share rss forum feed

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to skeechan

Re: I'm all for speed

Hook up 4 HDTVs to your network. Stream 4 different HD movies at the same time. You have just simulated a house full of people watching 4 different movies. At the same time connect 4 PCs, 4 laptops, 4 smart phones, and 4 tablets doing simultaneous operating system, application, and antivirus updates. Add in the house security, energy, and fire monitoring services. Now add in cloud back ups of all data on all the devices. I would say that would saturate a 50Mbps service.

michieru
Premium
join:2009-07-25
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
Your just finding excuses to saturate a 50mb connection but the chance of the full connection being used is highly unlikely and peak time can range anywhere from 1-2 hrs tops.

1. Antivirus updates are once in a few days kind of thing...your not constantly downloading antivirus updates.

House security will require upload vs download, so having 50mbps is not in your best benefit and this is why some people will be happy with symmetrical service like 10/10 or 50/50 or etc.

Energy? Is your cable modem part of a super collider or something?

Fire monitoring service uses standard phone line which calls back every hour if anything. Even if you were to convert that into some IP phone which I am sure they do have then your talking about a few KB being transferred every hour.

It seems that you want faster speeds because of your inefficiency of having 4 laptops, 4 smart phones, and 4 tablets including 4 PCs.

Windows updates....most are just a few mb unless it's service packs and even then you can run your own Windows update server if you really wanted too to keep your systems updates and only downloading once.

As for cloud backup I would say to each his own. I do all backups locally because it's fast, it's cheap and it's a one time fee.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
reply to davidhoffman
No one I've seen offers high bitrate HD streams...I haven't seen anything higher than 10Mb per.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to michieru
What I meant by energy is that some electric utility companies, such as EPB Fiber in TN, have created a path, using fiber optic connections, to a smart electrical grid. At present the usage is primitive. Next generation appliances and HVAC may continuously communicate back to the the electric utility. A "smart" house may deliver all types of information back to utilities. The utilities then use this to fine tune how they are delivering services and at what cost, based on previous customer input as to what they want to happen under certain conditions.

As for device inefficiency, I am seeing coworkers whose families are moving in the direction of the scenario I proposed. They use high end PCs or workstations for CAD/CAM modeling, video editing, or gaming. They have laptops to function on the go. The tablets are for traveling very lightly. Smartphones will soon be the majority devices available for purchase. The lack of variety in basic mobile phones from each carrier is only going to get worse. Yes, the people I work with are engineers, scientists, and CAM operators. Their spouses are teachers, professors, web application developers, software developers, and video advertising creators. I met a high school teacher in Florida who had a high end Mac Pro and a MacBook to do video projects in addition to a comprehensive SLR and video camera setup collection. She had a Blackberry. That was several years ago. If she is still teaching I can imagine she has added an iPad tablet and a iPhone smart phone to her equipment collection. Her husband had a fancy PC and laptop set up to deal with his large outdoor sign printing business. Blackberry also.

We are getting more internet connecting capable devices into our lives, not less. Might we do without some of those devices in the name of efficiency? Yes. But to do so is not necessary. I know people with large mechanics tool sets or cooking cutlery sets. Do they use each piece everyday? No. But it sure is nice to have just the right tool to do the job when you want to do certain tasks.

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
reply to michieru
You're right.

1. Only two companies (Microsoft and Kapersky) do definition updates on a daily basis, and in neither case is the update file itself large.
2. Comcast itself is rolling out a home security service (Xfinity Home) and it is completely separated from both the CDV and HSI portions of their network - if Comcast follows the same pattern as other home-security companies, including ADT, the service itself is the only differentiator. (No, I'm not kidding; we recently changed home-security companies (from a locally-based provider to ADT, in fact), and other than interface and keypad modernization, not a thing changed inside the house; even the equipment brands did not change.) Neither the original home-security company, or ADT, has an issue with CDV (that change occurred prior to the change in security providers).
3. When you have that many devices, the *router* becomes a bottleneck (especially if you have no access points to take the pressure off it) - seriously consider adding wireless APs in rooms with an existing wired (preferably gigabit) connection; the APs can be dedicated or even routers with their internal DNS turned off. Also, upgrade existing wired connections to gigabit where feasible.

michieru
Premium
join:2009-07-25
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
Just making a recommendation on the wireless APs.

»www.ubnt.com/unifi

The Pro model has two gigabit ports. A little expensive but a good solution for a permanent installation. I used several of their products and they include very nice features including VLAN support.

I use a Picostation for my home DVR because I am too lazy to drill through reinforced concrete.