share rss forum feed
Expand your moderator at work

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to GmDude66

Re: SB6120 Firmware Updated (7/19/12)

I've noticed a 'DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option' error. It was first on August 6, and then the log updated it to the 10th. Never really saw that before this latest firmware update.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4

Yes I get that too. I believe it's not important, just a notice that the MIMO has turned off IPv6 in the modem interface for the WAN side of the config pages. meaningless for the customer side but avoids an access error problem.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

I was getting a lot of weird errors the other day. Forgot to copy them but I did a "reset default" and rebooted and hadn't had any since that day.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3
reply to andyross

I too have been seeing the wierd errors such as the DHCP RENEW WARNING. I agree with tshirt.

CyberGuy

join:2006-08-21
Spokane, WA
reply to andyross

I've been noticing the same DHCP RENEW warning; additionally, when the error occurs the number of downstream channels drops from 4 to 3.

A modem reset will restore it to 4, but eventually the DHCP warning will pop again within a day or so and I'll notice some video stream stuttering and drops, checked and found both the error and downstream channels sitting at 3.

So I wouldn't say it's inconsequential, there's obviously something going on. I tried to report it to a Tier 1 tech the other night during a brief outage, but I don't think she understood and said everything looked good.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21

I am seeing that DHCP RENEW warning. I don't know if it is related, but have heard my wireless NIC reconnecting periodically, have never had that happen before, connection as always been solid. This workstation isn't far from the router.

I am also getting frequent periods of extremely slow page loads, also not typical. I don't know if this is related either, but it wasn't typical for my connection before the firmware upgrade.

If anyone else has seen the downstream channel numbers change like my image shows, from 1,2,3,4 to 61 through 64, I haven't noticed mention of it. It may not matter, but it seemed odd to me.

--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA

Mine went from 35 to 36.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

Drizew

join:2004-09-17
Los Lunas, NM
reply to sortofageek

Click for full size
mine are now 97-100... That's odd. upstream area still 1 & 2.

As a side note. There is now DOCSIS 3 availability in New Mexico. I am not sure if someone else updated you. Screens for proof.

25/4 tier in NM (they say we can get up to 105)

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to sortofageek

If you look on the config page, you'll see a "favorite frequency" which designates what your first channels will (try to) be, no matter what other channels are assigned, out of order allows for diversity, your neighbors may have 62,64,63,61 or even through a few others into the mix.

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
reply to sortofageek

I have seen certain combinations of downstream channels cause issues. Try the Virtualware QUALITY test and see if you have a large number of duplicate ACK errors and others like that.

»myspeed.visualware.com

Click on a YELLOW pushpin, then after the speed test loads, try the QUALITY test from the list on the right. If it seems to hang, the server may be too busy to accept a new connection.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

Did I pass?

--

CyberGuy

join:2006-08-21
Spokane, WA
reply to tshirt

Click for full size
What if it prefers a channel frequency that's no longer there after the DHCP renew warning? Channel 129 was assigned the 579000000 freq. which is no longer showing up.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to sortofageek

Click for full size
Channel listing as of 8-13 evening
I've seen that occasionally with the old firmware as well. I'm guessing it's a CMTS configuration change. Mine has it listed 1-8 still.

As for the wireless NIC, does it check for internet connectivity and make the noise if that fails, or is it physically dropping the connection to the router? If it's the latter, it could be something like a neighbor setting up a new wireless router on the same channel as yours and causing interference.
--
KI6RIT

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

It was dropping connection to the router. The sound happens when it reconnects. I should have mentioned it here sooner since, now that I have, it hasn't happened again.

I do see a couple of neighbors with possible channel conflicts, but not with me.
--

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL
reply to GmDude66

Got it here in Morton Grove.
I suspect it was waiting for a reboot.
I manually checked and all the statuses showed offline but the modem was working.
I rebooted from the GUI and during the reboot process it did a firmware upgrade (simultaneous blinking of send/receive etc.).
I rechecked the status pages and it confirmed the upgrade.
No telling how long it would have been it upgade pending status.
J

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to CyberGuy

So you got 130 instead, but their are different proceedures depending on if it was known that channel was going away, you could be told to switch to channel X, or just to re-range the following channels x,xx,xxx.
Since you haven't been reassign a different fav, I'd guess they expect to get 129 working again.
basicly it's just the starting point to establish 2-way comms, which is the hard part.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL
reply to GmDude66

Ping response from the DSLR monitor seems much flatter since the firmware upgrade.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to GmDude66

I've been getting several T3 errors since the update. Before I would very rarely get any T3/T4 errors.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
reply to GmDude66

Since the firmware update, I noticed that DHCP RENEW warning occurs exactly every 84 hours (3.5 days.).

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA

I don't get the DHCP warning on mine. Only seem to be getting TLV-11, MIMO Event MIMO, and some T3's.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM

I saw my first DHCP warning yesterday...

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9
reply to andyross

said by andyross:

Since the firmware update, I noticed that DHCP RENEW warning occurs exactly every 84 hours (3.5 days.).

FWIW, that sounds correct for the typical IP lease length of seven days which renews at *half life*. Bear in mind that this "DHCP" message is for the DOCSIS / WAN / management IP address for the modem and has nothing to do with anything connected to the LAN.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to GmDude66

Actually got the DHCP warning today.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
kudos:1

I have been getting the DHCP warnings for a week or so on my SB 6141 modem.

nysports4evr
Premium
join:2010-01-23
kudos:1
reply to GmDude66

I've been getting DHCP errors in my log since the FW update on by SB6120 as well.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to GmDude66

IMO, this version of the firmware shows those DHCP "warnings," but they are not an issue.

I suspect they were there with the older firmware or, at least, the same normal things were happening. We just didn't see them. They show up now at the intervals set by the DHCP server, but nothing bad is happening. It's just business as usual between you and that server.

If they set the intervals at six days, you would see the message every six days, but they would be just as unimportant to your connection as they are now.

If there was a problem with renewing your IP, you would lose connection. You would know there was a problem without even looking at those logs.
--

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

said by sortofageek:

If they set the intervals at six days, you would see the message every six days,

FWIW, typical IP lease lengths renew at their *half life*, so that may be three days.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

True, I just can't tell from the messages if that is the half-life check or not. The point, of course, is that those messages are not a problem. Just messages which can be ignored if one does not lose connection.
--