uniqs
share rss forum feed

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

[ONT] Cat 5 needed?

I have had FIOS since Jan 2008. When looking at the router stats last night, I noticed that I have a Rev D Actiontec. I currently have 50/25, but am contemplating the move to 75/50, as long as they do not extend my contract period.

I also noticed that the router is showing DHCP. I am assuming that this means I am using MOCA as there is not a Cat 5 connection to the router with the exception of my house cabling (house was prewired for network and FIOS with Cat 5e). However, there is a Cat 5 cable running into the ONT (I have not opened it to look to see if it is active., but will do that tomorrow.)

Is the network cable being used from the ONT? I am contemplating adding a POE camera to the outside, but I need a network connection. I am thinking about stealing this one. I cannot find anything in the FAQ. This is a fourplex condo unit and the ONT is not adjacent to my unit, but was directly wired to the placement of the ONT, cable and telco demarcs.

I appreciate any input.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31

said by stevek1949:

I also noticed that the router is showing DHCP. I am assuming that this means I am using MOCA

There is no relation between DHCP and whether your WAN connection is MOCA.
said by stevek1949:

there is not a Cat 5 connection to the router with the exception of my house cabling (house was prewired for network and FIOS with Cat 5e). However, there is a Cat 5 cable running into the ONT

I'm not clear what you're trying to say. Either there is a cat5 connection between the ONT and your router's WAN port, or there is not. The main status page of the router will tell you if you're on ethernet (cat5) or coax (MOCA).
said by stevek1949:

I am contemplating adding a POE camera to the outside, but I need a network connection. I am thinking about stealing this one.

Also not clear what you're suggesting here. Stealing the exterior cat5 cable would be okay if you have a coax WAN connection.

If you're talking about converting the WAN port into a 5th LAN port, no you can't do that. Buy a switch.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

stevek1949
Premium
Virginia Beach, VA

Thanks for the info. I do not currently use all four LAN ports and would have to use a POE injector for a POE camera. I will check to see if the router shows COAX or Cat 5. There is nothing plugged into the WAN port, so I am assuming it is MOCA (I know what ASSUME means, but I will check to be sure).

I use a 10/100 switch at the mancave end for multiple CPUs and multiple printers. I generally use the wireless for my laptop. There are only two of us in the house, so usage is in the norm. No torrents or servers.

I am thinking about using the Cat5 run for the camera if it is available and not being used. I do not have the ability to add a second run to the area that I need the camera.

When they installed the ONT, they terminated and connected the CAT 5 at the ONT, but I will have to open the structured cabling cabinet to see if it is terminated anywhere. The LAN ports on the Actiontec are directly connected to the jacks for the various rooms, only 2 at this time. There is nothing in the WAN port.

Whoever installed the structured cabling panel, only used it for telephone and cable, but they installed two cable connections in each room. The Actiontec is connected to the structured panel thouugh a coax splitter in the panel. I remember this as the installed had to replace the splitter with a larger one.

The CAT 5 connections in each room are connected directly to CAT 5 keystone jacks above the wiring panel, bypassing the panel.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2

If the cat5 is not plugged into the WAN port of your router , you are on Moca. From what Ive heard, Moca will be fine for 75 service.

FFJOHNL312
Premium
join:2007-12-16
Pawtucket, RI

VZ policy is/was that services rated at 100Mbps and above have to be provisioned on CAT5e.

jp16

join:2010-05-04
united state
reply to stevek1949

Are you sure that the piece of cat5 is connected to the ethernet port and not one of the phone ports? I can see the tech using a piece of cat5 as the jumper for the telephone service as it goes into, what sounds like a distribution panel.

stevek1949
Premium
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to stevek1949

Looks like MOCA all the way. Gotta check the Cat 5 cable now.

lijacobs

join:2010-07-30
Lawrence, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to stevek1949

said by stevek1949:

I am thinking about using the Cat5 run for the camera if it is available and not being used. I do not have the ability to add a second run to the area that I need the camera.

100 Mb/s ethernet uses only 4 of the 8 cat5 conductors. Gigabit ethernet uses all 8 conductors. If you don't plan on using gigabit ethernet you can purchase breakout splitters from Monoprice that will allow you to establish 2 ethernet connections over one cat 5 cable.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
reply to stevek1949

If you bump up our Internet speed your contract is going to be extended.

stevek1949
Premium
Virginia Beach, VA

said by kes601:

If you bump up our Internet speed your contract is going to be extended.

Well, that's not gonna happen. I am fine with the 35/35.

The Cat5e is not connected at the house end, so it is available. It seems that the structured wiring cabinet is cabled for telephone and cable only. The lan cabling doesn't even go in to it.