Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sidar

join:2000-07-20
Saint Albans, VT
reply to GmDude66

Re: SB6120 Firmware Updated (7/19/12)

Got it here on my SB6121 after a reset defaults/reboot from the GUI.

boehmb

join:2003-04-21
Glenview, IL
reply to GmDude66
Got it here in Glenview, Illinois, too.

mb

join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to SteveTeow
said by SteveTeow:

What results are you guys seeing with the new firmware?

No performance difference between old and new in NW Jersey.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to GmDude66
I did a reset to defaults and reboot and got the new firmware. No performance difference, but I am happy to see a firmware that is only a few months old as opposed to 2 years old. My Blast internet is still as fast as it was before.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2
reply to GmDude66
1. People are attributing all kinds of completely unrelated issues/changes to firmware.
2. Why are people so excited about updating firmware that probably does nothing for them? It may be that it does nothing but add the open source credits. Regardless, if it was THAT important, Comcast wouldn't require you to find out about it on broadbandreports.com and then manually reset the modem.

arw4f

join:2003-02-23
Lynchburg, VA
reply to johnnn
Reply to johnnn See Profile and SteveTeow See Profile -
I have a newly purchased SB6121 with 1.0.6.6 and am seeing exactly the same: Sporadic T4 timeouts and reboots throughout the day. Tech visited, all looks solid. When it's up, no complaints, but periodic reboots are starting to become very troublesome.

Are there known solutions to this issue? Or suggestions?

johnnn

join:2007-01-25
Ypsilanti, MI
quatrix's comments aside (it's obvious the firmware fixes known issues between Arris CMTSes and Motorola D3 devices), I have noticed stabilization after a few power cycles. No T4 timeouts since the first two intervals between power cycles, and no sporadic reboots. Did you have T4 timeouts prior to this firmware build, or did your 6121 come preloaded with it?

arw4f

join:2003-02-23
Lynchburg, VA
This is a 2 week old 6121 and came preloaded. I was on an old SB5120 before.

sendjunkmail

join:2008-08-01
reply to SteveTeow
I noted the firmware change after seeing it mentioned here. I did see that the modem was in IPV6 Modem IP Mode. I rebooted because of the speed-bump news on the internet and it moved back to IPV4 IP Mode.

Either way I saw no change in performance that I could discern. I ran a shaper probe after and my upstream shaping rate is halved but speed test show no change. I have 4 upstream and 3 downstream as before. On Ultra here.

I see some type of CMTS errors that are new:

Code: I401.0 Notice: TLV-11 - unrecognized OID

Code: Z00.0 Warning: MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;

johnnn

join:2007-01-25
Ypsilanti, MI
reply to arw4f
The 5120 was really solid; I used one prior to my 6120. Hopefully things stabilize for you soon...I'd recommend DMing ComcastSteve if there's no improvement!

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to ctggzg
said by ctggzg:

1. People are attributing all kinds of completely unrelated issues/changes to firmware.
2. Why are people so excited about updating firmware that probably does nothing for them? It may be that it does nothing but add the open source credits. Regardless, if it was THAT important, Comcast wouldn't require you to find out about it on broadbandreports.com and then manually reset the modem.

About updating firmware on any equipment. These are my own rules, because I have seen new firmware cause problems not caught in a company's alpha/beta testing, but only after release to the general public.

1. I like to see enough reports from the public that the new firmware does no harm.
2. If possible, I like to know the reason(s) for the firmware revision, to determine if it really affects me.
3. In a case like this with my ISP upgrading modem firmware, I prefer not to be first kid on the block to take a chance on bricking my modem. I wait for them to push it, hoping they know what they are doing. If they kill my modem, then I have some grounds to request compensation.
4. I make sure my equipment is plugged into a UPS when attempting a firmware upgrade.

In this case, I waited. Comcast upgraded my modem when they were ready with no help on my end. So far, I see no harm done and am "perceiving" nothing gained.

YMMV
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

That is the kind of advice that almost any tech or engineer would agree with. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(I just wish that I would always follow that same advice that I often give to others, and not be tempted by curiosity)

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
Still, you know the risks and you're ready to deal with them.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by sortofageek:

Still, you know the risks and you're ready to deal with them.

When dealing with a device where only the ISP can load the firmware, dealing with a bad firmware upgrade can be a PITA no matter how much experience the end user has.

That was the case back in May when I foolishly rebooted my SMCD3G to see for myself what all the commotion was about with the new firmware...that took my network offline twice, once for the original bad firmware load, and again when Comcast pushed the old firmware back because of the problems (and both cases required calling tech support because I no longer had access to the SMCD3G to even attempt to fix anything myself).

