united state

1 recommendation

etaadmin to cdru

to cdru

Re: Things that make you go Hummmmm.

said by cdru:

said by ArrayList:

QoS, my friend.

So either the 305 sub is going to get a big "up yours" and not get to actually use the 305mbit service they pay for, or all the other subs are going to get an "up yours" when the 305 mbit sub gets all that (s)he is paying for.

QOS doesn't magically make more bandwidth appear.

What you both missed is that silicon today is able to bond 16, 32 downstream channels and more than 8 upstream channels. With docsis3.x load balancing it won't be any problems for anyone in the same node.

I would be surprised if Comcast use 'regular' 8 downstream/4 upstream docsis3.0 modems for this plan.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by etaadmin:

What you both missed is that silicon today is able to bond 16, 32 downstream channels and more than 8 upstream channels. With docsis3.x load balancing it won't be any problems for anyone in the same node.

If the same node is already congested, as specified in the original comment ("....a node that's totally bloated with subs") then why wasn't additional channels not already available to alleviate that congestion?

A minimum of 8 channels would have to be bonded to get to the 305 mbit mark. Even if that was doubled to 16 channels, 1 user taking half the capacity of 16 channels still is likely to have an impact on other users somewhat greater than zero.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude to etaadmin

Premium Member

to etaadmin
said by etaadmin:

I would be surprised if Comcast use 'regular' 8 downstream/4 upstream docsis3.0 modems for this plan.

So they can support 2 to 4 users per node on this tier without overselling.

Currently it's something like 200 to 400 homes per node. I see trouble.
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

1 recommendation

Rekrul

said by whfsdude:

So they can support 2 to 4 users per node on this tier without overselling.

Currently it's something like 200 to 400 homes per node. I see trouble.

No, you just missed the magic words "up to" which make everything OK.