Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON
reply to Eunectesboy

Re: Cogeco buying Atlantic Broadband

Atlantic already has caps right? So what's the worst Cogeco can do???

Never mind, don't answer that.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

said by Dones:

Never mind, don't answer that.

Good call!

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
reply to Dones

Nope, no caps at ABB. Explicitly in the TOS and AUP.

And we just got D3 speeds. We have 40/3 as a max here for $69.99 with no caps right now.

South Florida has 75/5 for the same price, and a 110/5 tier.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

Well if Cogeco's operations in Ontario are any indication, expect that all to turn to shit.

robman50

join:2010-12-14

What would this mean for us up in Ontario? Higher bills or lower bills? Or more stuff for us or less stuff? Or not a darn thing?

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Os

said by Os:

Both can be adjusted at will, and I'm betting Cogeco is salivating at the chance to bring UBB to the market.
--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

Os

join:2011-01-26
US

Oh, I'm sure. I'm just stating how it is now, and how it seems we're going to pay for it dearly now in having it far better than many did in the last couple years.

The question I'm asking isn't "what?" or "why?", but "when?" and "how bad?"

cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently

join:2011-04-19
Hamilton, ON
reply to robman50

said by Gone:

Portugal all over again.

Yeah, I can totally see that. I should really look into teksavvy again.

said by robman50:

What would this mean for us up in Ontario? Higher bills or lower bills? Or more stuff for us or less stuff? Or not a darn thing?

They raise their rates twice a year, and give us less service to go with it... so not really anything new... we're still getting screwed, and we'll continue to be screwed.
--
Myth: It's only fair to pay for quality first-run movies.
Fact: Most movies shown on cable get two stars or less
and are repeated ad nauseum.

diskdocx

join:2005-09-26
Burlington, ON
reply to Os

said by Os:

And we just got D3 speeds. We have 40/3 as a max here for $69.99 with no caps right now.

South Florida has 75/5 for the same price, and a 110/5 tier.

TOS and AUP can be changed at any time with appropriate notice (typically 30 days, give or take). I am sure Cogeco would not have bought the network if they couldn't impose the necessary measures to ensure you get the most out of you cable experience....

Considering that Comcast gets flak for 250 gig caps, I wonder how well Cogeco's caps will go over?

The closest equivalent in Cogeco's current offerings would be 30/1.5 with a 175 gig cap for just over $70/mo (no counting any bundle discounts, if available)

Bottom line, you will not have unlimited for much longer. The highest transfer Cogeco allows is 250 gigs, but that will cost upwards of $100 per month.

Course, we will probably subsidize your pricing if there is any competition.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to robman50

said by robman50:

When it all goes south, you'll be paying a "We screwed up in buying Atlantic Broadband and lost our shirts recovery fee".
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

diskdocx

join:2005-09-26
Burlington, ON

said by elwoodblues:

said by robman50:

When it all goes south, you'll be paying a "We screwed up in buying Atlantic Broadband and lost our shirts recovery fee".

They already lost their shirts in Portugal last year. Perhaps pants this time...