spc
Search similar:

uniqs
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin

Whats more interesting

is that it took Comcast exactly one month to respond to Verizon's FiOS new 300 Mbps plan. June 18, 2012 Verizon announces quantum, today July 19, 2012 Comcast announces 305 Mbps.

That says a lot about the potential of docsis3.x... and at a fraction of the cost for deploying FiOS.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan

Re: Whats more interesting

said by etaadmin:

That says a lot about the potential of docsis3.x... and at a fraction of the cost for deploying FiOS.

Not really no. It says they are trying to desperately market their services keep those in FiOS territory from abandoning ship.

Docis 3.x has many issues and yes it still costs them money to upgrade the infrastructure to support each docsis rev. It also costs them channels. Nothing is free or simple anymore cable land these days.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin

said by danclan:

said by etaadmin:

Not really no. It says they are trying to desperately market their services keep those in FiOS territory from abandoning ship.

Docis 3.x has many issues and yes it still costs them money to upgrade the infrastructure to support each docsis rev. It also costs them channels. Nothing is free or simple anymore cable land these days.

Desperate market their services? Last time I check there was an agreement between Verizon and many cable companies to sell each other's products... Comcast included.

»Does Verizon Cable Deal Spell Death of FiOS Expansion? [84] comments

I don't see any signs desperation however I see signs of a highly competitive company not letting the competition outdone them.

FiOS market penetration is too low for the highly acclaimed glamorous product they have, Verizon is trying to increase it to 40% so who has the other 70% of subscribers? Cable companies.

I have no idea what 'docsis3.x issues' you are talking about, the technology is proven, it is everywhere, it is cheap to deploy... it surely won't cost +23 billion dollars to deploy it to 4 million subscribers and it can offer similar speeds to FiOS as shown by Comcast's announcement.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

Cable companies have 70% penetration ? Thats news to me , last time I checked they were 45% and satellite was 30% in fios areas. Ohhh wait you forgot about those pesky satellite co's didn't you... ok ... carry on spreading FUD.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan to etaadmin

to etaadmin

said by etaadmin See Profile

I have no idea what 'docsis3.x issues' you are talking about, the technology is proven, it is everywhere, it is cheap to deploy... it surely won't cost +23 billion dollars to deploy it to 4 million subscribers and it can offer similar speeds to FiOS as shown by Comcast's announcement.

Well you might want to read the comments then since docsis 3 does have constraints that does cost money to deploy. Cable isnt unlimited and you can't just off and offer 300mbps to customers without having to make some sacrifice.

That 23BB will look like a genius move here in the coming years. Its a shame the whole country isnt being fibered up as a national initiative. People and investors can be short sighted. Funny thing fiber...its not subject to interference and has little to no signal degradation compared to copper and has virtually unlimited bandwidth for nearly any service. It also requires significantly less power to operate. Wake me when copper can do that.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to etaadmin

Premium Member

to etaadmin
said by etaadmin:

is that it took Comcast exactly one month to respond to Verizon's FiOS new 300 Mbps plan. June 18, 2012 Verizon announces quantum, today July 19, 2012 Comcast announces 305 Mbps.

What a fool to think that Comcast "just" thought about this.. I'm sure Verizon was the leader in fast fiber to the home, too huh?

Try to be less narrow-sighted in your thinking. There were other companies that not only thought about fiber, but deployed it. Comcast was already blowing Verizon out of the water, so THEY responded to Comcast. All they're doing is leapfrogging each other.. nothing new. Comcast has even higher tiers in their sights.. they don't just turn them on over night, or even a month. Same thing was said about the 105 tier,.. that Comcast was just answering Verizon when in fact Comcast had been talking about a 100mb connection to the the home a few years back and have been working towards it since.

It appears that Verizon moves quicker than cable, but in fact when you have a tiny foot print compared to that of a company the size of comcast, it's a no brainer.
BosstonesOwn
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

Reading is imperative in todays society , comcast is only rolling this tier out in fios country !
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2

Premium Member

.. so far. If you'll recall Comcast rolled out their 105mb tier in the Twin Cities of MN first.. no fios here. Reading IS imperative.. but having a brain and a memory and all that is equally as important. Seriously.. the shit gets old after a while. You all sound like spoiled brats.. "mom!! he got 1 more cookie than I did".. that's what this all sounds like.

Are you REALLY going to use a 300mb tier tomorrow? .. or pay for it? no.. so why the tears? I swear, anytime something is announced that's coming, there's always the same group of people bitching that they didn't flip the damn switch on nationwide at one time.

Let your brain cells divide and replicate.
BosstonesOwn
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

The major issue is the anti competitive crap they pull then try these little gestures to make it seem like they are competing. Guess what I am not buying this bullshit they keep shoveling. If you want to go for it. But when we become so stifled by mega corps owning everything from the water we drink to the air we breathe then just then maybe we will get some people willing to stand up and see the forest for the trees.

Thankfully I have dual citizenship and can leave the country if it starts to resemble idiot racy any much more.