spc
uniqs

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain to DarkLogix

to DarkLogix

Re: In need of an upgrade, requesting advice and suggestions.

Naw, that's the list.

Sorry I didn't respond, I was talking to a buddy about what I could do differently.

He's convincing me to ditch the SSD. His reasoning is that my concern isn't how fast my screens load, but how well my rig performs in game. Which is a very valid point.

He also made the suggestion that I upgrade only my GPU at first to see if that would give me the performance I want...but I'm pretty sure that if I upgraded GPU/PSUs that the rest of my machine would only hold things back. So I'm thinking that I should go with GPU/PSU/CPU/MOBO upgrades all at once.

Anyway, if you could take a look at things, Kris, it'd be much appreciated.

The products I have linked are arbitrary for price reference. The only thing I will potentially buy that's not brand new is the video card. Unless you guys tell me a refurb is a bad idea.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

I'm not to familure with AMD cpu's.

Though the card in your system is likely the limiting point though I would bet that a GTX570 would make the CPU the limiting point.

For SSD v HDD it really comes down to if the speed in loading is worth it to you.

In wow you'll zone in faster (while others are setting on a load screen) but after its loaded wow doesn't seem to do much IO till a load screen.

For the CPU I'd look to an ivybridge because it is newer and I know I'd want a system to be as current as is reasonable.

I think I'd take the easy route and first do the video card and power supply (making sure they'll fit your current case.)

then if the performance is still in need of improvment get the rest.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

I don't mind upgrading my GPU/PSU first if that is going to give me the best bang for my buck. But if the performance to cost ratio would be higher if I upgrade more than that then I am ok with that too. I just don't want to buy x component for it to lead to me having to buy y component in order to have proper synergy, then find out I need z component as well to make it work the best.

I'd rather do it all at once and get the best performance/cost ratio I can. By no means do I need a setup like Swifty's, but I want to run WoW on ultra and get above average FPS in Orgrimmar.

The card I 'want' is the GTX570, but according to nVidia's performance chart, the GTX560ti and GTX480 both perform similarly...so I guess those three are my cards of choice and I'd be willing to accept any one in the setup that will yield the best performance for the lowest overall cost.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Well the video card and CPU are the largest ones (cost wise) in the list.

and with the gt 220 (an economy or entery level card) to a GTX570 (one step from the top single GPU in its line) should be far more powerful.

btw I currently have a GTX570 in my 1366 system and I'm genrally at or near 60fps in SW (depending on whats going on)

well GPU+PS=$340 (less than half the total cost)
while you might not get everything the card has to offer with the current computer if its unsatesfactory then you could easily but the rest.

and as you already have a harddrive I'd look at how much you would value the boost in load times.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

1 edit

McBrain

From what I am reading any of the three cards mentioned will bottleneck pretty bad with my current CPU. So it looks like I am searching for a CPU along with GPU/PSU. I don't mind having an AMD if I can save some bills I guess, since buying an Intel CPU will mandate a new mobo as well.

Looks like I'm gonna go with the GTX480 and the 600w PSU listed above, thoughts?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

IIRC the GTX400's were a bit power hungery, thus why I waited on the 500's

currently the price per performance favors intel.

Well I wouldn't go cheap on the power supply, you'll want to be sure you get a good quality one, because a faulty one can cause all kinds of issues that aren't clear at first to be the fault of the power supply.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

Yeah, the GTX480 and a new CPU will require AT LEAST a 650w PSU.

According to the nVidia site, the GTX480 definitely outperforms the 560ti - and by a decent amount, but at a cost of 100 more watts. But, I can get a brand new GTX480 on newegg for 20 bucks less than a refurbished 560ti.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

if your interested I do have a GTX260 sitting in a box.
It was replaced with the GTX570 because I had been waiting on the 500 line.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

I built an AMD rig on newegg a few minutes ago, I can add links later when I'm at home. The same components as the $815 Intel rig I put together were $550. I know Intel out performs AMD right now, and the Phenom II x4 quad core CPU and GTX480 GPU aren't brand new. But if I can achieve the performance I want for $250 less, then I'm all for it. And it's not like I expect unreasonable performance, I'm looking for +60 FPS in Orgrimmar and no lag in D3...that's it.

