uniqs

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Struggling?? Except for Frontier - not true

The majority of ISPs are meeting their advertised goals. The headline doesn't reflect the reality. The only ISP still needing much improvement is Frontier. The rest are delivering what they promise to their customers.
quote:
The first report noted that most ISPs delivered actual download speeds within 80 percent of advertised speeds. This year, the report found that most ISPs delivered speeds within 90 percent of advertised speeds
Does that sound like struggling? Looks more like quickly improving.

Ut98Ex
join:2012-07-11
Georgetown, TX

Ut98Ex

Dang, are you sure you don't work in the Romney campaign? That is some professional spin right there.

Mojo 77
@apexcovantage.com

Mojo 77 to FFH5

Anon

to FFH5
How about you actually read the report before you mindlessly jump to the defense of your favorite corporations, Mitt? The report clearly shows ISPs are struggling at peak times to deliver advertised speeds. Particularly DSL providers.

There's improvement thanks to naming and shaming, but overall the report notes that just 4 of 14 ISPs actually deliver what they say they deliver. You have shit standards if you think thats "delivering what they promise to their customers."

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221

80% of "max advertised" isn't really struggling. My speedometer goes to 160MPH but I doubt my car can even do 80MPH.

I'd rather have 50% of a 10 mbit segment than 150% of a 1 mbit link.

coldmoon
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
Fulton, NY

coldmoon

Premium Member

said by Eagles1221:

80% of "max advertised" isn't really struggling. My speedometer goes to 160MPH but I doubt my car can even do 80MPH.

That is a straw man argument. Failure is failure whether you are 1 foot or 1 mile from your goal...

Mojo 77
@speakeasy.net

Mojo 77

Anon

Seriously, is in any wonder the U.S. has some of the most expensive broadband anywhere and we still struggle to connect many places if some of this website's regulars are any example of the public thought process?

A report clearly shows ISPs are still failing to provide advertised speeds, and you've got people here who either deny the data or whose first thought is "golly I think failing to deliver what they promise isn't really considered struggling."

Where are all the smart and empathic people at this website hiding?
Mojo 77

Mojo 77 to Eagles1221

Anon

to Eagles1221
Again, just FOUR of FOURTEEN ISPs are capable of delivering speeds they PROMISE IN ADVERTISING at peak times. That's struggling to meet their own standards, by any definition.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Mojo 77

Premium Member

to Mojo 77
said by Mojo 77 :

A report clearly shows ISPs are still failing to provide advertised speeds...

They also advertise that those speeds are "up to" those speeds. And that they may be less than the "optimum" number. No promises. No guarantees.
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth to coldmoon

to coldmoon
I guess it all depends on the size of your bomb... I use atomic weapons so I can miss by a mile...

The Limit
Premium Member
join:2007-09-25
Denver, CO

The Limit to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
...so you are saying that my seriously oversubscribed CO at home is within those limits? I don't think so. Why does Windstream give service credits if they are unable to provide?

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76 to Ut98Ex

to Ut98Ex
I think some providers needed the kick in the pants this data gave them last year and these are obvious improvements.

These connections have always been sold as up to, frankly 90% of advertised bandwidth is pretty good for an internet connection historically. You didn't pay for a SLA, people need to stop pretending they did, not sure what this has to do with Romney though. I'm a liberal, but people need to be realistic with residential broadband.

In this case market forces seem to be working fine.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

2 recommendations

Eagles1221 to coldmoon

to coldmoon
So you work a full 480 minutes per 8 hour shift? I wish I was your manager so I could have an employee that understand working one less minute than a full 8 hour shift is theft.

How do you like the strict interpretation of the rules applied to you?
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

The majority of ISPs are meeting their advertised goals. The headline doesn't reflect the reality. The only ISP still needing much improvement is Frontier. The rest are delivering what they promise to their customers.

quote:
The first report noted that most ISPs delivered actual download speeds within 80 percent of advertised speeds. This year, the report found that most ISPs delivered speeds within 90 percent of advertised speeds
Does that sound like struggling? Looks more like quickly improving.

are you kidding me!, MOST ISP's AINT, suddenlink is one of them, sure they offer 10mbps and then when it gets night time wam your down to 3mbps... after so called "UPGRADES" I never had this issue till last week...
Cobra11M

Cobra11M to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by Mojo 77 :

A report clearly shows ISPs are still failing to provide advertised speeds...

They also advertise that those speeds are "up to" those speeds. And that they may be less than the "optimum" number. No promises. No guarantees.

and that's where they messed up.., "UP TO" tell that to the tax payers 40 years ago that paid for the cable in the first place.. government sold it to private now its all messed up, regulation is need in this area more than ever, Just like theirs regulation in the wireless industry the cable co's need it to..

The Limit
Premium Member
Denver, CO

The Limit to Eagles1221

Premium Member

to Eagles1221
That's not even a valid comparison, we have labor laws in place that allow so many breaks per eight hour shift. The work place is regulated. The broadband industry is not regulated. If you were his manager, you would be investigated by the Labor Board if you did this.

coldmoon
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
Fulton, NY

coldmoon to Eagles1221

Premium Member

to Eagles1221
said by Eagles1221:

So you work a full 480 minutes per 8 hour shift? I wish I was your manager so I could have an employee that understand working one less minute than a full 8 hour shift is theft.

How do you like the strict interpretation of the rules applied to you?

I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I only worked for that short amount of time so I fail to see the relevance of your reply...
StLCardsFan
join:2011-06-06
Lafayette, LA

StLCardsFan to Eagles1221

to Eagles1221
said by Eagles1221:

this is not a good analogy at all. I don't expect a toyota yaris to go 160, but if i purchased a vette .. id expect it to go 160.

What the ISP's are doing is simple ..they are selling a perceived corvette speed that actually runs like a yaris.

The Limit
Premium Member
Denver, CO

The Limit to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Please see: QWEST and Windstream. Did you even look at the graph? Either you are interpreting the data wrong or you are refusing to see the data presented to you. This notion of "80%" is not what people are told when they sign up for the service. They expect to receive what they are paying for, barring technical topics such as overhead from different protocols etc. Most don't care about that stuff, they care about a service that just works. As long as people can surf the web, stream a movie or two without buffering, or download a file in a reasonable amount of time then they could care less.

ISPs know this and are willingly taking advantage of it. It should be made clear, not this "up to" stuff. This is why this industry needs regulation. OT, but if ISPs want to go down the metered billing road, and not guarantee a certain level of service that the customer expects, then they should be regulated like a utility. Plain and simple.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Cobra11M

MVM

to Cobra11M
said by Cobra11M:

... tell that to the tax payers 40 years ago that paid for the cable in the first place ... government sold it to private ...

Looks like a guy named Bob Magness used borrowed money to build a CATV system from scratch. When it went public in 1972, it became, "Tele-Communications, Inc." (aka, "TCI"). Did I not dig deep enough? What will I find rooting around the Internet for the histories of the other MSOs?
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned) to Mojo 77

to Mojo 77
said by Mojo 77 :

Again, just FOUR of FOURTEEN ISPs are capable of delivering speeds they PROMISE IN ADVERTISING at peak times. That's struggling to meet their own standards, by any definition.

Exactly...

Yet the amusing thing here in this thread is how many erm...members seem rather desperate to defend the ISPs. Maybe they are PR people that work for those same ISPs. Naw that can't be!