Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
kudos:2
reply to wxboss

Re: More fast food employee stupidity

said by wxboss:

said by rusdi:

There are many software programs that can strip the EXIF data from pictures, (google 'em) before posting in a public site.

I like the GPS feature on my phone, and leave it turned on, in case of the unlikely event that I crash my car in some less-traveled location, and I am incapacitated, (not to be confused with decapitated).

I appreciate your response; however, I was just trying to find out if disabling those options prevents that data from being automatically imported into phone pics. I'm trying to avoid adding additional programs onto my phone unnecessarily.

I was replying to EGeezer See Profile, but I would guess there is a way to disable the EXIF from being embedded in photos from your cell phone. Perhaps experiment with a few pics, and see what comes up on your computer.

Investigate the owners manual that came with the phone for clues. If nothing is addressed, I would screen every photo, and delete/strip if this data isn't desired.
--
Come fold for a cure with us @ Team Helix.

bitemeboy

join:2005-04-06
Otego, NY
reply to EGeezer

I don't know about you Windows folks but on Linux, this subject is old news. Always have been able to view, change, delete data. In addition to EXIF, there can also be IPTC and XMP data fields.

So, a word to the wise should be sufficient. All digital photo's have this information. All this information can be cooked! Not to mention, the picture itself, can be Gimped(Photoshopped)!

One picture can indeed, be worth a thousand words!
--
Slow down Pa... Sakes alive...Ma missed signs... Four and five
.......................................Burma-Shave..................................

Austinloop

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX
kudos:1
reply to StuartMW

Excellent points, all, Stuart! I echo your choices.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to bitemeboy

said by bitemeboy:

I don't know about you Windows folks but on Linux, this subject is old news.

Well EXIF is not specific to any OS. I've been using EXIF/IPTC embedding for over a decade. The point of this whole thread is end user awareness. Smartphone users are generally ignorant of it's existence and the hazards of posting images to the web without scrubbing them first.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

wxboss
This is like Deja vu all over again.
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

reply to rusdi

Sorry, rusdi See Profile, my bad.

I did do a little experimenting with the services turned off and didn't find that data, yet I wanted to make sure I hadn't overlooked anything in the process.
--
"I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act." --- G. K. Chesterton

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to EGeezer

Always print screen and paste into paint before uploading... duh?

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

If I take a picture and it's 1600x1200 resolution and has the EXIF data, but I use a program to size it down to 800x600, will that strip the EXIF data?

It may or may not, depending on what program you use and how it is configured.

The program that I use for converting photos, Irfanview, gives you the option of keeping or removing the original EXIF data. With an optional plugin it also allows you to change, add, or selectively remove some of the information.

said by fartness:

My phone doesn't have a data plan (Blackberry Bold 9000 from ATT), so if I take a picture, how does it add this data?

It uses coordinates from its own internal GPS receiver and inserts the coordinated into the EXIF data in the image. No cellular data plan or internet connectivity required.

airwavz
Always the green wire

join:2011-09-11
Mount Juliet, TN
kudos:1
reply to Juggernaut

said by Juggernaut:

What is this 'FB' thing you speak of?

ROFL'ing

I'll be the first to admit; don't have an account on it, post to it, read it or have any use for it at all. FB is just a complete waste of time. Besides, when could I possibly squeeze it into my schedule - I have more important things to do, like reading and posting on the forums at this little site called DSLR all night and day....

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to fartness

Using IrfanView:

IrfanView menu.

I can find the following:
downloadxif-olymp.txt 1638 bytes
Olympus digital camera.

downloadxif-moto_rzr.txt 809 bytes
Motorola phone.

downloadxif-huawei.txt 937 bytes
Huawei phone.

The camera is very old, and has no GPS configuration menus. Both phones had GPS options set to "911 only".

I have not edited the images, so can't address whether edits alter the EXIF data.

An Internet search will find numerous standalone EXIF readers. Photo editing software should also.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to bitemeboy

said by bitemeboy:

I don't know about you Windows folks but on Linux, this subject is old news. Always have been able to view, change, delete data.

Windows 7: Image properties. Some fields can be edited. EXIF data can be removed.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105

1 recommendation

reply to EGeezer

Pretty dumb...

However...I can do you some better about fast food employee stupidity, with the assault at McDonalds in Paris, France of Dr. Steve Mann, a pioneer in computerized vision assistance (think Google Glass).

(Just to warn you, though...this site requires JavaScript but does not inform the reader. The page will just be "blank" without it/with NoScript engaged.)
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to EGeezer

More dumbness... A restaurant employee was sentenced to 15 days in jail and will have to pay $13,750 for putting hair in a police officer's sandwich.

Details - »www.phillyburbs.com/news/local/b···d54.html