uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kookie
Dont Panic

join:2001-10-03
Detroit, MI
kudos:1

Is Zyxel blowing smoke?

I have a ZyXEL Router NBG5715 and an old Linksys BEFCMU10 V4. Worked fine for about a month. Then the router stop communicating with my modem. Power cycling the modem did not work but hitting the reset button on the modem worked in having the router communicate with the modem. (I did check the cabling to make sure I had a confirmed working cable before this.) Now, the time in witch I had to reset the modem deteriorated over two weeks to where it doesn't work any more. I can connect the modem directly to any PC with the ethernet connection and the modem works fine. I called Zyxel and they said to install a switch between the modem and router to see if that is the problem and they my need to update their firmware to have the router communicate correctly with the that modem. Or the router is failing. Dose this sound like a correct method of diagnosis?

I do need a new switch anyway. My Netgear FS105 is pooched it seems. Looks like a GS105 could nicely take its place and I can get the 1000Mbps upgrade.
--
... use your peril sensitive glasses.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
In theory it shouldn't matter whether two network devices are directly connected to each other or via a switch. However I have seen a case where without the switch the error rate on the direct connection was so high that the nic driver indicated lost link after some time (depending on load, a very short time). While this is not a common or likely scenario it is not an unreasonable request to include a switch for troubleshooting purposes.

Given that the communication between router and modem is restored when you reset the modem, I would definitely include a malfunctioning or defect modem in the list of possible causes.

Some (many!) modems are very heat sensitive. Look at ways to keep it cool:
- place it away from direct exposure to sunlight
- orient the modem case to maximize convection cooling (check where the airvents are and make sure that there is a way for air to pass past the circuit board from the lowest to the highest point of the case) the optimal position may not be the one with the modem standing on its feet
- add airflow (put the modem in the exhaust air path of a computer or put it on a laptop cooler)
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Kookie
Dont Panic

Detroit, MI
I agree with you on suspecting the modem. I suspected it too, but I can directly connect it to a PC and have no problems. I will pick up the switch and give that a go then.
--

Kookie
Dont Panic

Detroit, MI
Ok, got a Netgear GS105 switch today. Hooked it up in the three possible ways it could be connected between the two WAN ports. (Wasn't sure how that was suppose to be connected.) Power cycling the the modem and resetting it as well. No go between the ZyXEL Router NBG5715 and the Linksys modem BEFCMU10 V4. (through the GS105 switch.)

Broke out my old, rock steady for many years, Netgear router RP114. Everything is A-OK. So, that modem has got to be in working order.

The reason I got the Zyxel is because it had every thing I wanted, upgrade to a Gigabit ethernet, external antenni, and some other features. Also, my wireless AP unit died connected to the RP114. So, the NBG5715 attracted me to replace it all. This is my fist Zyxel product and this does not bode well in my confidence in this product. Looks like a call for an RMA is in order. Irritated at the moment that my two laptops have to be hard wired while I will be waiting on the exchange and I will be getting a refurbished unit now.

Not sure if the NBG5715 can be hooked up as a wireless AP to the RP114 router while I wait for a replacement. Is that possible, and if so, how would that be configured?
--

Gork
Ou812ic

join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT
said by Kookie:

Irritated at the moment that my two laptops have to be hard wired while I will be waiting on the exchange and I will be getting a refurbished unit now.

I understand where you're coming from. I RMA'd two NBG334W devices before learning that there's an inherent problem with the device. I've started threads in this forum about the issues so I won't go into them again... I purchased the device because it had a set of features far beyond those of other SOHO routers - and though it looked great on paper they had a poor implementation.

Because I'm dumb, instead of looking elsewhere to replace the NGB334W I bought a 2WG off eBay. It came with a European psu so I had to spend $10 at Radio Shack for an adapter. Worked flawlessly for me for a year and handled everything I threw at it.

I used my mother needing wifi as an excuse to buy the newer USG 20W model. There was a bit of a learning curve, but I have been SO happy with this device! I've had lots of fun setting it up and tinkering with it.

Why the great wall of text for an unhelpful post? I was concerned with your first ZyXEL purchase being a negative that you might leave them behind like I nearly did. I am just so glad I didn't write them off after that awful NBG334W experience. Come to think of it, I'd have probably not moved on from the NBG334W if it had worked as it should, so perhaps that was a good thing in the end.

