FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to whamel

Re: SB6120 Firmware Updated (7/19/12)

said by whamel:

Whatever, at all costs,avoid the SB2120.

The SB6120, not 2120. And I have had an SB6120 for a couple years now. One I bought at Radio Shack. And it has not had even one problem the whole time I have owned it.
--
»www.mittromney.com/s/repeal-and-···bamacare
»www.mittromney.com/issues/health-care

whamel
billhamel .net
Premium
join:2002-05-09
Hinsdale, IL
kudos:10

I meant 6120, sorry.l I'm exhausted, And I still need to do work but I can't because my modem resets every time I do a FTP file transfer, or anything bandwidth intensive. With theSB6120, I couldn't even get internet to just post this reply to you.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by whamel:

I meant 6120, sorry.l I'm exhausted, And I still need to do work but I can't because my modem resets every time I do a FTP file transfer, or anything bandwidth intensive. With theSB6120, I couldn't even get internet to just post this reply to you.

If I understand your statements, the SB6120 is your own modem, and at this point you really don't know if your current connectivity problem is with your connection or with your modem. My suggestion would be to temporarily get a Comcast rental modem, and then it would be their responsibility to fix the connection (if the rental modem itself does not fix the problem). After that, you can hassle with Motorola for a replacement modem (if the SB6120 still has problems).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1
reply to GmDude66

My 6120 works flawlessly

cc_ryder

@comcast.net
reply to depster

Anyone know how/where to get the firmware update....suffering "non-existant" upload speed

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by cc_ryder :

Anyone know how/where to get the firmware update....suffering "non-existant" upload speed

Where: From Comcast.

How: You wait for Comcast to make it available in your area.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Youngjm

join:2002-04-01
Ada, MI
reply to GmDude66

I just rebooted my modem tonight and got the update:

Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.6-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 1.0

gsxxr1300

join:2012-08-05
West Palm Beach, FL
reply to GmDude66

I was having some issues a few weeks ago along that went along with the neighborhood moving to the new digital format that was numerous modem re-boots and loss of internet.

I had a tech out and he was blaming the modem and I told him that this is crazy and that there is nothing wrong with it. Now I see that I have a firmware update and it seems to be stable.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3
reply to sava700

Those speed increases will be mentioned here »[Speed] Northeast speed changes coming.. and updated as customers report in upon recieving it.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to whamel

Lemons happen but theres a reason why its a really popular modem series, because aside from those lemons, they work hard and consistant.

sava700

join:2005-03-08
united state
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

Those speed increases will be mentioned here »[Speed] Northeast speed changes coming.. and updated as customers report in upon recieving it.

I know I posted there too but just noting it - seems they are very slow rolling it out when they said a week in the release.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to cc_ryder

its quite possible that the upload speed issue you're having has nothing to do with the firmware of the modem or even the modem itself, it really could be an issue outside your house with the signal levels, with the splitters, or even the cabling itself as they can go bad overnight. Your best bet is to schedule a line technician to come out and check outside the lines. Be careful because sometimes when your asking for a technician they send out an installer instead and they sometimes they don't have the training or equipment to do the actual testing on the pole.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to gsxxr1300

In the beginning of my time with Comcast as my ISP I was using their rented RCA modem and was getting slower then 768k download speeds and had a tech come out and he was blaming the modem too, turns out after I made a series of calls to the phone techs and the purchasing of my own modem, they sent the wrong configuration file to the modem all along which was corrected within ten minutes.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

1 recommendation

reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

Your best bet is to schedule a line technician to come out and check outside the lines. Be careful because sometimes when your asking for a technician they send out an installer instead and they sometimes they don't have the training or equipment to do the actual testing on the pole.

You can't call in and schedule a "line technician", and even if you could, that would not be the appropriate first step. The best first step for cc_ryder would be to follow the instructions at the top of this forum on how to get help and create a new topic specific to their issue.

»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »How To Get Help!

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

well of course, it was assumed that those steps were already taken and the issue remained

JPnATL

join:2011-11-16
Bethlehem, GA
reply to cc_ryder

Does anybody know how or where I can get rid of this firmware update?

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Another cable provider. There isn't a way to remove the firmware update because Comcast rolls out the firmware nationwide at some point or another, and possibly eventually other ISP's will as well.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

Your best bet is to schedule a line technician to come out and check outside the lines. Be careful because sometimes when your asking for a technician they send out an installer instead and they sometimes they don't have the training or equipment to do the actual testing on the pole.

This is why their *standard operating procedure* is that only a premises facing tech can escalate an issue to the line / network / maintenance dept. techs.
Expand your moderator at work

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to GmDude66

Re: SB6120 Firmware Updated (7/19/12)

I've noticed a 'DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option' error. It was first on August 6, and then the log updated it to the 10th. Never really saw that before this latest firmware update.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4

Yes I get that too. I believe it's not important, just a notice that the MIMO has turned off IPv6 in the modem interface for the WAN side of the config pages. meaningless for the customer side but avoids an access error problem.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

I was getting a lot of weird errors the other day. Forgot to copy them but I did a "reset default" and rebooted and hadn't had any since that day.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to andyross

I too have been seeing the wierd errors such as the DHCP RENEW WARNING. I agree with tshirt.

CyberGuy

join:2006-08-21
Spokane, WA
reply to andyross

I've been noticing the same DHCP RENEW warning; additionally, when the error occurs the number of downstream channels drops from 4 to 3.

A modem reset will restore it to 4, but eventually the DHCP warning will pop again within a day or so and I'll notice some video stream stuttering and drops, checked and found both the error and downstream channels sitting at 3.

So I wouldn't say it's inconsequential, there's obviously something going on. I tried to report it to a Tier 1 tech the other night during a brief outage, but I don't think she understood and said everything looked good.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21

I am seeing that DHCP RENEW warning. I don't know if it is related, but have heard my wireless NIC reconnecting periodically, have never had that happen before, connection as always been solid. This workstation isn't far from the router.

I am also getting frequent periods of extremely slow page loads, also not typical. I don't know if this is related either, but it wasn't typical for my connection before the firmware upgrade.

If anyone else has seen the downstream channel numbers change like my image shows, from 1,2,3,4 to 61 through 64, I haven't noticed mention of it. It may not matter, but it seemed odd to me.

--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

Mine went from 35 to 36.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

Drizew

join:2004-09-17
Los Lunas, NM
reply to sortofageek

Click for full size
mine are now 97-100... That's odd. upstream area still 1 & 2.

As a side note. There is now DOCSIS 3 availability in New Mexico. I am not sure if someone else updated you. Screens for proof.

25/4 tier in NM (they say we can get up to 105)