All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to haroldo

to haroldo

Re: Central air conditioner on/off? Old wives tale?

I leave mine at 72 degrees 24/7.

With pets there is always something living and breathing at home.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn

Anon

Your pets did not evolve in an air-conditioned environment. Their bodies can handle temperature changes. I'm sure they'll do just fine if it's a little warmer during the day, especially if they're warm-blooded animals.

dosdoxies
Premium Member
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA

dosdoxies to TheTechGuru

Premium Member

to TheTechGuru
said by TheTechGuru:

I bump mine up to 78 or 80 when I leave the house. Dogs have yet to say anything to me. 80 feels pretty good when it's 100 outside.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by dosdoxies:

said by TheTechGuru:

I bump mine up to 78 or 80 when I leave the house. Dogs have yet to say anything to me. 80 feels pretty good when it's 100 outside.

How would you expect them to tell you if they didn't like it?

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro

Premium Member

said by Draiman:

said by dosdoxies:

Dogs have yet to say anything to me. 80 feels pretty good when it's 100 outside.

Woof?

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by cowboyro:

said by Draiman:

said by dosdoxies:

Dogs have yet to say anything to me. 80 feels pretty good when it's 100 outside.

Woof?

You mean the same thing that means: I'm hungry, I'm happy your home, A stranger is at the door, I want to play, I'm not feeling good, leave me alone, throw the ball, pet me, etc.? We can only WISH animals could communicate well enough to tell us stuff like they are hot. At 100 degrees out they don't even bark while outside. Your only indication they are hot is panting since they don't have sweat glands.

cowboyro
Premium Member
CT

cowboyro

Premium Member

said by Draiman:

You mean the same thing that means: I'm hungry, I'm happy your home, A stranger is at the door, I want to play, I'm not feeling good, leave me alone, throw the ball, pet me, etc.? We can only WISH animals could communicate well enough to tell us stuff like they are hot. At 100 degrees out they don't even bark then while outside. Your only indication they are hot is panting since they don't have sweat glands.

It's not the same woof. Not even close. If you pay attention to a dog you'll notice the difference. There is one woof for "I want inside", one for "there is someone at the door" another one for "I want out to pee", another one for "I want a treat".

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by cowboyro:

said by Draiman:

You mean the same thing that means: I'm hungry, I'm happy your home, A stranger is at the door, I want to play, I'm not feeling good, leave me alone, throw the ball, pet me, etc.? We can only WISH animals could communicate well enough to tell us stuff like they are hot. At 100 degrees out they don't even bark then while outside. Your only indication they are hot is panting since they don't have sweat glands.

It's not the same woof. Not even close. If you pay attention to a dog you'll notice the difference. There is one woof for "I want inside", one for "there is someone at the door" another one for "I want out to pee", another one for "I want a treat".

There's some variations but it's not consistent. On a DAILY basis the wife and I get confused what the dog wants. He's either trying to go potty or wants to play. If we open the door he'll go out yet if we pick up a ball he'll play. We can guess all we want. If they bark and your not there to hear it then it really doesn't matter anyways. You walk in the door and now they bark since they are happy your home. How can you figure out they were hot? Install a camera to record it? Just saying. If we only had one way to communicate multiple things can you imagine the complete chaos we'd have in the world? You assume this, I assume that, & someone else assumes yet another thing. Craziness!

cowboyro
Premium Member
CT

cowboyro

Premium Member

said by Draiman:

There's some variations but it's not consistent. On a DAILY basis the wife and I get confused what the dog wants. He's either trying to go potty or wants to play. If we open the door he'll go out yet if we pick up a ball he'll play.

I can tell exactly what my lab wants. If he's outside and he wants inside his bark is high-pitched. If he notices something suspicious the bark is totally different, very low pitched, plus the tail is up like a flag. If he wants a treat his bark is softer.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by cowboyro:

said by Draiman:

There's some variations but it's not consistent. On a DAILY basis the wife and I get confused what the dog wants. He's either trying to go potty or wants to play. If we open the door he'll go out yet if we pick up a ball he'll play.

I can tell exactly what my lab wants. If he's outside and he wants inside his bark is high-pitched. If he notices something suspicious the bark is totally different, very low pitched, plus the tail is up like a flag. If he wants a treat his bark is softer.