Kookie
Dont Panic

Detroit, MI
said by Gork:

said by Kookie:

Irritated at the moment that my two laptops have to be hard wired while I will be waiting on the exchange and I will be getting a refurbished unit now.

I understand where you're coming from. I RMA'd two NBG334W devices before learning that there's an inherent problem with the device.

I was concerned with your first ZyXEL purchase being a negative that you might leave them behind like I nearly did. I am just so glad I didn't write them off after that awful NBG334W experience.

Well I'd assume every company has their flaky runs. (Had a Samsung phone once that drove me nuts, now I won't touch anything Samsung. I suppose that is somewhat unfair, but a company should not release something unless it works or at least acknowledge that yes, we made a mistake. Was looking at washers and dryers at Lowes the other day and saw a Samsung model and I cringed. What are they doing making washers anyway? I assumed it sucked. I know where you are coming from. That could be a great Samsung washer and dryer. I would have to look at some reviews to know or not. Thing is with this Zyxel router I really couldn't find anything bad about it other than some people complaining about features that didn't concern me that much. I couldn't find that much content either because I assume its fairly new.

Maybe I just got a bad apple. Also we will see come Monday how Zyxel handles this RMA. (I know its pooched.) I will reserve my judgments of Zyxel untill then. Also, I am under the impression that Zyxel is fairly new to the consumer market. So, we will see.

Thing is, this router was awesome when it was working. I was pretty happy when it was all good. I suppose alot of that had to do with my speed upgrade. Although I did have a feeling that a plasicy all in one, do it all unit, was a bad idea. Should have gone the component route like I had before. (BTW, looks like I do alot of assuming and supposing, LOL.)

I guess I could let you all know how it works out.

--

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
said by Kookie:

Also, I am under the impression that Zyxel is fairly new to the consumer market.

The first ZyXEL made consumer product I bought was more then a decade ago and had a Netgear logo on the outside (ZyXEL Prestige 314 = Netgear RT314)
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT
reply to Kookie
said by Kookie:

now I won't touch anything Samsung. I suppose that is somewhat unfair,

Not unfair at all. There are several companies I won't do business with anymore for various product and service related issues. Acronis and RCA just to name two. It is in my nature to write off companies when I am in the position I was with the NBG334W, and because of this and due to the fact I didn't and am glad I didn't I thought I'd share my experience.

said by Kookie:

I guess I could let you all know how it works out.

Please do!

Kookie
Dont Panic

Detroit, MI
Well I said I would tell how it turned out and I'm getting a little miffed. Called Zyxel tech support Monday after work. About 2pm EST. Got a guy, Victor, that was from California. I was pleasantly surprised about that. Not outsourced, good. He wanted me to try cloning the IP. Disconnected a computer from my old network, booted up the NBG5715 and plugged the computer computer in. Wouldn't network at all now. Plugged in a second computer. No go while trying everything. So it seems that this router is indeed pooched.

So he says he will email me an RMA form to fill out and send back. In the email I get a case# and he states he will send me an RMA# as soon as he gets the form back. Waited until Wednesday with no reply. Called them back and explained Victor did not get back to me. (I was a little rushed because I was heading off to work, was on hold for a long time, and I was becoming late for work, so I did not get his name.) He asks me to forward the email to him. So I did. It is Thursday. No reply.

BTW, I did not get any bounce back for that email. I assume they must have gotten it. I've never had anyone say I didn't get your email. I'm not incompetent on sending email with an attachment. Nor was I rude in any way or impatient. No reason to give me the run around.

I will cal tomorrow, Friday, and now ask to talk to a supervisor. Now I will have to be pleasantly rude. Express my being disgruntled. This is totally wasting my time. (Especially with the very long hold times and inconvenient EST difference.) Also, I asked for what they call an advanced RMA so it would waste less time! Gave them my CC# in the email as requested for this. (Felt a little iffy about doing that in an email.)

This does not bode well in my book for Zyxel. I wonder whats going on over there. This isn't competent nor responsible behavior. This fill out the form and send it back is a little weird to me too. Why cant the just take my info over the phone and send me a confirmation email like most any other RMA process I've encountered? I am now expecting for this to be one of those nightmare routers that I have read about but never had.

