uniqs
share rss forum feed

cmfarmer53

join:2012-07-18
Wellford, SC

1 edit

Att U verse 18mbps

Hello to everyone, im in need of some help here

We just upgrade from 12mbps to 18mbps. My speed test from speedtest.net shows an average or 4 mbps and testmy.net shows an average of 3 mbps. Att is telling me to run my speed test from att.com/speedtest but i believe their test is bias because it shows 18-19 mbps every test.

I am on wifi both my desktop and laptop and i can understand being short a few mbps but not being short 13mbps

I will try a speed test with a wired connection later and post back results as soon as possible.

Is there any test or tools that will aid in helping someone diagnosis this problem or fix it?

thanks in advance

EDIT* Just ran 5 test from speedtest.net and testmy.net each on a wired connection and getting only 12 mbps average not 18mbps

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9

Do you have U-Verse IPTV service?

Which modem do you have?

cmfarmer53

Wellford, SC

what is iptv? if that is tv service with u verse then yes i do

also its a 2 wire i38hg

snoopy369

join:2004-09-05
Chicago, IL
reply to cmfarmer53

Technically speaking you're complaining it's biased because it returns the results you don't agree with, which is rather a bias on your part isn't it?

You need to get a direct connection to your router before running tests, for one. WiFi is theoretically 54Mbps but depending on conditions could easily reduce to 3 or 4 Mbps.

IPTV is television over IP, which is what UVerse is. See »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPTV

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
reply to cmfarmer53

On a Windows machine, download & install the U-Verse Realtime program, and post screenshots of the main, error table, hpna, and bits loading charts

cmfarmer53

Wellford, SC
reply to cmfarmer53

im not being bias towards att speed test because its not showing me the reseults i want, im complaining being its false..its odd how i can run 2 different speed test with 4-5 mbps down when i should be near 18mbps, granted im on wifi. my att phone on 3g shows 17mbps on att speedtest...and its not even on my wifi

ilpt4u, i will try that program and post my results, thank you for your info

dlathem
Premium
join:2000-08-11
Birmingham, AL
reply to cmfarmer53

The first 2wire 3800 installed went wifi whacky after the first day. My download speed was 12Mbs, but when it went wacky it never got faster than 3Mbs using the wifi....a direct connect by CAT5e gave me the usual 11.5. Wifi was wacked...they replaced the gateway and all has been great.

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to cmfarmer53

Have you rebooted the modem? Are you close to the modem when you do a speedtest via wifi? Did you try any other servers on Speedtest?

I've seen the speed not actually increase until rebooting the RG after upgrading before.

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2
reply to cmfarmer53

Wouldn't hurt to check the status of the order to make sure it completed, by logging into your account at ATT.com.

cmfarmer53

Wellford, SC
reply to cmfarmer53

thanks for all the helpful tips, im about 2 feet from the 2 wire when i ran the speed test, i shall reboot (hopefully doesnt mess with my alarm) and try another speed test....if possible i will call att and get them to come out and replace the gateway

Althlon

@sbcglobal.net
reply to cmfarmer53

I have just the reverse result on my 12mbps connection.

Whenever I test using the AT&T site my speeds are lower than when I use Towerstream or Speedtest.net.

I suppose some of that could be the location of the test server but otherwise I don't know why.

And I had similar results when I was on AT&T DSL.

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
reply to cmfarmer53

Charter's speed tests are higher, too, but there's a reason for that as it was explained to me a couple of years ago. I wish I could recall what it was but there are technical reasons why speedtest.net and others will report incorrect speeds and you have to use Charter or ATT's to get correct results.

cmfarmer53

Wellford, SC

i've tested on charters speed test 5 times, the first time with a ping of 600+ i've gotten 5 mbps and the other 4 was about 400-500 ping at .45-1.2 mbps down ugh! lol...im going to download that tool that someone mention and post screen shots in about an hour.

thank you all for you help with this

cmfarmer53

Wellford, SC
reply to cmfarmer53

Click for full size
Main
Click for full size
error table
Click for full size
coax hpna
Click for full size
bitloading
here are the screenshots from uv realtime

cmfarmer53

Wellford, SC
reply to cmfarmer53

anyone have any idea?

nccabletech

@173.246.219.x

Never use testmy.net its always slow... for accurate results use speedtest.net and use multiple servers around your location

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Click for full size
Never heard of that site before, but for me it actually shows slightly higher speed than speedtest.net. (I'm also on the 18Mb tier)

UverseTech

join:2012-08-04
reply to cmfarmer53

You could possibly have a wiring issue, if the install tech used coax to feed the gateway, you have been downgraded. Coax is pure crap when it come to uverse it is a rf interference magnet, and has latency issues on both the internet and tv service.

As a test for my customers i prove this by connecting their dvr directly with a 100 ft ethernet cable i keep specifically for this example. They are amazed at the response time on their dvr and usually have me run a new cat5 line for a charge or do it themselves.

cmfarmer53

Wellford, SC

by coax to the gateway do u mean the coax cable that cable tv is used for? i only have a phone line running to the i38 gateway, i did change the phone line to a new one and things seem to be running better.

UverseTech

should have been more specific. the vdsl can be fed coax or twisted pair. if the green port on the gateway has a data cable/cat5 in it is fed twisted pair and this is optimal.

UverseTech

reply to cmfarmer53

if it is fed twisted pair then it is the wiring itself, prob needs new homerun to the nid.