That's great. You should consider taking it up as a profession. My sister in law is a professional dog trainer and we've been to dozens of classes with ours. He's an agility junkie. After THOUSANDS of dollars in training we still can't figure it out. Sometimes we can sometimes we can't. Imagine if all pets were the same and all owners knew exactly what they wanted or meant. We can't even achieve that with 2 HUMANS both talking a different language!

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to TheTechGuru

Premium Member

to TheTechGuru
said by TheTechGuru:

What's your electric bill?

I keep an ok insulated w/pool home at 76 or 77 and I just got a $240 bill.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by mityfowl:

said by TheTechGuru:

We keep ours 75 degrees 24/7. Just got a bill for $131.00. Billing period from 6/12 to 7/17. Worked out to be 33 kW/day.

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mityfowl

Premium Member

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by mityfowl:

said by TheTechGuru:

We keep ours 75 degrees 24/7. Just got a bill for $131.00. Billing period from 6/12 to 7/17. Worked out to be 33 kW/day.

Pool pumps the last time I figured it out is about $60-70/mo in the summer. It's probably a little warmer here and I still have 28 year old builder grade thermelpane windows in addition to 11 leaded glass windows.

I know I would be cold at 72.

I keep my office at 72. That's for dress clothes.

TheTechGuru
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to mityfowl

to mityfowl
said by mityfowl:

said by TheTechGuru:

$165.75 for 1976 kWh

I've averaged 2000 kWh a month just about anywhere I've ever lived whether it has central a/c or window units. Right now I have 4 window units set at 72.

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mityfowl

Premium Member

said by TheTechGuru:

said by mityfowl:

said by TheTechGuru:

$165.75 for 1976 kWh

I've averaged 2000 kWh a month just about anywhere I've ever lived whether it has central a/c or window units. Right now I have 4 window units set at 72.

$240 for 2780 kwh. Pretty much $.081/kwh counting everything.

2500 sq ft ranch and shorts are a way of life when you're not working here.

TheTechGuru
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to mityfowl

to mityfowl
said by mityfowl:

Pool pumps the last time I figured it out is about $60-70/mo in the summer. It's probably a little warmer here and I still have 28 year old builder grade thermelpane windows in addition to 11 leaded glass windows.

Pool pumps all depend on the HP, I recommend using a 1/2 HP unless there is some real need for something bigger.

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mityfowl

Premium Member

said by TheTechGuru:

said by mityfowl:

Pool pumps all depend on the HP, I recommend using a 1/2 HP unless there is some real need for something bigger.

A half horse wouldn't even run the Polaris.

Thanks for your input.

TheTechGuru
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

We had a pool that was 15 feet across by 40 feet long and 5 feet deep that had a single skimmer and a 1/2 HP on it for 10 years.

Polaris is a make of jet ski as far as I know.

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mityfowl

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by TheTechGuru:

We had a pool that was 15 feet across by 40 feet long and 5 feet deep that had a single skimmer and a 1/2 HP on it for 10 years.

I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about but....

You might want to edit your name.

TheTechGuru
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

said by mityfowl:

said by TheTechGuru:

I vacuum pools the old fashioned way by hand so I have never looked into any of the "lazy" solutions.

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mityfowl

Premium Member

said by TheTechGuru:

said by mityfowl:

said by TheTechGuru:

I vacuum pools the old fashioned way by hand so I have never looked into any of the "lazy" solutions.

You must not "vacuum" anybodies pool that looks good.

Sorry man you need to learn a bit more. Polaris is the gold standard in pool cleaning.

TheTechGuru
TEXAS

1 edit

TheTechGuru

said by mityfowl:

You must not "vacuum" anybodies pool that looks good.

Sorry man you need to learn a bit more. Polaris is the gold standard in pool cleaning.

I only needed to vac the pool once a week, didn't have trees hanging over it and no grass/dirt around it.

You must live in some rich fantasy world if you think this is the standard, most apartment complexes still have a pool guy come out twice a week to clean it. I've toured many properties owned by Western Rim and never saw one of these devices at the pool.

Do you use a UV filter?