You guys think the Phenom II x4 quad core 3.4GHz, GTX480, 650w PSU and 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1600 RAM is enough to do this, or am I going to be pigeon holed into an Ivy Bridge, Z77, GTX500 series in order to get what I want out of my rig?
demir
Premium Member
join:2010-07-15
usa

demir to McBrain

Premium Member

to McBrain
said by McBrain:

Naw, that's the list.

Sorry I didn't respond, I was talking to a buddy about what I could do differently.

He's convincing me to ditch the SSD. His reasoning is that my concern isn't how fast my screens load, but how well my rig performs in game. Which is a very valid point.

He also made the suggestion that I upgrade only my GPU at first to see if that would give me the performance I want...but I'm pretty sure that if I upgraded GPU/PSUs that the rest of my machine would only hold things back. So I'm thinking that I should go with GPU/PSU/CPU/MOBO upgrades all at once.

Anyway, if you could take a look at things, Kris, it'd be much appreciated.

The products I have linked are arbitrary for price reference. The only thing I will potentially buy that's not brand new is the video card. Unless you guys tell me a refurb is a bad idea.

In my opinion, your buddy NAILED it. For a gamer on a budget, the SSD is the first thing I'd ditch to save cash.

Put any extra $ into the video card until you can't spend anymore or until you have the best card possible. If you have enough after that, then purchase the SSD.

Kris already suggested the mid range CPU -- which I also think is a good idea --- get an i5 if you can.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

Yeah, I've since ditched the SSD...maybe it'll be a birthday gift to myself or something later this fall.

Going with CPU/Mobo/RAM/GPU/PSU for now. I'd like to stay under $600 if I could, like I said, I'm learning all this as I go and am trying to avoid getting hosed because of lack of knowledge.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

FWIW there is an Agility 3 120 GB SSD on Shellshocker now for $70.

»www.newegg.com/Special/S ··· 232012_1

Have you told us what your budget is again? Because I am confused that you initially said $800 and now want it down around $475...

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

Well, I started at $800. Then realized that I WANT a SSD, but I don't NEED one.

So, the budget is $600 as of now. I've come up with a few different builds that come in under that, so I'm pretty sure I can get what I need with $600.

The $475 was basically seeing what the cheapest I could put an Itel system together for.

Regardless what CPU I chose, I am fully expecting $550+...Intel will be a little more I'm sure, but I probably won't overclock it, where I would definitely be overclocking the AMD.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

If you are sure you aren't going to OC then get one of the non-K CPU's.

At this price I'd still grab one of those SSDs.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

I'll OC if I've got to. I mean if I can get what I want to get out of a non-K series CPU, then I'll have no need to. But if I can't then I don't mind upgrading to a K and overclocking to get the performance I want, 60 FPS on Ultra settings. If I can get those framerates with an AMD, then I'd go that route, as it is the cheaper of the two companies. Basically I want the best bang for my buck, 60 FPS on Ultra. Anything in excess of that will be wasted money because I don't edit or anything else like that.

I'm just sick of fluctuating between 20-40 FPS on settings between "Fair" and "Good", you know? And in order to get the performance I get now I turn off sunshafts, particle density is on low, use 4x antriscopic or whatever, low view distance, low ground clutter, etc. I know wow is cartoony, but the way I play it currently, it's worse than my kid's comics...and he mostly reads Smurfs.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Any of the Ivy Bridge i5's will easily max out on ultra.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

said by Krisnatharok:

Any of the Ivy Bridge i5's will easily max out on ultra.

Right, but would an OC'ed Phenom II?

