Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

3 recommendations

More fast food employee stupidity

Posting photos anonymously doesn't protect one from being tracked down. This dummy is now very well educated on just what EXIF DATA is and how useful it can be in identifying people.

The internet can be a magical place sometimes.

A (briefly) anonymous employee of Burger King snapped a pic of himself, which you can see to the right, standing on two containers of lettuce. And not so much on the containers of lettuce so much as in the containers of lettuce. The lettuce that people were going to eat. ...

Anyway... he posted the pic on 4Chan.

Anonymous, the online collective famous for high-profile hackings, internet sleuthing, and virtual attacks against monster companies like Mastercard, didn't take too kindly to senor asshole's post and quickly destroyed his nameless, faceless designs by grabbing the GPS data from the picture, which our mastermind was too dumb to strip before posting. You can also sorta see a barcode in the background on a box, which would have been another clue.

It took all of 15 minutes, according to HyperVocal.com, to find out that the employee worked at the Burger King in Mayfield Heights. ...

»gothamist.com/2012/07/18/burger_···o_of.php

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

FYI most stand alone camera's don't have GPS and therefore don't embed this info in EXIF. Camera phones do. Do the math.

I saw the other day (in the news on this site) that making/receiving voice calls is the 5th rated activity with smartphones. Evidently taking photo's, posting to FB etc is much more important.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

Many do...too many. I avoided buying one and bought an older version of one so that I didn't have to contend with GPS. Many people buy them because they do so where they were can be pinpointed from the image itself. Anyone that does photography should be aware of this and if they don't want it to be a part of an image shown on the Internet, they should learn how to avoid the issue.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by jaykaykay:

Many do...too many.

I assume you mean standalone camera's. If so which ones? I know some higher end DSLR's have GPS built-in or as an option but haven't seen that in compact digital camera's (what most people have).

All my "toys" are standalone. My camera take pictures. My GPS tells me where I am. My (dumb) cellphone makes calls. I deliberately avoid integrated devices mainly because they're not as good as standalone ones IMO. However security/privacy is also a consideration.
--

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:1
reply to EGeezer

If people think this is the worse that happens and find it "horrific". Only if they knew. This is tamed compared to what really goes on out there.

AB
Premium
join:2006-04-04
Leesburg, VA
kudos:3

said by KoRnGtL15:

If people think this is the worse that happens and find it "horrific". Only if they knew. This is tamed compared to what really goes on out there.

Some employee somewhere has blown their nose into a salad or ejaculated into the mayonnaise supply-- or stood on the lettuce with the filthy bottoms of their shoes. Right, most of us are aware these things 'go on out there'.

The thread here isn't so much about these "horrific" things, but about embedded EXIF data in photos and how that can affect one's personal life when the pics are publicly posted-- in this case, causing this particular genius to be busted and fired for his actions.

I'll also note that being fired from your job at Burger King could be considered more of a favor than a penalty.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW

As an example, »www.pcworld.com/article/217605/n···tos.html. I bought a Lumix several years ago, and I made sure to get one without that feature...just for my own ease. I believe that Sony, Cool Pix, and others have them as well in the newer models.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to EGeezer

geotagging, even Mythbusters get burnt
»www.nytimes.com/2010/08/12/techn···ics.html
--
What happens on the internet stays on the internet. Forever.

Hotch

join:2012-06-12
reply to EGeezer

OK, I'm not clear on an issue touched on in the thread. Do current new Smartphone cameras all have this GPS info embedded in all of their pictures. Or is none, or just some and how do you know if they do or don't if it is a mixed bag?

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

Many Smartphones (iPhone, Android units etc) embed GPS data in images (EXIF fields). Google "EXIF viewer" and take a look at images taken by your Smartphone and/or camera. If they contain Latitude/Longitude fields then the images are being geotagged.
--

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

All of it is turned off. I remember where I was when I take those pics. I'm not senile!
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by Juggernaut:

I'm not senile!

Well not yet But in 20-30 years will you remember where you took your pics?

Geotagging is not always a bad thing. The problem is end-user ignorance. Sending pics directly from your Smartphone to FB etc may allow others to determine exactly where you were/are along with other personal info.
--

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

What is this 'FB' thing you speak of?

True, it's not always a bad thing; a remote location that may be hard to find, a fishing hole etc. are good uses. But, other than that, it's a fail for me.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

Oh it's this small website that about half the population of the planet uses to publish their personal info, thoughts, location and pics of themselves and friends. Just a passing fad I suspect

PS: Oops I forgot to add Bank

--

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to EGeezer

I don't know much about EXIF data and how it can be extracted or deleted from pictures. Any good reading or brief explanation?

