spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

What's the min ACK bandwidth for 305Mbps?

Depending on the TCP receive window, one could chew through quite a bit of upstream bandwidth to sustain 305Mbps down. I'd guess north of 5Mbps would be consumed by ACKs unless a large receive window is used. Depending on quality, too large a window would kill performance if there are too many retransmits.

It would seem only fair if they provided at least 20Mbps up for 305Mbps down to keep the receive window reasonable and not require ultra low latency to the source server.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 recommendation

said by rradina:

Depending on the TCP receive window, one could chew through quite a bit of upstream bandwidth to sustain 305Mbps down. I'd guess north of 5Mbps would be consumed by ACKs unless a large receive window is used. Depending on quality, too large a window would kill performance if there are too many retransmits.

It would seem only fair if they provided at least 20Mbps up for 305Mbps down to keep the receive window reasonable and not require ultra low latency to the source server.

Comcast already provides 20 Mbps on its upstream for their 105 Mbps downstream tier. I suspect they woud provide more for a 305 Mbps tier.
--
»www.mittromney.com/s/repeal-and-···bamacare
»www.mittromney.com/issues/health-care

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to rradina
Comcast seems to like a 5 to 1, down to up, ratio for D3 service. So I see a 61Mbps up for the 305 down.

ikyuaoki

join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit
reply to rradina
that 305Mbits bandwidth takes lots of window buffer size to complete an empire of data packets for sure.

on the modern windows 7 is not a problem for high speed broadband as even at 305Mbits broadband.

that involves both mid to high latency/bandwidth requires large window buffer size to support 305Mbits bandwidth downstream and up to 100Mbits bandwidth upstream.