share rss forum feed

Nexis

join:2002-04-29
USA
Reviews:
·US Cellular
reply to OverUtilized

Re: [IA] DCC-ACK Not Received ??

The DCC-ACK error is also known as ranging. This can be caused if you are a HSD only subscriber who still has the old style trap in place. The reason behind this is as follows

In Eastern Iowa, and I assume most other areas the original channel for the modems was channel A-2 (98), Channel A-1 (99) was added to support other functions. The traps that were in use before the DOCSIS 3.0 standard block all video channels with the exception of channels A-1 & A-2, and return path (5-50mhz). DOCSIS 3.0 adds 2 more channels for a total of at least 4. The channels have to be all in the same pod, so we now use Channels A-2 (98), A-1 (99), A (14), B (15). Problem arises when the CMTS tells the modem to move from channel A-2 or A-1 to A or B. The older traps block channels A & B so no matter how hard the modem tries to hear the CMTS on those channels, it never will.

If your not a HSD only subscriber it could be as simple as a bad fitting somewhere. Keep in mind that low frequencies cant jump and high frequencies cant swim. Being that all the channels in use for the modem are in mid-band or lower, it makes them all low frequencies. A bad barrel in a wall plate, a hidden splice in a wall, damage from a nail for hanging a picture, pulling the cable to get just that extra little reach, or coiling it up tight, ect ect can cause this. Sometimes you will see elevated transmit levels or lower then expected receive levels.

If you live in, and own a house we can track down and fix the problem. If its a rental or a apartment building it can be a little more tricky. We can only do so much in a situation like this. We can replace fittings and splitters, but usually we are prevented from replacing lines and the such.

mr_boodog

join:2008-08-12
Good information; thanks for sharing. I haven't had any issues since swapping the modem, but am still monitoring the situation. I am only subscribed to HSI, and am not sure about the type of traps. Here are the stats from the replaced modem.

Cable Signal Details
Forward Path:
Channel Frequency Power SNR BER Modulation
1 111.0 MHz 0.6 dBmV 39.5 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
2 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
3 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
4 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
5 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
6 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
7 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
8 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
Return Path:
Channel ID Frequency Power Modulation
2 32.0 MHz 47.0 dBmV 16 QAM
0 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV QPSK
0 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV QPSK
0 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV QPSK

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:121
mr_boodog, your signals are looking great at the moment.

mr_boodog

join:2008-08-12
Thanks for verifying the signal strengths. With new device, I have had 5 days straight without any of those constant modem resets.

Chad, we all appreciate your assistance, patience, and help in troubleshooting some of these weird scenarios.

Jeff

OverUtilized

join:2011-03-30
Traer, IA

OverUtilized

join:2011-03-30
Traer, IA
reply to mr_boodog
said by mr_boodog:

Thanks for verifying the signal strengths. With new device, I have had 5 days straight without any of those constant modem resets.

Chad, we all appreciate your assistance, patience, and help in troubleshooting some of these weird scenarios.

Jeff

I agree Chad has kept me in the loop. I also live in a small town in Iowa and there is only one tech that services the town, he is great also and has stopped by on spare time to see if anything has improved.