spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DDR4040
join:2006-12-25
Maple Shade, NJ

DDR4040

Comcast routing puts me in the wrong DMA

I just fired up the ESPN app on my Xbox to watch the Mets game. Unfortunately, I got a notice that the game was blacked out in my area. I live in NJ, about 5 miles east of Philadelphia, so I am definitely located in the Philly DMA. The Mets game should only be blacked out in the NY DMA.

I normally would think the problem was with ESPN or Microsoft, but I think Comcast is at fault this time. I had a free weekend preview of MLB.TV back in May and had problems getting both Yankee and Mets games. I didn't think to check the Phillies games since I assumed they would be blacked out. I did have the MLB.TV package last year, and everything was fine. Philly DMA was blacked out, everything else was open.Around the same time, I also noticed that I was getting weird targeted ads on some of the websites I visited. Goofy stuff, like "Meet girls from Orange NJ". Orange NJ is over an hour away from here in North Jersey. I figured something was up with my IP address, so I ran a quick check on one of those lookup sites.

It turns out, my IP address is showing up as being located in North Jersey. 210 Olean Ave Jersey City, NJ 07306 to be exact. That is located over 78 miles from my current location.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this situation and have my IP address routed through a more local system? I will most likely post this over in the Direct Forum, but I wanted to check here first to see if anyone had any thoughts on the subject.

I know there are ways to setup a proxy server to spoof my IP location, but I looked into last year when I had the MLB package and it was more trouble than it was worth. If that is my only option, I will just do without.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

If your router will allow you to change its WAN interface MAC address, then try that. You'll get a new IP, perhaps one that meets your needs.
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

nysports4evr to DDR4040

Premium Member

to DDR4040
If you're still getting blacked out incorrectly after getting the new IP, try calling 888-549-ESPN and reporting the error.