Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

Speculation of 305 tier provisioned speeds/prices?

»Exclusive: Comcast Prepping 305 Mbps Tier [128] comments

As seen in the link, Comcast is prepping a 305/20? tier

What are ya'll thinking the actual provisioned speeds will be for this speed? I'm guessing 325/82 since it was shown here that upstream bonding tests got 75-100 megs: »Comcast Upstream Tests: 75-100 Mbps

And besides speeds, think it'll be placed where the 105 Extreme speed used to be at, 200 a month?

As is inevitable, someone will bring up caps for this, how do you think Comcast will apply the capping scheme here? By speed tier would be the most efficient in my opinion and adding in overages after. Since this would be a top shelf offering, any guesses as to cap numbers? 1TB perhaps?
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

If they're smart, they'll scale caps based on the tier, but I'm not sure that they plan on doing that.

So, my wager is 300GB.
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

nysports4evr to Chris 313

Premium Member

to Chris 313
said by Chris 313:

What are ya'll thinking the actual provisioned speeds will be for this speed? I'm guessing 325/82 since it was shown here that upstream bonding tests got 75-100 megs: »Comcast Upstream Tests: 75-100 Mbps

Absolutely not. There is not enough capacity available to be offering anywhere close to 82 Mbps up in most areas.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude to Chris 313

Premium Member

to Chris 313
305/25 is my guess.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to Chris 313

to Chris 313
Alot of current D3 modems don't support that speed level so i doubt that this is going to happen soon. I know that a 4 channel modem gives a downstream of 171.537Mbps combined or 42.884Mbps per channel and 131.072Mbps combined or 32.768Mbps per channel. An 8 channel modem gives a downstream of 343.072Mbps combined or 42.884Mbps per channel and an upstream of 131.072Mbps combined or 32.768Mbps per channel.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview to Chris 313

Premium Member

to Chris 313
As far as pricing goes ... my guess would be:

1 - Arm
1 - Leg

.. fingers & toes for exceeding caps.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

Don't forget your first and second born to go along with the toes and fingers!

netcool
Premium Member
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO

1 recommendation

netcool to nysports4evr

Premium Member

to nysports4evr
said by nysports4evr:

There is not enough capacity available to be offering anywhere close to 82 Mbps up in most areas.

Who says it has to be a DOCSIS based solution?
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

nysports4evr

Premium Member

said by netcool:

said by nysports4evr:

There is not enough capacity available to be offering anywhere close to 82 Mbps up in most areas.

I'm going to speculate now based on this.
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned) to newview

to newview
Only the CEO that concocted this PR tripe of an idea will be able to afford it.
Tomcat353
join:2002-12-27
Jacksonville, FL

1 recommendation

Tomcat353 to Chris 313

to Chris 313
I'm currently on the Extreme 105/20 tier and it's great. I just recently bought a Zoom 5341J modem so I can see all 8 downstream channels now. I'll more than likely subscribe to this tier if it comes to the Jacksonville, FL area in the near future. Of course, if they offer up 305Mbps down...that'll basically be the cap for 8 downstream channels since 343.072Mbps is the limit (not including overhead)...and I would hope they will at least offer 50Mbps up if not more with this type of tier.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to YukonHawk

to YukonHawk
said by YukonHawk:

Don't forget your first and second born to go along with the toes and fingers!

Go for it, you can always make more lol

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude to netcool

Premium Member

to netcool
said by netcool:

So my neighborhood is getting wired for FiOS (orange conduit already put in) at the moment, and I'll most likely be leaving Comcast despite being pretty damn happy with them. FiOS offers me two things (#1. low latency, #2 better upstream) which Comcast cannot.

However if Comcast were to offer a competing fiber product, I would be sticking with Comcast. If they want to compete with FiOS, they can't do it with coax.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313 to Tomcat353

Premium Member

to Tomcat353
said by Tomcat353:

I'm currently on the Extreme 105/20 tier and it's great. I just recently bought a Zoom 5341J modem so I can see all 8 downstream channels now. I'll more than likely subscribe to this tier if it comes to the Jacksonville, FL area in the near future. Of course, if they offer up 305Mbps down...that'll basically be the cap for 8 downstream channels since 343.072Mbps is the limit (not including overhead)...and I would hope they will at least offer 50Mbps up if not more with this type of tier.