I've been catching som heat from the old lady about a "new computer" even though she has no idea of the specifics, including price. Hence why my budget has declined slightly. Without saying I want a "budget build", I want just about what the minimum is to run on max settings. I'm not too concerned with "future proofing" orwhatever, it's computer, and I'll need another one soon enough no matter what get.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

An OC'd Phenom II should perform on par with the newest i3's, if what I have been reading about gaming CPUs is correct. If you are willing to OC the Phenom, it's a toss-up between that and the i3's, although any i5 is a clear winner with quad Intel cores.

Remember CPU architecture is way more important than clock-speed or number of cores (except at extremes). Intel beats the pants of AMD in that department, regardless of GHz.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

Since you put it that way, it definitely sounds like an i5 CPU/Mobo combo from Micro Center will be the best bang for the buck. Surely I can get a good processor and Mobo combo for around $250. That leaves me ~$350 for GPU, PSU, and ram. I'm happy with that. I'll probably end up going with a Radeon 6870 GPU and a 450-500w power supply. I like the performance of nVidia GPUs, but after researching them, they absolutely suck tons and tons of power.

I'm using my phone to post this, I'm waiting to pick up the wife from surgery, so I can't really do much research and link posting. But this is what I'm thinking right now; i5 Ivy Bridge (3750K), decent Mobo (prefer ASUS, don't need Crossfire), 450-500w 80 Plus Bronze PSU, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD 6870 GPU. All for around $550. I'm going to end up getting a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ pretty soon(like this week) so I'm dropping fan off the list as far as budgeting is concerned.

People at real computers can you linky for me? I have a buddy in Norfolk, so I'm tentatively open to a CPU/Mobo bundle from Micro Center.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

1 edit

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by McBrain:

Since you put it that way, it definitely sounds like an i5 CPU/Mobo combo from Micro Center will be the best bang for the buck. Surely I can get a good processor and Mobo combo for around $250. That leaves me ~$350 for GPU, PSU, and ram. I'm happy with that. I'll probably end up going with a Radeon 6870 GPU and a 450-500w power supply. I like the performance of nVidia GPUs, but after researching them, they absolutely suck tons and tons of power.

I'm using my phone to post this, I'm waiting to pick up the wife from surgery, so I can't really do much research and link posting. But this is what I'm thinking right now; i5 Ivy Bridge (3750K), decent Mobo (prefer ASUS, don't need Crossfire), 450-500w 80 Plus Bronze PSU, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD 6870 GPU. All for around $550. I'm going to end up getting a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ pretty soon(like this week) so I'm dropping fan off the list as far as budgeting is concerned.

People at real computers can you linky for me? I have a buddy in Norfolk, so I'm tentatively open to a CPU/Mobo bundle from Micro Center.

McBrain, make sure that Coolermaster Hyper 212 will fit your case and not block your 4th slot of RAM. Some setups will require low profile RAM also.

That cooler is absolutely massive. Even the mid tower case I just ordered, you cannot run a Hyper 212 without removing the side fan. That's why I opted to stick with my TX3 92mm instead. Just a tad bit smaller and no worries about blocking my RAM slots.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

The 212 is real slick in that the metal retainers that hold the fan to the heatsink are easily movable. I just build an 990X + Phenom II X6 + Hyper 212 + 4 ram dimms in a HAF 912, and just pushed up the fan on the 21 by about half an inch. The ram slots would have to be another inch closer to the CPU socket to be a real issue.
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok to McBrain

Premium Member

to McBrain
The GPUs nowadays use about the same amount of power AFAIK. Don't let that be the deciding factor.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

Touché. What is the nVidia equivalent of the 6870? somewhere around a GTX 550? If that's the case I should go with a 560ti to ease my power concerns, right?

I think I may just be getting cold feet about making a decision on what combo of parts to buy. A lot of variables make me not confident in making a good decision. I probably would be 100% satisfied with any of the potential builds I've made, I'm just letting the minute details bug me out.

It'd be easier if I didn't live in bum-fuck redneckville. There isn't a computer store in my town, and the closest "reputable" place is Best Buy, an hour away. They do have price matching, but it doesn't include bundling and can only be used on items at "local" retailers, and I'm pretty sure Micro Center in Fairfax isn't local.