Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Rental modems only

Most of the modems I see at Best Buy only support channel bonding on four channels. I am pretty sure you'll need 8 downstream channels to achieve this speed. Or maybe DOCSIS 4.0 is in the pipes.

I am sure Comcast is not going to allow customer owned modems on this tier.

I just upgraded my grandma's modem on Time Warner in Maine to DOCSIS 3.0 and the one they gave me (an Ubee EMTA/wireless gateway) is 8x4 channel bonding. TWC will not accept customer owned modems unless they are 8x4 as the Moto 6120/6121 is not on their approved modem list.

Premium
join:2012-06-11

305/65 mb and PR go together! LOL

There will be VERY few almost NO takers of this service tier, because it will be too expensive. I think this puffed stuffed shirt brass tack PR crap is ludicrous.

Tomcat353

join:2002-12-27
Jacksonville, FL

1 recommendation

If this speed is offered in Jacksonville FL, I'll be one of the people on it. I'm on 105/20 now in a house with 6 computers, 2 tablets, and several connected consoles so I utilize my bandwidth to the full extent. The more the better.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to IowaCowboy

There are new 16x4 and 24x4 modems in work. The chips to do that were announced a few weeks ago at the Cable Show. There is supposed to be the capability to go to 32x4 using a modification of those chips. Further in the future is 8 channel upstream bonding. »ipkonfig.com/intel-shows-1gbits-···and-chip. The speed Comcast is proposing to do will be accommodated by new modems.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

said by davidhoffman:

There are new 16x4 and 24x4 modems in work. The chips to do that were announced a few weeks ago at the Cable Show. There is supposed to be the capability to go to 32x4 using a modification of those chips. Further in the future is 8 channel upstream bonding. »ipkonfig.com/intel-shows-1gbits-···and-chip. The speed Comcast is proposing to do will be accommodated by new modems.

My guess is that the current modem chips are NOT flashable to handle 32/8 channel bonding. Most, if not all docsis 3 modems have gigabit ethernet WAN. Perhaps they should put these chips on a swappable retrofit board so that the other modem hardware can be reused the way they did with some analog modems and computer equipment in the past.

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
reply to IowaCowboy

Oh noes - the Ubee? (Seriously - they used to be AMBIT before the name-change to reflect their most prevalent product - the UBEE family of cable modems and EMTAs; they had so many problems that even here on DSLR comments about getting *stung* still abound. When I put my Moto SB-5120 on the shelf and went to the local Comcast office, I had two choices for a lease-only D3 cable modem - one of several Ubees or the ARRIS WBM-760A. (All were in fact, quite literally, fresh off the UPS truck - UPS had delivered them while I was in line. These were not used cable modems.) Ubee's rep is horrible - ARRIS's rep is excellent. And both ARRIS products we have (the ARRIS 422G EMTA on addition to the WBM-760A D3 cable modem) are excellent.) Don't get stung, my friend - in the future, avoid Ubee.