppy_fish:

said by Critsmcgee:

said by guppy_fish:

Well there was one before that got canned, then the current PE picked up and completed and now has made a second revision. Since the OP indicated that he sat down with the architect and got everything set before any of this foundation drama started, that sounded like two PE's have been involved so far.

I'll get some extra pop-corn when I go shopping this week, this is not even in the first inning and its better to watch then be the one in the middle ( again posting nanny's, from experience )

You mean the one that never did anything and was fired? I guess it counts as a score if you get to first or second base now? *popcorn is in hand right now*

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

First engineer got canned because he didn't provide anything given 3 weeks to do so. The second engineer started from scratch. The initial foundation stuff was designed by the architect based on a typical foundation for a starting point. If two engineers said the same thing it would be silly to get a third. If you only have one person and everyone else thinks there's something wrong most likely there's something wrong.

After digging into the issue more the second engineer admitted he designed the foundation for the 'worst possible' scenario. He didn't check or even look at the soil. He didn't talk to the city to about it to see what other places in the area have for soil conditions. He just ASSumed and build the "Hoover dam" to cover his own ass. He said once we know the soil conditions he can revise his foundation accordingly if we use his drawings. If the soil is good he'll scale it back to what we originally expected it to be. At least the city and building inspector are getting a good laugh at this. The building inspector said that they've never seen such an OVERBUILT foundation before.