uniqs

dmolavi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-11
Cherry Hill, NJ

dmolavi to JTS33

Premium Member

to JTS33

Re: Upgraded to 75/35 - how to get newer FiOS router?

I was thinking the same thing w/ my 50/25 package...The limits of 802.11G is capping me around 24/24, but if I hardwire to the router, I'm getting what I pay for.

That being said, if you aren't using FiOS tv, I'd get a 3rd party router like the Asus RT-N66U (and switch to Cat6A from the ONT to your router). That's my plan. It's more expensive than the VZ router, but it has extra features that I want.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by dmolavi:

... and switch to Cat6A from the ONT to your router ...

That won't improve anything. CAT5e is more than sufficient.

dmolavi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-11
Cherry Hill, NJ

dmolavi

Premium Member

I wasn't aiming to improve performance (though 10GBASE-T would be nice, 'cept the ONT doesn't do it ). I used Cat6A because of the improved reduction in crosstalk and noise reduction (a portion of the run is in an electromagnetically noisy environment).

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

1 edit

aaronwt to dmolavi

Premium Member

to dmolavi
said by dmolavi:

I was thinking the same thing w/ my 50/25 package...The limits of 802.11G is capping me around 24/24, but if I hardwire to the router, I'm getting what I pay for.

That being said, if you aren't using FiOS tv, I'd get a 3rd party router like the Asus RT-N66U (and switch to Cat6A from the ONT to your router). That's my plan. It's more expensive than the VZ router, but it has extra features that I want.

Or try the RT-N56U. Much cheaper and extremely fast too. I just set one up this weekend to replace my aging Dlink DGL4500 router. No issues hitting extremely fast speeds over wireless(although I didn't have issues with my DGL4500 either)

The RT-N56U is working great over wireless and wired for me with my 60+ devices.

I've been using Cat5e for gigabit LAN for eleven years now. Around twenty feet of the ONT Cat5e cable and several LAN Cat5e cables run by the main electrical feeds for the building as well as the electrical feeds for several heat pumps. It has never caused me any issues during the five years I've had FIOS or the eleven years my local LAN has been running gigabit.

And when I tested the Cat5e cable with our $10K cable Analyzer from work, there were no issues either.

I'm also hoping FiOS sends me this new router before the tech arrives saturday for my 150/65 install.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

Why do you think Verizon will spend money to ship you a router when the techs have them on the truck?
whsbuss
join:2007-08-10
Norristown, PA

whsbuss

Well I would wait..... 802.11ac is already out and new PCs/Mac will be incorporating the new Broadcom chips. 10% faster the 802.11n