tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt to StLCardsFan

Premium Member

to StLCardsFan

Re: Verizon and Comcast e-penis size fail!

said by StLCardsFan:

there is no modem. If the google network in KC works well you can bet your ass they will expand.

What people like you don't seem to know is that Google has been quietly laying down their own long-haul fiber backbone... making any town/city within 20 miles of that backbone doable ...

buying backhaul from some poor debt strapped company like ATT? Not that ATT is poor, but compared to Google they are like bob's tire and haircare salon.

Guess again, wishful thinker
AT&T Mkt cap=$208B
Goog Mkt cap=$193B

At&t is very exerienced in the telcom world, and can raise money for a comminications project if it makes financial sense.

The Google project has so far had plenty of mis-steps and slowdowns because what the lack is the experince to plan and get this done on time and (my guess) under budget.

AND that what you keep forgeting/ignoring, googles own words that this is and experiment to learn about the building process AND to see what changes it brings to the selected city's (in this case the kansas cities)
So they are close to step one and then the years of observation begin to see what happens, and is it positive both for the community and profitable for google.
So don't start holding your breath in St.Louis or Lafaytte (ok you can start now)
BTW even G doesn't have that much money.
StLCardsFan
join:2011-06-06
Lafayette, LA

2 edits

StLCardsFan

said by tshirt:

Guess again, wishful thinker
AT&T Mkt cap=$208B
Goog Mkt cap=$193B

At&t is very exerienced in the telcom world, and can raise money for a comminications project if it makes financial sense.

The Google project has so far had plenty of mis-steps and slowdowns because what the lack is the experince to plan and get this done on time and (my guess) under budget.

AND that what you keep forgeting/ignoring, googles own words that this is and experiment to learn about the building process AND to see what changes it brings to the selected city's (in this case the kansas cities)
So they are close to step one and then the years of observation begin to see what happens, and is it positive both for the community and profitable for google.
So don't start holding your breath in St.Louis or Lafaytte (ok you can start now)
BTW even G doesn't have that much money.

I know where they have their own fiber...and market cap has nothing to do with cash on hand. google has zero debt (really 3 billion but with 45billion in cash makes it a ..ZERO) comparing that to ATT which has oh .... 59billion in debt (choke) and 2billion in cash ... and comparing market cap of att v. google is like saying the 100billion in cash apple had and paid to share holders is insignificant. so really ...get your points correct.

googles own network is a hedge against the likes of ATT and Verizon trying to prioritize network delivery or putting a premium on google services. The fact is ..if Google wants to do something ..they have the cash on hand to do it. They don't need investors. They don't even need to justify what they are doing. Google pays cash ..and cash is king.

As far as mis-steps ...of course they will have some. All the telcos on earth ... and even cable cos put every possible obstacle imaginable in place to try and sabotage the "experiment."

There is no wishful thinking. They have fiber on I70 and there is no city anywhere that would refuse Google access. In order for Google to innovate their ideals they need massive amounts of bandwidth ...which would cost them massive amounts of money if left to relying on the current backhaul providers... hmmm money now being spent on laying fiber "that never was going to really happen."

The biggest thing is this ...all the current ISP's rely on profiting from providing the bandwidth ... and cannot possibly compete with googles model of providing the bandwidth for the end service as a profit. Whats happening is simple ..they have taken Apples highly lucrative business model to the next level ... no arbitrary caps or speed restrictions on any piece of equipment google might come up with on its own network. There is no other ISP or brand for that matter that could compete with that.

So yeah ..those odd HUD networked glasses, chromebooks, ect ... why else would they be making stuff like that?

I really don't think you can possibly grasp the amount of money Google has and the unique position it puts them in.

My gut tells me Google will end up buying level3 or cogent and be done with it and in a decade or less will be its own tier1 provider and ISP.