If I take a picture and it's 1600x1200 resolution and has the EXIF data, but I use a program to size it down to 800x600, will that strip the EXIF data?

My phone doesn't have a data plan (Blackberry Bold 9000 from ATT), so if I take a picture, how does it add this data?

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

With the on-board GPS and/or the cell towers.

LondonOntGuy

join:2004-05-12
London, ON
reply to EGeezer

Any photo you post up on Facebook, the EXIF data will be stripped entirely.

If you want to strip the EXIF from a photo, sometimes making a small edit will do just that. ACDSee has that option I believe.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to KoRnGtL15

Ya and its sad....... If all these teenagers didnt work in these places now,IT WOULDNT BE SO BAD......

Stupid idiot........

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to EGeezer

Re: More fast food employee stupidity

Reminded me that ....Youtube just introduced a blur tool for faces to protect identities.

»www.ibtimes.com/articles/364698/···deos.htm

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to LondonOntGuy

said by LondonOntGuy:

Any photo you post up on Facebook, the EXIF data will be stripped entirely.

If you want to strip the EXIF from a photo, sometimes making a small edit will do just that. ACDSee has that option I believe.

Does Facebook still keep the original copies though? :>
--
Ant @ »antfarm.ma.cx and »aqfl.net. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use the forum! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to fartness

said by fartness:

If I take a picture and it's 1600x1200 resolution and has the EXIF data, but I use a program to size it down to 800x600, will that strip the EXIF data?

It depends on the program. To my mind, a sensible default is to transfer the still-relevant EXIF data: after all, you told the program to "resize", not "throw away non-image info". But the same sensible program ought to allow you to explicitly discard metadata.

On the other hand, Windows Explorer (in Win7 at least) allows you to throw away EXIF data. Right-click, property sheet, details, 'discard personal details'. I haven't tested this out with GPS, for lack of a suitable test image.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Name Game

Click for full size
Sometimes you don't need GPS information to locate a scene...

Hotch

join:2012-06-12
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

Many Smartphones (iPhone, Android units etc) embed GPS data in images (EXIF fields). Google "EXIF viewer" and take a look at images taken by your Smartphone and/or camera. If they contain Latitude/Longitude fields then the images are being geotagged.

Thanks for the info, it's appreciated!

But can I trust my carries, say Verizon or AT&T to tell me before I buy a Smartphone if the camera are geotagged?

Or maybe there is a constantly current website that tells that?

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to EGeezer

How do I find the coordinates of a pic?

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

Not sure on the phone cam - but on computer should be in properties somewhere. If I right click on photo and check advanced - it should be in details.

I can't check mine. I use a Nexus S and have turned off GPS in photos.
Did the same with a Galaxy S 4G.
Couldn't find in Photoshop, either.

I also might not have some exif as phones are rooted, and first thing that went is Maps, Latitude, etc.

I also have a program called Image Shrink (paid). It gives you the option of not saving exif when resizing pic.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Dude111

Re:  

said by Dude111:

Ya and its sad....... If all these teenagers didnt work in these places now,IT WOULDNT BE SO BAD......

So TELL ME, my friend, WHERE THESE TEENAGERS should work?

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 recommendation

said by vaxvms:

So TELL ME, my friend, WHERE THESE TEENAGERS should work?

Facebook.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
reply to EGeezer

Re: More fast food employee stupidity

To be honest, I don't think they did it out of offense. I'm fairly sure almost every photo is checked for EXIF there just to screw with people doing dumb stuff.

Also BK might be getting hit in general because of this statement;

"“Burger King Corp. has recently been made aware of a photo posted on a social networking site that allegedly shows a BURGER KING® restaurant employee violating the company’s stringent food handling procedures."

--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5

2 recommendations

reply to EGeezer

Denial-of-service attack: take a picture of somebody doing gross stuff to food, then edit the EXIF data to point to some different Burger King in a distant city.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

said by Steve:

Denial-of-service attack: take a picture of somebody doing gross stuff to food, then edit the EXIF data to point to some different Burger King in a distant city.

Now that's thinking like the enemy - a good strategy for defining security

For readers who haven't seen them(I bet Steve See Profile has), there's KYE, a series of papers by Lance Spitzner's honeynet project