That is how its turned out so far.
--

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT
grrr

Kookie
Dont Panic

Detroit, MI
reply to Kookie
I'm sorry guys. I forgot to update this. Oops! Talked to that supervisor that Friday and he said he would send out a replacement. I still never received any emails from them though. Waited until Tuesday of the next week and called them back. I was prepared to be actually angry this time. Come to find out as I spoke with them the replacement router was being delivered that day.

The RMA department needs some email communication work. They were not very good at it. All in all, it worked out. Got my replacement and it works pretty good. I still have a few issues though. The 5G doesn't seem to work yet. I haven't fully invested time into figuring out why yet though. Haven't tested the USB network hook up yet either.

Also, the RMA procedure for Zyxel seems to be somewhat of a mystery. I actually need to call them to know what they require, other then the RMA # on the outside of the package. Unless it actually is that simple. No forms or anything I suppose.

We will see how long this replacement will last.
--

Gork
Ou812ic

Bountiful, UT
Thanks for posting back. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Kookie
Dont Panic

Detroit, MI
said by Gork:

Thanks for posting back. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

LOL, Yeah. I shouldn't need fingers crossed, but I very much do appreciate it.

Got the 5G to work today. I was reading about some other brand/model and came across the idea of turning down the power to 75% so it wouldn't run hot and fail sooner. I tried that on my NBG5715 and all of a sudden it became available. Hmm, go figure. Must have reset the 5G in the router and started it to working. Actually, I then turned it all the way down to 50% and it still seems to be a good signal. Turned down the 2.4G too while I was at it.

Just got to test out the netUSB thing to deem this replacement router all good. That worked before on the other one. Not terribly important to me, but a nice little added feature I could take advantage of.

BTW, figured out the RMA process. They keep it quite simple I suppose. All good.

Also, a little gun shy to update the firmware. I did update the old router, but it was after having problems. Not sure if that contributed to its downfall.

Now on to beating the hell out of this router and hoping for a decent life span like my old NetGear RP114. Not sure if a new and more complicated device that does too much stuff can beat it. (Should have just got a good router and a nice AP like I had before.)
--

Kookie
Dont Panic

Detroit, MI
Holy crap its happening again. Three months on the replacement router everything working great. No problems what so ever. Now, again, its losing the connection to the modem again. I power cycle the modem and it will last from a day to 10 minutes. I am really losing faith in this particular router.

I am wondering if I should get a new modem to see it that is the problem, but I don't really have the scratch for that right now. I will wait to see if the problem worsens then I guess it will be another RMA. I Don't Know, I am very frustrated.
--

Kookie
Dont Panic

Detroit, MI
BTW, When the problem started again about a week ago, I checked the firmware and upgraded from 1.00(AAAG.2)C0 to 1.00(AAAG.3)C0. It did not help the situation.
--

bpratt01

join:2012-12-29
reply to Kookie
I too have this issue, I am on my second router, with firmware 1.04, same exact issue. Stops passing traffic WAN to LAN, additionally you cannot hit the management interface on the router.

Locks up many times each day.

Took them 1 month turn around on the RMA first time around. This time I asked for a different model, to which they said no we'll just refund your money. I'm hoping they cover all my shipping charges as well, it's not right that they sell a product which needs so much refinement.

DigitalSky

join:2013-01-19
Holly, MI
Just FYI as an owner of this router I was having problems with the router needing to be manually restarted as it would just stop traffic. I was hoping for a firmware update but the router will tell you it can't connect to the server.

However I found the new firmware on their site, it was supposedly posted in December. Anyways, if you go to the router it won't find the new firmware... ;( So you have to get it yourself. Also, the first download link seems to be broken ;( The second did work!

Also in the release notes it says it fixed an issue with the 5Ghz losing connection, and I think that was my problem all along.

I had hoped I would have been able to install DD-WRT as I know my way around it, and it has everything you could hope for in a router. So far, it doesn't look like it will be developed since the chip set is new and adoption of this router looks to be marginal.

Hopefully this will last a while as it was pricey and I want to get my money's worth.