Yes. And that's great. With the announcement, the news here: »[Speed] Northeast speed changes coming.. makes more sense as to what will be coming. I could just see them putting the 305 speed where 105 was price wise. But only the next few months will tell. And as I'm not in that area, I'll probably be one of the last areas to get it while most other areas are going through yet ANOTHER upgrade.

I'm glad to see you've got a Zoom J. Sounds like you'll be set for it when it comes, but we'll see, eh? And 50 up sounds interesting. It'd trail Fios 65 up if memory serves, but it is close. And makes the other tiers make more sense. with 50 being 15 up and 105 being 20 up. With 305 being a top shelf expensive tier, I'd expect more then 25 out of it since I could pay less, get 105 and be just as happy from a few points. Too soon to tell, though

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Chris 313

MVM

to Chris 313
Jeff Baumgartner also speculates about Karl Bode's exclusive DSLR news item about this in his Blog item on the Light Reading Cable site today:

Caught in FiOS's Speed Trap
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - July 20, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/blo ··· lr_cable

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

Jeff Baumgartner also speculates about Karl Bode's exclusive DSLR news item about this in his Blog item on the Light Reading Cable site today:

Caught in FiOS's Speed Trap
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - July 20, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/blo ··· lr_cable

Interesting article. He's right, but I see it as a combo of both a good connection and very fast speed. Keep cranking it up, sure. But first, get me to 100 without raising my bill anymore and we'll talk.

I'm anxious to see what "soon" is, and the complete details of the 300 package.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

owlyn to Chris 313

MVM

to Chris 313
I don't need a Maserati to drive to the grocery store.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by owlyn:

Sure. But me, I want everything I download or upload for that matter to come in as fast as it can. I do not want to wait 4 hours for a download to finish. Those Steam games are a bitch. Think how it feels waiting for 2GB game updates to finish for at least an hour when your friend gets it in minutes since he has 100 or faster.

Each to his own, I guess. ^_^ What speed do you have?

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn

MVM

said by Chris 313:

said by owlyn:

Sure. But me, I want everything I download or upload for that matter to come in as fast as it can. I do not want to wait 4 hours for a download to finish. Those Steam games are a bitch. Think how it feels waiting for 2GB game updates to finish for at least an hour when your friend gets it in minutes since he has 100 or faster.

I have the Performance tier, which is 15/2, burst to 20/4. I don't do online gaming, but this is fast enough for anything I throw at it: Two HD video streams plus Pandora and general web surfing/email all at the same time. No problems.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by owlyn:

said by Chris 313:

said by owlyn:

I have the Performance tier, which is 15/2, burst to 20/4. I don't do online gaming, but this is fast enough for anything I throw at it: Two HD video streams plus Pandora and general web surfing/email all at the same time. No problems.

That explains it. I have Blast! at 16/2 here. No upgrades yet, maybe not until next year. And you name it, I probably do it. Lots of HD video, Netflix, gaming, etc.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to Chris 313

to Chris 313
At some point the internet speeds are going to be faster then the servers the websites can offer it to us at, and thus it's going to be overkill. I mean its not like if you stream Netflix at a speed greater then 300Mbps down steadily you are going to see the video in 4K resolution.

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

torrents obviously
and steam let's me download at around 10-20 megabytes at university, and I can do 6 MB/s at home on my xtreme 50.

However who cares about that 300 megabits. I want fiber for low ping. FIOS users in quake live and their 8ms ping while us Comcast people have like 30-40 and we live CLOSER to the server....

And for quake live it makes a big difference, it's the way the netcode is made.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

1 recommendation

RR Conductor to newview

Premium Member

to newview
said by newview:

As far as pricing goes ... my guess would be:

1 - Arm
1 - Leg

.. fingers & toes for exceeding caps.

Exactly! I think 72 a month is already too much for Blast (and it is), I can't imagine what that tier will cost.