As you said in your earlier post, If Comcast is not actually pushing the firmware to the devices, it is always a good idea to wait and see what happens to the early takers (the leading edge is often the bleeding edge).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

sendjunkmail

join:2008-08-01
reply to sortofageek
I take a similar approach but more willing to experiment. For example my new wireless router I am running beta firmware put out by the manufacturer's developers. Completely new interface, and offers a lot more control.

Besides assuring the open source community is getting it's due credit (shame on Motorola if they didn't before), aren't there a number of credible fixes in the new firmware? In fact we should have been running it a long time ago. Other ISPs pushed out the firmware more than a year ago. So they were more than cautious with Comcast.

Some of those may be security related etc. So in some cases the old engineering approach of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" may no longer apply when it comes to security or at least I evaluate if those issues impact me as part of the decision, some level of caution that others are reporting no issues.

In this case, you had no choice but to wait. If I had a choice to update my modem firmware I would have last year. If I fried it, then I accepted the risk by installing in the first place.

cooperaaaron

join:2004-04-10
Joliet, IL
reply to SuperNet9
Got it in Joliet

bman212121

join:2005-06-09

1 edit
reply to johnnn
That might be exactly what happened. They probably pushed an update to the CMTS first and that starting causing any of the modems that weren't updated to go crazy. I was informed that the internet went down again around noon today and it took a while to come back up. Didn't get a chance to see if I already had the firmware but I definitely have it now. One of my upstreams is reporting T4 timeout at the moment, so it might require a reboot tonight to get all 3 of them back online.

EDIT: Well it already rebooted itself again... It did fix the one upstream that was down... The one interesting thing though is now the upstream channels are listed in reverse from before. I used to have the 16QAM as the first one, then 2 64QAMs. Now the 2 64QAMs are listed as 1 & 2, and the 16 QAM is last. Not sure if that makes any difference or not.

androgue

@comcast.net
reply to GmDude66
Received the firmware update in Aurora, IL. I was setup for IPv6 with the updated firmaware but it has reverted to IPv4 after a reboot a day later.

grandrew
Premium
join:2003-12-11
Dayton, VA
reply to GmDude66
Can anyone confirm that this firmware update fixes an issue where the 6120 reboots itself. Mine was doing that for four weeks now. It has been okay since the firmware upgrade, but still wonder if that was/is the issue.

Andrew J
Premium
join:2001-11-09
Lancaster, PA
reply to GmDude66
Got it in Lancaster, PA on 7-25. Don't see any difference and never had a reboot problem.
--
Best Team.

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
reply to GmDude66
Got the update in West Linn, Oregon.

neil0311

join:2005-07-24
Marietta, GA
reply to GmDude66
Got it here just outside Atlanta

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to telcodad
Got it here in Monmouth County, NJ now.

My neighborhood had a 1 1/2 hour power outage overnight, exhausting the UPS my SB6121 was on. When power was restored and the modem booted up, the new firmware was downloaded to it.

Except for the new "Open Source" tab and those new error messages in the log like everyone else has reported, the operation and performance of the modem appears to be the same.

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to GmDude66
We had a cable outage last night but the power stayed on. I just checked and we have the new firmware. Danbury, CT system.
--
Old dogs can learn new tricks!

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
No cable outage here last night, though the power did go out for a few seconds.

I just got the new firmware.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to GmDude66
Got it in Ukiah, CA. I did a reset to defaults and reboot a few minutes ago and it grabbed it. For the first time in years, I got to see my config file :D.

SW Download INIT - Via Config file d11_m_sb6120_bciwidebanddeluxe_c05.cm

--
KI6RIT

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19
reply to GmDude66
Got it here in Chicago but does it really do anything?

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by tigerpaw509:

Got it here in Chicago but does it really do anything?

Aside from the Open Source tab on the modem page, I see no significant changes brought about by the new firmware.

My speed test runs show the same speeds as prior to the upgrade.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to GmDude66

(topic move) [IPv6] When will they roll out IPv6 where I am?

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 2 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[IPv6] When will they roll out IPv6 where I am?

Explanation: IPv6 is not related to this firmware upgrade.

Anubis Prime

join:2001-06-01
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to GmDude66

Re: SB6120 Firmware Updated (7/19/12)

I was told by Xfinity to reboot to get the upgraded speeds for Blast! That tab also appeared for me as well...
--
Give me Liberty, or I'll give you death!