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

i read it's 200$ a month
which is too much for me

if they had it for 100$ a month
i would get that so quickly since I am already paying for xtreme50 at 115$ a month...
comcast ripping me off

and those new englanders get their speed doubled, that's not fair ;x

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Chris 313

MVM

to Chris 313
An article on the Multichannel News site this morning that Comcast has now officially announced the "Xfinity Platinum" tier, with download speeds up to 305 Mbps and upload speeds up to 65 Mbps:

Comcast Debuts 305-Meg Internet, Doubles Speeds For Two Broadband Tiers
MSO Launches 'Xfinity Platinum' to Take Fastest-Internet Claim From Verizon FiOS

By Todd Spangler, Multichannel News - July 24, 2012
»www.multichannel.com/art ··· iers.php
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to JigglyWiggly

to JigglyWiggly
You and me both. Though to say that Comcast is ripping me off is a bit of a stretch...their tiers pick up where CenturyLink's leave off speed-wise. Where I'm moving, I won't even be ablle to get more than 5 Mbps up, unless Time Warner Cable decides to upgrade things again. Then again, I can get 30/5 for $60 9for the first year) on TWC, which is a better deal than Comcast.

I don't expect 305/65 to be cheap. It'll probably be the same $205 or so that VZ charges for that speed of FiOS. However I wouldn't be buying that connection anyway...it would take a lot for me to pay $200 for a connection of any sort when I have a reasonable selection of options available. Heck, if I was in Chattanooga, TN and they lowered the price of gigabit to $200 per month, I still probably wouldn't buy it.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

2 edits

telcodad

MVM

I must admit I really didn't think Comcast would be able to offer the same uplink speed as Verizon Fios's Quantum service (65 Mbps), but as the OP noted, Comcast had achieved sustained upstream rates of 75 Mbps in field trials by bonding two 6.4MHz-wide 64QAM channels with two 3.2MHz-wide 16QAM ones (»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable).

Looking through all the screens posted in Johkal's »[Signals] Evidence of Upstream Channel Bonding - Post Here stickied thread, only a few had showed 4 upstream channels available at the time they were captured. The majority of systems seem to currently have two 64QAM channels along with one (legacy DOCSIS 1.X) 16QAM one.

It looked like in those few 4-upstream-channel systems, a second 16QAM channel had been placed in the sub-20MHz area, where the greater noise level tolerance of 16QAM was utilized.

Some notable exceptions to that scheme can be seen, however, where in the first (Johkal's) post, all 4 upstream channels are placed between 22 and 37 MHz, and in another case from Hillsborough/San Mateo, CA (»Hillsborough/San Mateo, CA), where they managed to fit three 64QAM channels and one 16QAM one!

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35 to iansltx

Anon

to iansltx
Pricing was said to be $309/month or something. Forget where I saw that but i'll try finding a link.

Ahh here it is: I thought this was known information?

Comcast's Xfinity Platinum Internet service, with download speeds of up to 305 Mbps and upload speeds of up to 65 Mbps, will cost $299.95 per month either standalone or bundled with TV and voice. Included in the service for no additional charge are Xfinity Signature Support (a $9.95-per-month value), which provides customers 24-hour tech support; a dedicated "personal communications consultant" assigned to the account; and a DOCSIS 3.0-based wireless gateway

»www.multichannel.com/art ··· iers.php
Tomcat353
join:2002-12-27
Jacksonville, FL

Tomcat353

Hmm...interesting, for the $299.95/mo price tag...it'll be tough to convince anyone to sign up for this tier if migrating from FIOS...since FIOS is right around $100 less per month. I would still be interested in this tier even at $299.95/mo though since the upload speed is also getting a nice boost from 20 to 65Mbps.

J Jefferson3
@comcast.net

J Jefferson3 to telcodad

Anon

to telcodad
It is official now for Central pa zone, here are links for Endgaget
»www.engadget.com/2012/07 ··· latinum/

The actual press release from comcast site
»www.comcast.com/About/Pr ··· ect=true

and found another site also!!!
»gigaom.com/2012/07/24/an ··· ps-tier/

If your checking the prices with this third site they all ready reflect the recent price increase for the New England area, which took effect for the July billing period, these will be the prices in the future if you are currently paying less in your particular region!!!

I believe some areas in New Jersey get their next price increase in January of 2013 as i have all ready seen early draft sheets being made at the corporate office in Philadelphia!!!